Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 02:49 AM   #1
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

After installing the following components i have reached the conclusion that they cause the mod to be disbalanced.

components: Damage reduction. It turns the undead targos mod, into a walk in the park. Scellies can't hurt you if you wear splint mail and use a shield. The same goes to orcs, goblins, Torak, verbeegs, and every creature up to guthma's fortress. I have not checked the other stages of the game as yet. I had to turn the difficulty to insane, in order to keep the game interesting enough.

Randomizing items. A very problematic thing. Before the battle at Shengarne Bridge, i had several overpowered and cheesy items. Great axe +5 that deals out extra 2d6 slashing damage, i got it in randomized loot due to a ring that creates kegs with goodies or killer mimics. I got on spectral Vogtang axe of disruption +5. needless to say that the palisade battle was over in a few minutes. I got 2 maces of disruption that deal out fire damage, 1 mace +3, unique full plate mail and other disbalancing stuff. I did not find, however, 1 potion of extra healing. I also did not find important things, like potion of invisibility in the apothecary ruins, or any potion of restoration at oswald's store. It caused me to load several times after the battle with brohn's shade. I found 2 potions of greater restoration on cabbalus and his friend, and used 1. Maybe it was luck, maybe it was not.

Stuff of HoF in the stores. I do not know how to treat that. It blocks out all the nice items in the beginning (like wandering sky), and leaves you with stuff that you will not be able to afford.

In conclusion: these components make the game too easy.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Word! Things not to install: Damage reduction(or turn the difficulty to Insane); Random Items; HoF stuff as they prevent you from getting anything in the start and they become overpowered later on, and they make HoF less of a 'want to play'; BG2 items, that one is tricky, because the second you will be able to afford one of them, that character is from then on invincible; Improved Cera Sumat, just take Greatsword instead, do not take both because of balancing issues with two paladins; and the 'Better Bastard Swords' is just overpowered (before going into the forest you get Wroth, a +1 sword with positive benefits of animal rage, and in the temple you get the Bastard's Son with Executioner Eyes).
The rest should be installed, aspecially the druid and monk packs.