Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2003, 07:46 AM   #1
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

In a previous post of mine, I was told that I would get the chance to return and finish Battle Squares. When will that happen? Is it a dialogue choice or will I simply have to backtrack? I ask because I just descended into the hole to the duergar caves and I don't want to go too far that I can't return.

And now the question that really let me down: what is up with the dragons in this game? I'm trodding along, well rested and with fire spells as I always do before leaving an area, and surprise! My heart beats fast, my courage mustered...and then it's over. I didn't even have to rest to regain spells and actually moved on and killed the next one. Two dragons on one night's rest? What's up with that? What happened to "The Dragon", the one that made every gamers heart flutter and became an epic battle sung by bards for generations? I had more problems with the gang of hook horrors on the next level than I did with two whites. The only thing I must say is it was a nice touch to have dragons with enough intelligence to go after the character that was doing it the most damage (the mage of course) but in the end it was a letdown. Gone are the days?!?
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

For the first question. There is no dialogue you have to backtrack and AFAIK you can do it anytime before you revisit Kuldahar. After that you cant go back... There were some different opinions about that and I think some people said you have to do it before you leave Fell Wood...

For the second question... Yes those dragons are way too easy but White Dragons are amongst the easiest of all of their kind... you will find a much tougher dragon later on..
Old 12-24-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Or may not. Beware!!
spoil sort of....

It is related to yuan ti buisness in kuldahar.
Search and ye shall find!

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

As for the dragons: From Iron Works own description of the White(Frost) Dragon. They are suppose to be weak in comparision to other dragons.

White Dragons, the smallest and weakest of the evil dragons, are slow witted but efficient hunters. They are impulsive, vicious, and animalistic, tending to consider only the needs and emotions of the moment and having no foresight or regret. Despite their low intelligence, they are as greedy and evil as the other evil dragons.

[ 12-24-2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 12:12 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

You can return to Battle Squares - a long walk - any time before you take passage to Kuldahar. So yes, you could go back there right now if you wanted to.

As for the dragons, consider yourself lucky. Many other players had trouble with them.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 07:41 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Question 1: You get to complete battlesquares when you get pulled back to the temple. Remember the wizard to whom you owe a favor?
Question 2: Draco Rigidus Frigidus is a small little pest. The dragons of that kind are a... pest at best. Just wait 'till you get to Kuldahar and...
Old 12-25-2003, 02:03 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Question 1: You get to complete battlesquares when you get pulled back to the temple. Remember the wizard to whom you owe a favor?
No you dont.... not in my case at least.... maybe because of I have the patch?
Old 12-25-2003, 10:20 AM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The patch has nothing to do with it. By the time Nikky calls in his favor, the temple is no longer operational. You must do the squares before that or lose the chance.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 01:35 PM   #9
motub
The Magister

In case this isn't clear-- you don't "get the chance" to complete Battle Squares, if you left/finished the Temple without doing so. But you can "take" the chance, if you want it.

Battle Squares is completely optional, except for the three battles of rank 1, level 1, which you must do to complete the Temple.

So if you left the Temple without completing it, it does not matter-- unless you want to complete it. In that case, you may walk back to the Temple (you cannot go there via the World Map, but you can retrace your steps from the Wandering Village or wherever to the map exit where you entered Chapter 3), and re-enter the Temple, go to the Battle Squares room and complete BS.

However, once you get onto Oswald's ship at the end of Chapter 4, you can no longer walk back to the Temple, thus cannot complete BS. As Nightowl2 says, the next time you see the Temple, BS is no longer functional (and you have other things on your mind anyway).
motub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 04:35 PM   #10
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Yep. Forgot. Sorry. Anyways, I strongly advise you to complete Battle Sqaures. For a prize, you'll get, among other things, a short sword which is the best weapon in the game, 'cept the Light of Cera Sumat.