Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 02:23 PM   #11
Arvon
Unicorn

I personally believe Case 1 is horse hockey.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 08-28-2003, 02:23 PM   #12
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Number 1 will be debated to death, until the polar ice caps melt completely atleast. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

There is acutally a proven way that humans have impacted local temputures in many areas and that is cities. More specificlly concrete, asphault, etc... There was a study just releases last year that showed temputures in cities are higher, longer then in the surounding country side. The reason is all that concrete in cities act as batteries, storing heat in the day and releasing it at night. IIRC the temp difference was as high as 10 degrees. This heat genereation also effect local weather patterns too.

note: Tried to goggle the article with no luck. too many hits

Wonder how that compares to heat storage in Granite formations such as moutain ranges and big rocks like Gibraltar?

I know the "Heat Island" effect of cities has been known for some time. Meteorologists notice it all the time. Basicly they actually help to divert some of the worst storms around the heart of major cities and into the outer suburbs.

Old 08-28-2003, 02:25 PM   #13
Arvon
Unicorn

I believe that case 1 is Horse Hockey.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 08-28-2003, 02:27 PM   #14
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
2. Loathing of modern hyperproduction-oriented industrialized consumerized life. If given the chance to send us back to the stone age, I'd do it.

You would like to live without sanitation, running water, toilet paper, deoderant, medicine, enhanced and longer life spans...you would voluntarily revert to having just a 40 year life span with no teeth?

Why are you living in the middle of one of the worlds largest cities? [img]smile.gif[/img] I know some places in Middle America and in the Pacific North West where you could live the lifestyle you just said you wanted [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Had to remove a danglin participle.

[ 08-28-2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 08-28-2003, 03:14 PM   #15
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

You would like to live without sanitation, running water, toilet paper, deoderant, medicine, enhanced and longer life spans...you would voluntarily revert to having just a 40 year life span with no teeth?

Why are you living in the middle of one of the worlds largest cities? [img]smile.gif[/img] I know some places in Middle America and in the Pacific North West where you could live the lifestyle you just said you wanted [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Had to remove a danglin participle.
1. Sure, I'd be happy to live that way. We'd modify it, of course. I'm not saying take away all we've learned, just the factories and the corporations.
We wanted to blast the world free of history.... picture yourself planting radishes and seed potatoes on the fifteenth green of a forgotten golf course. You'll hunt elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center, and dig clams next to the skeleton of the Space Needle leaning at a forty-five degree angle. We'll paint the skyscrapers with huge totem faces and goblin tikis, and every evening what's left of mankind will retreat to empty zoos and lock itself in cages as protection against the bears and big cats and wolves that pace and watch us from outside the cage bars at night.
"Imagine," Tyler said, "stalking elk past department store windows and stinking racks of beautiful rotting dresses and tuxedos on hangers; you'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life, and you'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. Jack and the beanstalk, you'll climb up through the dripping forest canopy and the air will be so clean you'll see tiny figures pounding corn and laying strips of venison to dry in the empty car pool lane of an abandoned superhighway stretching eight-lanes-wide and August-hot for a thousand miles."

2. It's where the job is. While I'm bitching about the game I'm forced to play, I'm certainly not going to simply quit and take my ball home. I may not like the game of life as it is these days, but it is my nature to play to win. Yes, as you say, there are other places I can live/work. I intend to debauch in the big city for a few decades, maybe raise some rugrats, and then go to those places with enough cash or leverage in my pocket to have the property I want. Then, I'll pick some nice nearly-pristine place and grow pot between rows of corn and tomatoes while I grow old, and shoot any trespassers.

Hey, we all have dreams.

[ 08-28-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 08-28-2003, 03:58 PM   #16
MagiK

I know TL and I was just givin ya a hard time. Personally I prefer an industrialized civilization that can make things like glasses for people with bad eyes...and artificial limbs for those who loose them...and I CANNOT stress enough how apreciative I am of personal hygene products like soap, toilet paper and deoderant [img]smile.gif[/img] I like rural living better than urban living..but found Suburbia to be a nice blend....close enough to each and in neither.

Edit: The Ladies have a whole slew of "other" personal hygene products that I am quite sure they would not want to give up for the "old way" of doing things [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-28-2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 08-28-2003, 04:11 PM   #17
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I believe it's actually Avatars fault. [img]smile.gif[/img]

See, he is running his PC with a diesel engine these days, and this creates a large dark cloudy to hang over Cambridge! The towns people are mad these days, when Avatar plays at LAN parties...

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Current Events? [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 08-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #18
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
[QB] We wanted to blast the world free of history.... picture yourself planting radishes and seed potatoes on the fifteenth green of a forgotten golf course. You'll hunt elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center, and dig clams next to the skeleton of the Space Needle leaning at a forty-five degree angle. We'll paint the skyscrapers with huge totem faces and goblin tikis, and every evening what's left of mankind will retreat to empty zoos and lock itself in cages as protection against the bears and big cats and wolves that pace and watch us from outside the cage bars at night.
"Imagine," Tyler said, "stalking elk past department store windows and stinking racks of beautiful rotting dresses and tuxedos on hangers; you'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life, and you'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. Jack and the beanstalk, you'll climb up through the dripping forest canopy and the air will be so clean you'll see tiny figures pounding corn and laying strips of venison to dry in the empty car pool lane of an abandoned superhighway stretching eight-lanes-wide and August-hot for a thousand miles."
Me thinks TL is having a "Plant of the Apes" moment here. You remember in the movie where Charlton Heston finds the Statue of Liberty blown-up and sticking up out of the ocean.

TL have you discussed this passion for living out in the wilds of Wyoming, Idaho or Tinbucktoo with your lovely mate yet? It's been my experience that women don't necessarily handle such a change in life style very well, especially if the neariest Target, Walmart or mall is two or three hours away.
Now me on the other hand would love it! Might by the place next to you... Except I'd rather be up somewhere arounf Big South Fork in Fentress County.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:32 PM   #19
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Itw as not as much the point against technology and stuff we got off it. It was the point that it is all about money, not about people, that SUCKS. In New York, you have to maintain TWO jobs at a normal job rate to keep up your ensurances(without them you are toast) and pay for your daily needs. If you miss out on one monthly paycheck you are on the street. There is just no safety for risks, that's insane man. Bad things can happen not always and mostly not at the fault of the one it happens to. Basically, we need to get rid of all those filthy rich people who have so much money they coul relieve the whole third world from their debts and they sit around looking at people suffer, I do not know how many RPG's you have played, but that is EVIL.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:41 PM   #20
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
global warming is all part of the cycles of our planet, like iceages (which we're overdue for). but yes, mankind is helping it along greatly, like adding wood to a fire.
Yep, that's exactly what my opinion is. BTW, this should be in CE...