Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2002, 10:57 AM   #1
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Guys,

After playing this for a loooong time, with 3 different characters I've come to certain conclusions.

1- Gameplay is repetetive, what is nice at first soon becomes tedious.

2- It's too easy to become a "Super" character, not once did I get killed in battle, ever.

3- I'm sure glad I didn't actually buy this game.

In it's favour, it looks very nice, you've got open ended play which is great, the user mods are great too.

Your thoughts?.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:58 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
That depends.... what game are we talking about ???
Never mind.... i was actually thinking i was in GD.... ROFL

[ 10-21-2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 10-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #3
B_part
Quintesson

1- Every game is repetitive if you play for a looong time, be it Fifa 2002, Unreal tournament 2003 or Monkey Island 2 (Remember that? No? Too Bad!). Morrowind is far less repetitive than most games: of course you can approach everything in the hack'n'slash way, but you have many more options which are far more subtle than brute force, and the sheer number of quests you can get makes you busy with different things for a lot of time. Also, what makes TESM different is the depth of the world itself: just as an example, you have as many as 4 religions in Morrowind: Imperial cult, Tribunal cult, Daedra Cult and of course the lost Dwemer cult of machines which comes out here and there if you look deep enough among the books (yes, you should read them, not only open them for the skill bonus then sell them for cash). Each of these religions is deeply involved in the Morrowind history, which is vast and controversial (yes, there are different accounts of some events, like the death of Nerevar, given by the different cults).
What I am saying is that what makes morrowind great is the fact that Bethesda has created a world which looks true in almost all aspects. Obviously, once you start to know Balmora better than your own house, the novelty wears off...

The only fault I find in this game setting is about the interaction with NPC's, which could have been more various and interesting - for example the latest rumors topic is invariably about abolitionists if you are far from a city in which you might find a quest. Also you can be Imperial cult master and join the temple, although the cults rival each other, or you can be Thieves Guild and join house Hlaalu (which controls Camonna Tong, the rival sindicate), and so on with some other subtle incongruities. But if you want a real-in-every-aspect world, don't look for it on your screen, just shut down the comp and go out.

2)Yes, you are right, leveling up is too easy. Another incongruity: NPC's that shout out "N!szock!!bump!..."(..ow you die) when engaging a level 50 charachter... common sense suggests that they should escape, and quickly.

3)I will buy the Tribunal expansion as well, if it ever comes out on PC.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:32 PM   #4
B_part
Quintesson

Question Mark

Oh, and speaking of powerplaying, ever tried being a vampire with a charachter lvl 45 who has 100 in speed, strength, acrobatics and athletics - and then wear the boots of blinding speed? you can run along entire foyadas jumping among the cliffs of the mountain on the sides... the only disadvantage is that you usually bump into cliff racers face first...
B_part is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:20 PM   #5
Rageheart
Emerald Dragon

Question Mark

vampire, gotta try it.....

[img]graemlins/lightning.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2002, 11:22 PM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

the only thing i really DONT LIKE in this game the fact that NPC dont help you if you are being clobbered silly except if that NPC is a guard... GRRRR...

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:45 AM   #7
Grungi
Banned User

this game takes a LONG time to get boring which is the mark of a good game, they say a good game should have at least 50 playing hours with no boredom, and i think i somewhat surpassed that with ease obviously a multiplayer aspect would add another 500 hours or more as it always tends to do but would be hard to make morrowind multiplayer effectively as half the fun is trying to be the next guild leader. Still saying that i just reinstalled baldurs gate for another bash and though i got bored of that after many hours of playing and completing it, im finding it immense fun again some three years on, still a classic morrowind though has 10 times more monsters, areas, quests etc than baldurs gate does still i love both.
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:46 AM   #8
Grungi
Banned User

instead of lamenting the boredom you now feel in morrowind please make a nice big plugin expansion whereby i can become the next evil dark lord and go slaughter some villages?
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote