Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 01:01 AM   #1
Mourdret
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I’m having some game trouble (non-stupidity induced, this time&#8230 with the Mythal book and Orrick the Gray. When I give him the item, he thanks me and the dialogue abruptly ends. Some white text appears at the bottom of the screen repeating his thank-you message, and adding in red ‘No Reply Available’, or something to that effect. The thing is, in the text Orrick says something like, ‘Here, take this artifact’… but after speaking to him and checking my inventory, nothing new appears. I have tried emptying each character completely and repeating the dialogue, but still no item. I do, however, get the experience points. So has anyone else run into this problem? Know a way to fix it?

Being a wizard and all, I expect the artifact must have been something pretty cool… I feel so shafted. Woe. Woe.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:36 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

First of all, the item that Orrick gives you is random ... i believe that there are three possible items that you could get.

Secondly, I haven't heard of that problem occuring before. It sounds like you might have a corrupted file somewhere. I would suggest making a back-up of your saved games and then un-installing and reinstalling IWD and the aprropriate patches.

I believe that the dialogue strings are contained in .dlg files so it might be that Orricks dialogue string got corrupted and it could be correctable by copying clean versions of these files into your game folders. But that is ONLY a guess.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:15 PM   #3
Talthyr Malkaviel

That happens to me, it says 'NO VALID LINKS OR REPLIES'
and I think it has something to do with the English version I have, because there's another bug (in Dorn's deep) in the English version.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:18 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer

I don't think its the version because the first poster was listed as being from the US so I assume that he is running the US version and not the UK version. I'm running the US version and I have never seen that problem, either in the original IWD, the patched IWD, IWD with HOW installed.

Do you TotLM installed as well? There might be something in the TotLM installation that caused the problem.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 12-06-2001, 03:50 PM   #5
Mourdret
Elite Waterdeep Guard

“so I assume that [S]he is running the US version and not the UK version…”

The rumors are true, I’m American, and as such am running whatever version happens to be sold in America. Even so, though, if there is a chance that the problem will occur again in Dorn's Deep, I guess I ought to try reinstalling. I do not have any other games installed on my computer right now, so I imagine the problem is not some kind of strange conflict of installations.

Thank you for your help, everyone.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:16 PM   #6
Micah Foehammer

Sorry about the erroneous gender assumption. TolM is short for the freebie downloadable expansion for HOW and HOW is the expansion for IWD. I wasn't intimating that another completely separate game was causing the problem, but rather that one of the various expansions might have had a bad installation (or even worse- the original installation of IWD) and that is how the dialogue got corrupted.

Old 12-06-2001, 08:58 PM   #7
SecretMaster
Apophis

Same thing happened here, I was like "NO item, cheap @$$hole" could someone tell me the item?
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 03:27 AM   #8
Brett
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ive had the same problem too, hed give me something and i had the error message. SPOILER!!!!......> Kill him, and his little goblin too!! it seems like the goblin has been taking some of old man oricks stuff, oh and the old man has a whole ton of very very very nice stuff to be taken, however, i would only do it if you haveall the items that you needed to buy from him, it will decrease your rep by a point but ive noticed that no one in the town cares anyway, no hassle only the bloody mess of old man orricks frail bosy to clean up [img]smile.gif[/img]
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 09:03 AM   #9
Micah Foehammer

The best item (IMHO) is Mithran's cloak. You can also get the Elfbone ring of Kiran Hai or a third item which i can't recall.

Old 12-07-2001, 09:44 PM   #10
SecretMaster
Apophis

Can someone give me the stats of these items?
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote