Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2002, 10:50 AM   #21
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Stupid things like this happena ll the time. Here in Montreal, a guy lost all his money playing lottery machines. He is now suing the lotto company for not recognizing his addiction and stopping him.
And how about smokers who get cancer and sue the tobacco companies? I have no sympathy for the tobacco companies (peddlers of death), but they didn't hold anyone down and force the cigarettes into their mouths...
Old 05-08-2002, 12:03 PM   #22
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
This is where trainign can come in handy

If I ever came across a burglar I could take them down without hitting them. Nerve Points, locks, holds, all that sort of thing

Teh trouble is you don't know in advance if a burglar's armed or not so taking them down quick as possible is sensible thing to do to be honest
In the states, the person would sue you because they would claim that your nerve lock was improperly administered and caused permanent soft tissue and nerve damage, you would be liable for millions [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2002, 12:11 PM   #23
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
But the burgalur wasn't really trying to rob the guy he just wanted to break and enter the night club
How did you expect the owner of the place to know this? The guy scaled a 3m concrete wall to get in.

Quote:
which he never accomplished, hence he didn't do anything wrong, he only attempted,
Not really. The mere act of attempting a break-and-enter is an offence in itself. If I try to shoplift from a store, and am caught before I succeed, I'm pretty sure I still did something wrong.

Quote:
and attempt is outweighed by the act taken by the man with the blunt object who smashed his head in
So if he had actually succeeded in breaking into the club, then the owner smashing his head in would then be justified? Or should the owner just have jumped up and said "BOO!" (It worked for Minsc)

Quote:
[img]tongue.gif[/img] It's stupid, but that's justice for ya...
Well...you reap what you sow, in my opinion.

Old 05-08-2002, 12:30 PM   #24
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:

There was a case in NZ a few years back where a farmer went to trial for the murder of a guy that had entered his house with the intent to burglarise it. The farmer called out to the burglar that he had a gun and if he didn't leave than he would use it. The burglar didn't leave so the farmer shot him. The farmer ended up getting off and so he should have IMHO[/QB]
The biggest difference between the farmer and myself is that I wouldn't shout a warning. If someone breaks into my house, there's a gun waiting for them on the other side. No questions asked and no warning given.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:25 PM   #25
Azred
Drow Priestess

For years here in the US differing groups of politicians and watchdog organizations have tried to pass laws that restructure the system of civil suits to guard against frivilous lawsuits. Unfortunately, the trial lawyers lobby has helped prevent passage of these corrections to the judicial system, arguing that the ability to sue others is sometimes the only "justice" that some people will ever get.
Lawsuit abuse leads to all kinds of costs--most importantly are the increased insurance premia everyone has to pay. Every time a major corporation is sued fivolously they simply raise prices and/or reduce wages/employment to cover those litigation costs.

Enough ranting....

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:54 PM   #26
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You can say that I'm unsympathetic, but I think the Fox deserved all that he got. If he wants to do something idiotic and illegal, he should be prepared to face all the consequences, including death; after all, he could have been shot, maimed or anything.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:09 PM   #27
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

There was a case in California around 10 years back. A guy was trying to break in via a skylight and fell through. While in prison he sued and won around $200,000 I think.
If someone breaks into my house I will beat the shit out of them and possibly shoot them. If someone breaks into/steals tools from my truck I will beat the shit out of them. No questions asked or mercy given until they are laying in a pool of blood at my feet. I have been hit by thieves and lost thousands of dollars worth of tools due to them. So have many of my friends. I make my living with tools. To take them away costs me more than having my VCR stolen (which has happened) and if I ever catch one I'll need a good lawyer.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:54 PM   #28
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

personaly , if I found a burgar in my house I would kill and dispose of him in my septic tank. If he broke in , then obviously he wasnt seen , SO prove he was ever there in the first place!!
Old 05-08-2002, 10:01 PM   #29
Animal
Gold Dragon

If someone were to break into my house, my dog would rip them limb from limb, yet the suyspect could sue me for damages? What in the h*ll is this? How is that justice? I figure my dog should be allowed to do what he wants, after all, it's his house. They'd better hope the dog finishes them off, before I find them though.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:25 PM   #30
Epona
Zartan

Referring back to my earlier post about excessive/reasonable force, I do feel there's a difference between what I think ethically I ought to do (reasonable force) and what I would actually do in that situation.

Well to put a personal angle on it, I've been burgled - fortunately while I was out (made me mad as hell) - and as I've posted before I've been attacked while I was in bed, so I'll spare you the detail.

Until the latter happened, I didn't really know what I would do if I found an intruder, you don't always until you're in that position. And I was f*cking angry as hell. So despite rationalising that reasonable force should be the way to go, I know damn well that being in a real situation where you think you might be in danger is a million miles away from that.