Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2001, 09:22 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well, this is mainly a Christian question (even though anyone can reply to it, as long as you don't insult the fact that I am a Christian, or demand "proof" of my religion, etc.), so if you are not a Christian, PLEASE do not degrade my thread or my beliefs, do that somewhere else, restrain yourself if you can OK?
K..Now then,

I find myself thinking about where we are right now in this world, and how our generation is, how we were brought up. Myself, I was born in 1966, so mostly remember growing up in the 70's and 80's. Things were pretty peaceful in my life back then. We just lived, and danced, and songs were a lot about fun and happiness, etc. We all got into "peace" in the 70's and caring for one another. Then things seemed to have changed a bit, and we all grew up, and our previous way of life was laughed at as silly. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, depends I suppose. Anyway, here we all are now in the present. "Adults" now, LOL (I say "LOL" cause I still can't consider myself an adult, I got stuck somewhere in my 20's). We have all grown up and read all sorts of doomsday scenarios that may befall us in the future, again, including in the bible. Now it seems that things have moved up a notch, with these terrorist attacks of such a huge proportion. Makes one wonder what is next, and are WE the ones who are to live through the "final times." Of course, there have been many instances over hundreds of years wherein people thought "it was time" and were wrong. Could be the same thing as now. But still the thought runs through your mind nevertheless, as you start to recognize the fact that now we as humans are more advanced than ever before, and capable of all sorts of destruction, just sitting there waiting for a reason. So the question remains, is it time? I feel a domino effect has begun, and our generation may be the ones to live or die through it. I always wished that I would be long gone when true shit hit the fan, but dunno now. I am not paranoid, please do not misconstrue me, I am just tumbling thoughts around in my head. And I have always over the years hoped that I could live a life and die without seeing war in an "advanced" way, meaning bio or nuclear weapons, which I always felt was inevitable and only a matter of time the way things have been progressing in the world. Now dammit I'm almost 36 and here I am, here WE are, living it, wondering what will happen next..

Basically, after so much above spam LOL, what I'm getting at is this, I feel that everyone was born not only as a certain person, but at a certain time as well. I feel that we all are supposed to go through this, for a reason. I also feel that God thinks that we can achieve whatever unknown goals are set upon us, I feel that even though we may not think or know it, we really are ready for anything, and will stand tall, and make God proud of us. We are meant to see this, we are meant to feel this, we are meant to learn from it,we are meant to overcome it, we will succeed I know it. Dunno about anyone else, but lately I have felt God much stronger than before, my faith has grown immensely recently.

------------------
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 09:42 PM   #2
Silverquick
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah I grew up in the 70s too. I only remember it being a fairly peaceful time here in the United States though.

In the 70s was when Arafat was still running around with the PLO and all kinds of flights were being hijacked. I also remember the Iranian storming of the US embassy and many other things. However, I cant for the life of me remember much about the USSR at that time. They were kinda quiet from what I remember. I remember Ford and Carter.

It wasnt until the 80s that I remember a lot of things from the USSR. I remember the 80s as being fairly peaceful here in the United States too. For once there were no constant stories about Americans hijacked or kidnapped overseas. Course then again Reagan didnt put up with it much which really did put the kabosh on it.

It wasnt until the middle to late 90s again that I watched things heat up.

Now it looks like the peace is gone for now and theres really not much that can be done.

As for my faith in god? Well I am not Christian, Jewish, or Muslim so I dont look at things the way you do.

Silverquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 10:06 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverquick:

Yeah I grew up in the 70s too. I only remember it being a fairly peaceful time here in the United States though.

In the 70s was when Arafat was still running around with the PLO and all kinds of flights were being hijacked. I also remember the Iranian storming of the US embassy and many other things. However, I cant for the life of me remember much about the USSR at that time. They were kinda quiet from what I remember. I remember Ford and Carter.

It wasnt until the 80s that I remember a lot of things from the USSR. I remember the 80s as being fairly peaceful here in the United States too. For once there were no constant stories about Americans hijacked or kidnapped overseas. Course then again Reagan didnt put up with it much which really did put the kabosh on it.

It wasnt until the middle to late 90s again that I watched things heat up.

Now it looks like the peace is gone for now and theres really not much that can be done.

As for my faith in god? Well I am not Christian, Jewish, or Muslim so I dont look at things the way you do.

Well all I know, is that as a kid, growing up in the 70's, I was oblivious to any conflicts that may have been going on, and lived a peaceful life, well, at least in THAT respect. Most of my enemies and attackers were fellow peers (but not gonna drive down that road again LOL). Hey, no problemo if you are not a Christian, or Jewish, or Muslim, your post was just fine, and exactly the type of post that I am looking for! You expressed how YOU felt, and YOUR beliefs, and did not knock down others beliefs in the process. Thanks for posting Silverquick.! And I agree, since the 70's, things changed little by little over each decade, until we now find ourselves where we are now. Can I go back? I wanna turn back time and just live the rest of my life in the 70's smiling and dancing and and slopping on the flavored lip gloss!

------------------
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 11:15 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear LadyZekke,

As a child of 1963 (I was born 2 months before Kennedy was assassinated), I remember much the same era that you do. It did seem simpler back then, I don't know if it was just because of remembering the halcyon days of childhood that everyone tends to romanticize or whether it is something else, but the fact remains, things have changed.

Well, we have changed. We've gotten older, for sure. But I can't help but feel that the world has changed, and the children of this new era are missing out on something that we had...a level of the peace we experienced, and instead are experiencing a new sense of urgency and stress in their everyday lives.

I don't think this is the "end times" per se. This old world has been around for a long, long time and will continue to do so, with or without us. There has been a lot of prophecy, from the Revelation of St. John to Nostradamus to the Hopi Land Map to the Mayan Calendar to Edgar Cayce. Some of it has been doomsday, others have not been. A point I would like to make is, what is the point of prophecy if it doesn't give one the chance to alter that which is foretold (assuming that true prophecy exists)? It's an argument that Dickens brings up in a Christmas Carol, when Ebenezer Scrooge beseeches the Ghost of Christmas Future to sponge the "terrible lettering from the stone"; in short, is battling for his very soul. He is given the chance to change the future, and he does...Tiny Tim still lives, and he finds love and joy within his life. OK, so I know it's "just a story", but it's more than that as well...it's a paradigm for how true prophecy should be. Just like in forecasting, when someone predicts a storm approaching, one should be able to use that information to one's advantage to be able to survive the storm. Otherwise, why tell it, unless to mock people with a fate written in stone?

I think there's a lot of people on this world with an "end times" programming in them...truth to tell, they WANT "Armageddon" or "Ragnarok" or whatever the Final Battle is. No matter what happens, they're going to get it. However, no where is there any indication that everyone on this earth must go through that.

I think certain people want the end of their world, and they will receive it through their own actions. I also fully believe the ones who strive forward calmly and peacefully, the "meek" so to speak, will inherit the earth, and it will be a far better place once we receive it.

Just my take on things.

Cheers,

------------------
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 11:45 PM   #5
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

I guess it is where you come from. I was born in '61 raised in the 60's & 70's. I don't remember it as tranquil, due to the fact my Dad was in the USAF and almost every where that I lived was targeted by the USSR for nuclear distruction. In addition to that my Dad was stationed at Central Washington State College '68-'71 as the head of the ROTC program. So I had to put up with Peace/Love/Brotherhood Types wanting to kill my Dad and family because of a war in Southeast Asia. I learned from a young age that are people out there that don't like me/us/what-ever you wish to fill in the space. That is the way it is in life you can't please everyone if you try you'll lose your rear-end. Do your best and go on, Miss Lady Zeeke Ma'am, I don't know if it is the "end times" or not. I don't want to sound flip or disrespectful to you but why worry about it?
The end will happen but, until then we all have lives to live.
'Sides I don't thunk I'll be lucky enough to see the end from this side of the grass

------------------
Crustiest of the OLD COOTS
Airline ticket to Afghanistan $800
High powered rifle with scope $1000
Hotel room with roof access $100
A clean Head shot on that sack of Horse Manure Usuma Bin Laden PRICELESS!
John D Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 12:30 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:

The end will happen but, until then we all have lives to live.
'Sides I don't thunk I'll be lucky enough to see the end from this side of the grass

Thanks, John D....that's exactly what I meant as well.

