Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 05:03 PM   #11
admann
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If I reinstall the game will it erase my save game??? Dose anyone have any suggestions of what I can do to fix this??? is this a common bug or is it more serious???And for the record thank you all for the help, I am finding this to be a very good community to be a part of.
admann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:07 PM   #12
Olerus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Reinstall would probably be a good idea.

I dont think the save games will be deleted, however you can just copy them to another location before uninnstalling.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:28 PM   #13
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by admann:
...And for the record thank you all for the help, I am finding this to be a very good community to be a part of.
Aw, you'll make us blush. The only flaming here is on peoples' cheeks [img]smile.gif[/img]

A reinstall would be a good idea. I don't think your saved games will disappear, but back them up anyway. You may also want to backup your cache folder and clean that out, too.

Do you have the latest patches? I dimly remember hearing about a similar assertion error, and I think the patches will clean that up.

Without Heart of Winter - use Icewind Dale Patch v.1.06
With Heart of Winter - use Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter Patch v.1.42 (which is contained in the free expansion download called Trials of the Luremaster).

I believe both patches can be found on Fileplanet and on download.com. Download.com has the UK version of Trials of the Luremaster, but it should not affect the game in a negative way even if you've got the American version of IWD.

Just post again if you need more help!
Old 06-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #14
Aerich
Lord Ao

Oh, a further note on patches (if you need it...)

If you do not have Heart of Winter (HoW), the most advanced patch is v.1.06. Use that one and no other.

If you have HoW, the most advanced patch is v.1.42. It incorporates all the previous patches, so don't bother trying to get any others.

IMPORTANT - only install one or the other. Installing v.1.06 over HoW leads to nasty problems.

If you do not have HoW right now but are meaning to get it, still use the 1.06 patch. The 1.06 patch is part of the HoW expansion, so it will not hurt to install HoW over the 1.06 patch. The reverse, however, does hurt.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:53 PM   #15
Aerich
Lord Ao

@ admann;

I just spotted a really old thread that had the same assertion error as you had. It apparently was not solved by a patch (but that was before patch 1.42) but was solved by reinstalling the game.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:03 PM   #16
admann
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well sorry I have not got back till now but was called into work and have put in 32 hrs in the last 2 days so I have not had time. after last I did reinstall, got the patch, everything but still same problem,,, dont know what to do! thanks for all the help though, any ideas? I will try anything.
admann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #17
Aerich
Lord Ao

Wow, it still isn't cooperating!? Reinstalls are kind of the last-resort, solve-everything solution. I'm not really sure what else you can do, but I'll take a shot at it.

1) Try cleaning your CD.
2) Try another reinstall with that CD.
3) Try borrowing a buddy's copy.

Kind of grasping at straws here; pardon me for asking obvious questions. Have you unzipped and installed (not merely downloaded) the patch?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:37 PM   #18
Aerich
Lord Ao

I thought of another possibility. Your saved game could be the problem, if you're using a save from the small area. Try using a previous saved game (e.g. from slightly earlier in Wyrms Tooth, or your autosave on leaving the glacier).

Let us know if you get it working.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:51 AM   #19
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hey admann, did you manage to solve the problem? If you haven't, here's a possible idea. It probably won't work if you're all patched up already.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31989