Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2001, 07:45 PM   #1
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I havent bought this game yet but its been highly recomended to me by Sazerac [img]smile.gif[/img] How do the rest of you like it? I guess I'm a bit skittish after paying $60 for the piece of (crap) Pool of Radiance and want to be reassured so I can buy W8 this weekend. I dont see anyone bitching, but is there anything I should be aware of?
Old 12-13-2001, 07:56 PM   #2
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

My personal opinion is - it's a great game. I love it. The only thing I don't like about it is when you're in combat mode and you're a distance from your enemies, you can't run right up to them and fight. You have to wait a round before you can walk or run and it's kind of limited. Other than that, I am having so much fun playing this game. The graphics are excellent, the storyline is good and I don't mind the mixture of sci-fi and wizardry.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:33 PM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

its the best crpg i have played in a LOOOONG time! it has everything. and if you're skittish, i understand. i bought the Collector's Edition of POR2 for me and my bf... LOL! i was lucky he didn't give me my walking papers... so i got doubly whacked on that.

the reviews are pouring in at the online gaming sites and the reviewers love it! gamespy just posted their review yesterday, so check it out if you like. it's easily a 9.5 out of 10.

it has everything a rpg should have. hours of fun making your party, making endless re-starting available there! the storyline is decent, and the gameplay fun! it is turnbased, so if you don't like tb you may wanna think it over and try the demo to see.

i haven't run into ANYONE who has expressed any reservations about this game yet. from one gamer to another, it seems like so many promises have been made, most of them broken and some outright fakes... this game renews the pledge. and as soon as you start having the time of your life, it gets better, because you realize this game is looong!!!

unless you don't like sci fi elements mixed in with your fantasy, this is the REAL DEAL!
Old 12-13-2001, 09:20 PM   #4
Sharr the Bard
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree. If you like Baldur's Gate, M&M, Wizardry, or any of the classic 'Gold box' AD&D games, you'll LOVE wizardry 8.

It's a real time eater. My wife's been complaining that I spend most of my time with this game instead of her. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Don't worry, it's way better than Pool of Radience.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:22 PM   #5
Dajjer
The Magister

I think this is one of the best "games" of the year. Most people on this board aren't of the mind of liking the game, they are of the mind of loving the game. The last game I played with this much positive game buzz was No One Lives Forever.

And most player aren't even arguing about how great the game is. The typical response when a perspective player wants to know about the game is "Try the demo."

I tried the demo and only played it for about 20 minutes. The demo was so good that I stopped playing and waited until the full version came out.
Dajjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 09:24 PM   #6
Demosthenes
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As a 20 year veteran of the PC/Console gaming world, I give this game a resounding THUMBS UP. Just a great game. It is state of the art use of modern hardware but somehow fills me with nostalgia for the old CGA (thats 4 color) Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

I was very worried buying it, and saved my receipt for the "imminent" backing out/return. This game is worth every penny and then some. I generally don't replay RPG's but I can see myself giving this 80 hour game a second time thru.

In short: Buy It!
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:20 PM   #7
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Why don't you download the demo. If you love the demo, you will absolutely love the game.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:45 PM   #8
Moni

We bought Wizardry 8 and PoR both on the same day...before the day was over, we had our money back for PoR.
*chuckle*
Invest in Wiz 8, you won't regret it
Old 12-14-2001, 04:07 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Get it LoA - you won't regret it - what's that - oh, must rush off to travel the Arnika Road - be vewy quiet - were hunting you now .
Old 12-14-2001, 04:22 AM   #10
Merkin
Manshoon

This game goes into a very select group for me. The games that will still be on my hard drive two years from purchase.

Fallout
Civilisation ll
Baldurs Gate
Stargate

and now Wiz 8.

It's quite simply the most addictive fun I've had with a game in ages. For every flaw (and yes, it has some) you will find three or four things that just make you think "that is SO sweet!"

Just like every fps still gets compared to Half-Life, every turn-based strat to Civ ll, every rts to C&C, every top-down rpg to Baldurs Gate...every first-person rpg for years will be compared to Wiz 8. It's that good. Don't miss it.