Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2003, 07:39 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Having Edward as our next King is a worrying thought but as 7th in line of succession that could have happened this week. He was the only leading member of the British Royal Family who didn't attend William's 21st birthday party. The first 6 in line could have been wiped out at one go if this guy had been a real terrorist.

BBC

Blunkett 'concerned' by Windsor stunt

Home Secretary David Blunkett has said he is "deeply concerned" by the security breach which allowed a comedian to gatecrash Prince William's 21st birthday party at Windsor Castle.

He is to make a statement to the Commons on Tuesday after considering a six-page report on the incident by police.

Self-styled "comedy terrorist" Aaron Barschak, dressed as terrorist leader Osama bin Laden in a pink ball gown, scaled a wall at the castle and talked his way past police.

He then mingled with guests including senior royals before jumping on stage as Prince William made a speech.

Police have apologised to the Royal Family over the incident, which Scotland Yard Commissioner Sir John Stevens described as an "appalling" breach of security.

The Tories are angry that the home secretary has chosen to speak to the media before making his statement.

Mr Blunkett says he wants to see that "lessons are learned" from the incident.

Asked if heads would roll over the security breakdown, the home secretary said: "There is no question that after what happened, everyone in every position all the way through counter-terrorism forces and royal protection know their heads are on the block.

"I'm not at the moment looking for scapegoats, I am looking for answers to very difficult questions."

Despite the need to re-assess security of the Royal Family, Mr Blunkett said he was confident the Queen and other Royals were safe.

Shadow home secretary Oliver Letwin said it was outrageous that MPs had to wait for a statement.

"I put down an urgent question today asking the Home Secretary to make a statement in the House of Commons. He has chosen instead to make a statement to the press."

In a point of order in the Commons, shadow leader of the House Eric Forth added: "Is this yet again not a defiance of Mr Speaker's rulings that ministers should not go out and tour the media studios before they come to this House of Commons to give an account of themselves?"

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner David Veness said Mr Barschak had climbed a wall before convincing police at a check point that he had a genuine reason to be there.

"It's a combination of gaining access via an embankment, climbing a tree, jumping on to a wall and then reaching a terrace.

"He then appears to have approached a member of staff of the contractors, who then took him quite properly to a police point.

"He then proffered what must have appeared to be a credible story and regrettably gained access to the area where the party was taking place.

"I understand he indicated that he had reason to be present though the detail is a matter for the criminal investigation and the subsequent internal inquiry."

Asked how close Mr Barschak had been able to get to the Royal Family, Mr Veness said: "In our judgement and with our duty for royal protection there is no such thing as an acceptable proximity."

Senior Met and royal protection officers have already met to "draw out early lessons" from the security breach.

Mr Barschak was arrested inside the castle after mingling with 300 guests, including all the senior members of the Royal Family except Prince Edward, at the Africa-themed fancy dress party.

The comedian told the Sun newspaper: "It was unbelievably simple. I'm amazed I got in. Royal security is not at all what I expected."

Mr Barschak was apparently trying to publicise his Edinburgh Fringe Festival comedy show by dressing up as Osama Bin Laden, according to his father Fred Barschak.

The comedian, from London, was questioned at a Thames Valley police station before being put into the custody of the Metropolitan Police on Sunday.

He was released on bail and is due to return to a London police station next month.

A St James's Palace spokeswoman refused to comment on how the incident had affected the Royal Family and other party guests.

[ 06-24-2003, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-24-2003, 07:43 AM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Donut:
Having Edward as our next King is a worrying thought but as 7th in line of succession that could have happened this week. He was the only leading member of the British Royal Family who didn't attend William's 21st birthday party. The first 6 in line could have been wiped out at one go if this guy had been a real terrorist.

I could only wish that something like that would happen. SERIOUSLY !

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 06-24-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
Donut
Jack Burton

[quote]Originally posted by wellard:
Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

I wouldn't wish anyone dead wellard - especially from a successful terrorist attack.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-24-2003, 09:03 AM   #4
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

[quote]Originally posted by wellard:
Quote:

Sometimes it's better to think before you post, sometimes it's just better to sell your pc all together, I'm no royalist but what possible harm could they have done to you. ?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:51 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Quote:

Sometimes it's better to think before you post, sometimes it's just better to sell your pc all together, I'm no royalist but what possible harm could they have done to you. ?
You need some serious training on that quote button Lanesra!
Old 06-24-2003, 10:08 AM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

It was a venomous post. And as humans they deserve better than what I posted. But can someone tell me how to get rid of that stain on society called the royal family permanently. Like the French and Russians did, without the pathetic germ of some long lost cousin 3 times removed, trying to make a come back like a cancer cell years later.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:20 AM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, I've always been able to make a mental distinction between the institution of the Monarchy and the members of the Royal Family.

The former I would like swept away as the most glaring example of the sort of institution which should not exist in a meritocracy. The latter simply bore me rigid

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-24-2003, 10:22 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

I've re read my first post and yes it was over the top and unsober in tone. So sincere apologies for those I upset. No I would not like terrorism to win at any time. I'm sure that many will be aware that the British monarchy is by default the technical rulers of Australia. So I do have a vested interest into what happens to them.

Once again my apologies