Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 06:59 PM   #21
IAmThumper
Dungeon Master

Regardless of whether this is a naturally occuring cycle (#2) I don't think we can afford to not do anything about it (#1). I mean if it is option 1 and we don't we're basically making are own oven! I think fossil fuels can be used to better purpose then powering cars etc. There are other methods we could use instead. I think people just want to be lazy! "It's tooooo much trouble to doooo anything about it. blah blah blah! Let's just ignore it and hope it goes away. blah blah blah"
LOL Sarcasm is soo much fun! LOL
Old 08-28-2003, 08:29 PM   #22
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Wasn't there a thread on IW a while back that said that poor people in the Asia area were burning cow-dung and that was why that area was the worst in the world for the pollution of the air? (Like burning coal) Also...I read another post here about the sheep in NZ with too much farting was messing the world up.

That just goes to show that whoever is conducting the experiment has a bias to prove that everybody except himself is responsible.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:40 PM   #23
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
That's right dammit... it's all because of the farting sheep in NZ.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:02 PM   #24
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
That's right dammit... it's all because of the farting sheep in NZ.
Yeah!
Down with Sheep!
Down with Sheep!
Old 08-29-2003, 05:45 AM   #25
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I believe it's actually Avatars fault. [img]smile.gif[/img]

See, he is running his PC with a diesel engine these days, and this creates a large dark cloudy to hang over Cambridge! The towns people are mad these days, when Avatar plays at LAN parties...

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Current Events? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Me??? *innocent look*
Actually my LAPTOP runs on a homemade hamster driven turbine. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The point with case 2, which is the one I firmly believe in is:

1) Yes we do contribute at LEAST locally to small temperature rises over the past 50 years.

2) But it might not necessarily be the cause of global warm up and polar ice cap melts.

3) Sun Spots and volcanic erruptions have the final say, not us.

4) Petrol fuels run out in 50 years anyway. Use them slower, they last longer.

5) We should devote more resources on other enviromental issues.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:56 AM   #26
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Oh yeah! We're sucking this planet of every resource we can exploit. Earth will die, and look much like Mars does today if we don't stop what where doing today--or atleast real soon. We need to convert cars over to Hydrogen fuel cells by 2020.That ALONE will be a big impact.

Hell, Ice caps are melting where they NEVER DID in recorded history.

Very spooky.

What also PISSES me off is all this junk mail and CRAP we get in the mail (not email-REAL mail). and all we do (and 99% of every other person on the planet) just throws the paper ads away, and there goes 10000 trees A DAY... little things like that--trivial CRAP and a waste of resources so blatantly is IMO, disgusting.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 08-29-2003, 10:06 AM   #27
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Wasn't there a thread on IW a while back that said that poor people in the Asia area were burning cow-dung and that was why that area was the worst in the world for the pollution of the air? (Like burning coal) Also...I read another post here about the sheep in NZ with too much farting was messing the world up.

That just goes to show that whoever is conducting the experiment has a bias to prove that everybody except himself is responsible.
I'm convinced these ideas were jointly put forth by a Chevron-Exxon/Mobile-BP/Amoco sock puppet. Yes, farts contain methane. Yes, methane is one of the 6 GHGs under Kyoto. One nice chemical plant in St. Louis will make up for all the flatulating sheep in NZ, I assure you.

China's air is getting dirtier because their industrial sector is rapidly expanding and because their coal burning technology at power plants is on par with what we had in the US in the late 60's and early 70's -- back when you couldn't see the mountains in the distance when you were standing in LA. That has changed now, here, and presumably China's technology will get better over time. Especially since Kyoto or any other GHG treaty will have "technology transfers" provisions where the US can get "clean air credits" for giving cleaner coal or other eco-friendly(er) technology to developing nations.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:15 AM   #28
WillowIX
Apophis

Even though the fossile fuel plants are developing they´re not the most environmental things in the world.

But if everyone would use their bike every now and then instead of taking the car two blocks we would cut a little from the worst source.

I still amazes me that the resources for developing clean power is still so small. I mean we have the ultimate power source just 90 million miles away and still provides the earth with enormous power. Sure re-usable uranium is all well and good but we will run out of uranium eventaully. So put a couple of billions to develop some real solar power. [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW, aren't some US cities looking to move all traffic underground? Is that project still running?
Old 09-02-2003, 07:16 AM   #29
Vampire

Fossil Fuels: Power, Cheap, Easy, the 3 pre-requistes before we realised pollution was a problem.

Solar Power: won't work everywhere, low power, large area, doesn't look so good-design constraints, silicon is now in shortage due to too many computers

Fuel Cells: un-established technology, heavy, low power, uses electricity which comes from: coal mainly
The chemical cells are even worse
Old 09-02-2003, 08:10 AM   #30
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
We need to convert cars over to Hydrogen fuel cells by 2020.That ALONE will be a big impact.
Why do you think this is true? All your going to do is convert a lot of small carbon-dioxide producers (cars) into a few carbon-monoxide producers (steam reformation plants to produce all that hydrogen).