Cheers,

------------------
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 07:31 AM   #7
Garnet

I was born in '63 and remember childhood in general as pretty placid--the only major concerns were homework and stuff. The rest of the world was 'there'--somewhere. We watched the news and such, but it was so different from what my kids watch now (or is it just my perceptions?)

Like Silverquick, I am not Christian, Jewish or Muslim, tho I grew up Southern Baptist. I heard ad nauseum the 'end of the world' warnings and what I needed to do to ensure my place in the Chosen. Even as a child, I discounted the doomsday scenario because I firmly believed (and even more so now) that old saying--God only gives us what we can handle-- and everything *does* happen for a reason.

Whether it's a 'test' from God or simply a quirk of this crazy existance we call life which has gotten totally out of control, I couldn't say. But I agree that for some presently unknown reason, we're supposed to be in these times. Though, I must say, I'd just as soon not! How we handle the present escalating violence in our corners of the world *will* affect the world our children take charge of after us.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could hand them a more peaceful world--and our daughters could think of nothing more pressing than the next dance and what flavor lip gloss to try next?

Garnet
Old 10-19-2001, 07:32 AM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Well all I know, is that as a kid, growing up in the 70's, I was oblivious to any conflicts that may have been going on, and lived a peaceful life, well, at least in THAT respect. Most of my enemies and attackers were fellow peers (but not gonna drive down that road again LOL). Hey, no problemo if you are not a Christian, or Jewish, or Muslim, your post was just fine, and exactly the type of post that I am looking for! You expressed how YOU felt, and YOUR beliefs, and did not knock down others beliefs in the process. Thanks for posting Silverquick.! And I agree, since the 70's, things changed little by little over each decade, until we now find ourselves where we are now. Can I go back? I wanna turn back time and just live the rest of my life in the 70's smiling and dancing and and slopping on the flavored lip gloss!

I was also born in '66 and share many of your memories and thoughts of the time. Nothing could hurt us, bad things happened to other people, and life was good. But you what? We were kids, doing what kids do, which is primarily thinking of themselves and letting others deal with the responsibilities.

Our parents worried about the things going on then, as much as we are now worrying about this crisis. Imagine the stress our parents felt as the US was losing the Vietnam War. Who could possibly beat US? Then when gas prices tripled? Conflict in the Middle East? I was listening to the Commodores, while Mom and Dad were listening to the evening news. The 70's seem so good to us because all we had to worry about was being kids.

Fortunately, we live in country where our parents could let us be kids, unlike so many other places in the world. Another reason to say, ...

"God Bless America"

------------------

"The Martyr" (excerpt)

There is sobbing of the strong,
And a pall upon the land;
But the People in their weeping
Bare the iron hand:
Beware the People weeping
When they bare the iron hand.

--Herman Melville (written after the assasination of President Abraham Lincoln)

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-19-2001).]
Ronn_Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 09:24 AM   #9
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, although I share the memories (born in 1969), I can't say I shared the completely 'carefree' life. I remember spending my evenings watching the news WITH my parents. I was often worried if we were going to end up in a war with the Soviets. I remember things being tense - both politically and at home. I had my times of carefree fun with my friends, but to a large degree, I lived in fear then. I was raised without church as my father didn't believe in 'organized religion' due to a fallout with the Catholic church. My mother instilled what she could in me of the 'Southern Baptist' beliefs, but it was little comfort to me. I became a Christian finally in 1987 thanks to a VERY persistent friend (God bless her) and only THEN did I quit worrying over everything. I finally realized that, whatever will happen will happen. Even with what happened on 9-11, I'm not worried about things. I was VERY upset and I AM concerned, but I'm NOT fearful or worrying myself sick. LadyZ, I am glad to see that your faith has strengthened as I'm sure others' have. I, too, feel a renewed sense of purpose lately. A resolve to stand proud and help where I can. Encourage others and provide support.
DragonMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 09:31 AM   #10
skywalker
Banned User

I will never forget the Doomsday Clock coming closer to Midnight (nuclear war).

"1984: Three minutes to midnight
The arms race accelerates. "The blunt simplicities of force threaten to displace any other form of discourse between the superpowers."

Look at this site:

http://www.bullatomsci.org/clock/doomsdayclock.html

for the history of The Clock!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote