Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2002, 09:26 AM   #1
MagiK

Ok, It seems that the smaller countries are worried about not being represented properly. I would think, that this problem is identicle to the one faced by smaller states in the US when we formed our country. Perhaps someone ought to suggest something similar to our Electoral College which was designed to address this specific type of problem. What do you all think? (Please no flames, Im just asking.)

Here is the link to the news story.
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1012571727166

Old 06-10-2002, 04:44 PM   #2
Charean
Hathor

Just my 2 cents (or pesos, or lire) but the electoral college is sadly outdated here... I would hate to see EU making our mistakes. I was hoping they could make new ones we could learn from! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Seriously... I hope they figure a better system than this one. I guess we will find out in Autumn when they hold elections.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:55 PM   #3
Thoran
Galvatron

I disagree that the Electoral College is outdated... in the last election it performed EXACTLY the service for which it was intended. It represents a compromise between states rights and federalism, and as such it's functioning just swell.

In Europe a similar approach could be used to insure smaller countries have a say in the policies of the EU. Here in the states we've forgotten all about the old states rights debates... but the Civil War was at least partly fought over that concept. Dem's in the US complain over the slightly higher number Al got last election, but if you look at the election by sheer land mass, the vast majority of the country went Republican, with Dem strongholds on the coasts (in population centers) balancing the vote. I personally think if you want to get rid of the Electoral College you might as well get rid of states altogether and just make us one big homogenous country... which I think is a pretty bad idea.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:11 PM   #4
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

The President of Europe... now that is scary, what language would they speak? what nationality would they be? I thjink it would show America up if they had some blond-haired blue-eyed woman placed in the office... LOL
Old 06-10-2002, 05:18 PM   #5
MagiK

Well this isn't a thread about the merits of the Electoral College in the USA today, I was suggesting it to what appears to be a struggling Union of European State that has to find a way to address the fears of its smaller members [img]smile.gif[/img] Nations that are coming into being need to start with basics first and advance as they evolve. Or I could be seeing the whole EU thing in the wrong light. Either way it should be interesting.

Old 06-10-2002, 05:19 PM   #6
Moni

What's this world coming to?!
There is no way an electoral college could work. They are separate nations, not separate states within a nation...smaller countries would never have fair representation.

Old 06-10-2002, 05:21 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Moni is right, it would never work.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:18 PM   #8
Sir Goulum
John Locke

The only way it COULD work is if Europe joined to make 1 country. Then they could have the President of Europe
Old 06-10-2002, 06:38 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
The only way it COULD work is if Europe joined to make 1 country. Then they could have the President of Europe
now, who would want a thing like that ?
Old 06-10-2002, 07:05 PM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I dunno. but its the only for it to work!