Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Default Dualclassing a Fighter into a Mage: level 9 or 13?

Berserkers and Kensai are very popular classes to dual into Mages. I just don't know when to dual class this character. My choices are between levels 9 and 13. There are pros and cons for each.

If I dual at level 9 I'll have:
3 Rages/Kais per day (I think this is enough)
I'll become a "complete character" (Berserker abilities back after dualclassing) at 500,000 XP

If I dual at level 13, I'll have:
4 Rages/Kais per day
1/2 extra Attack per Round
I'll become a "complete character" at 2,750,000 XP

I know dual classing at level 13 will end up with a more powerful character in the end, but is it worth the 1,250,000 XP?

Let me know what your experiences tell you.

TIA

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: Dualclassing a Fighter into a Mage: level 9 or 13?

question: how many people in your party?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Mahokenshi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Letter Re: Dualclassing a Fighter into a Mage: level 9 or 13?

You know, I had a similar question on here a while ago.

Well, I've been playing through again lately, and I decided to try a Breserker - Mage myself.

I used easyTutu and soloed through BG1. When I imported my character to BG2, he had nearly 1.4 million xp. The game had apparently kept track of all the xp I had collected even after hitting the level cap. I was able to dual class to a mage right away, and was already level 8 by the time I got out of the dungeon.

I am still in chapter three, and I just got back my breserker ablities. I still have Nalia's keep, Umar Hills, and the Planar Sphere to go. And all of Watcher's Keep is still untouched. This is with a party of four.

I find that dualing at level 13 in a full party just takes too long. And remember - a fighter's base THAC0 at level 13 is 8 (4 for a kensai). It will never improve after that. This is the same number a thief will cap at. Dualing at level 9 will still earn you a spellcaster who can slug it out well enough for the first half of SoA; and then later on when you need magic the most; you'll have a killer mage with tons of hp. Dualing at level 13, well especially for a non-kensai your THAC0 will lag quite a bit.
Even patched, grandmastery only offers +2 to strike above specialization. I'm expecting that my current character will find his fighting abilities lagging a bit by the endgame anyway. If you want combat power augmented by spells, then a multiclassed character will net you a more fearsome end game warrior; (at the expense of mage power.)

Getting to level 13/14 as a dual class fighter mage is not really worth the effort if you want to play the majority of the game as with the character concept you want.
Mahokenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Default Re: Dualclassing a Fighter into a Mage: level 9 or 13?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahokenshi View Post
And remember - a fighter's base THAC0 at level 13 is 8 (4 for a kensai). It will never improve after that.
Incorrect. Warriors' THACO improves at the rate of 1 point per level, all the way to Level 21.
[ADD]Unless, of course, you're talking about a Fighter->X Dual at Level 13, but then that's true of just about any Warrior->X Dual.[/ADD]

Last edited by SixOfSpades; 01-02-2008 at 03:01 PM.
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote