Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2001, 05:09 AM   #1
DaNiSeL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I always have problems taking out mindflyers .

does someone know a good way to make the battle easy ?

greetz Daniel
Old 03-16-2001, 05:45 AM   #2
Kellin da Mage
Dungeon Master

Skeletions are immune to their attacks. Summon waves of them, eventually they thin down the hurd. It takes a very long time. There are also ways to make yourself tempoarly immune to their attacks. Phycialy they suck in a fight, long as your immune to them. Watch out for their Umber Hulk buddies though. Make sure your protected from their spells too.

My soulition in the underdark was my fighter/mage, with a cloak of reflection, immunity to charm magic, stoneskin, hasted, using brine potions, with tenser's transformation on him. Then run in the room with your 5 undead buddies and commence ta killen anything that moves. Leave your party way way way far behind. After about 30 seconds or so the flyers seem to run out of psionic juice and you can bring the rest of the party up for mopping.

------------------
--Kellin da Mage--
Old 03-16-2001, 05:55 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here are some interesting mindflayer strategies. May contain minor spoilers further down the thread.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-16-2001, 08:27 AM   #4
Maestro_v69
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There are two spells which can aid you greatly against Mind Flayers. First, the level 5 priest spell Chaotic Commands makes you immune to their psionic blast, stun, and domination attacks, making you able to go toe-to-toe with them. If you have any, use potions of intelligence, as a melee hit from an Illithid will drain 4 INT points, which, if they reach 0, you will die. Also, Cloudkill does wonders against Umber Hulks, because it kills them almost instantaneously, possibly because they have only 4-6 hit dice.
Old 03-16-2001, 09:28 AM   #5
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

mini-spoiler
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Also don't use the spell cloudkill, Use the wand of cloud kill for some reason it dosen't check the magic resistance on Mindflanyers. Invisible stalker are good too. But for some reason every now and then I cloud send wave after wave of skeleton Warriors and invisible stalker they would always die in two seconds. Other times I send one skelleton warrior and he almost clears the entire map by himself.

If you have a thief (at this point my assasin had X6 backstab) mind shiled him wear the cloak of non-detection with potions of invisibility. while your skeletons keep the flayers busy backstab them in oblivion in the name of Humanity! I did in all the mindflayers in the swears with my assasin left over brine potions and invisible potions, while my team kept the thralls busy.

Old 03-16-2001, 09:40 AM   #6
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Spoilish...

Yes, Invisible Stalker is VERY good. So is sending in a Demon (GATE spell, level 7 Priest)or Summon Fiend (Level 8 Wizard) If you don't have the level yet, use scrolls, they are not too hard to come by or buy. YOU MUST CAST Protection from Evil on party first, though, or they attack you, too.

And you need to check that the spell hasn't been wiped off your team by opposing magic, too. Make sure you have some single person Prot /Evil spells to top up individual team members. Also any spell armour and other protection from magic spells you have.
F.
Old 03-16-2001, 09:46 AM   #7
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

The chaotic command spell is the best to use. It lasts a very long time. Mind flayers are weak physically so cast chaotic commands on one or two of your tank characters and just send them out to deal with the flayers. I cleared the whole flayer city with just my pc fighter and one casting of chaotic commands. If you start to lose intelligence run away and close a door behind you until you get the points back.

------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to visit this board.
Old 03-16-2001, 09:52 AM   #8
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Memnoch! Thanks for that thread! VERY useful info. I had no idea of using those potions - always thought they were pretty useless, and the spells suggested are much safer than the tactics I used! I guess I am just a stupid bulldozer!
F.