Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2003, 09:55 PM   #11
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:

The solution is probably to bring guys up to consider it normal and ordinary, and would be helped by women being allowed to feel they can feed anywhere, anytime... The more it happens, the more you become used to it.
Exactly! Much like with other issues that some people feel uncomfortable about, the answer is not to hide them away and pretend they don't happen so they don't have to be confronted by them, which only compounds the problem and creates the view that such things are hidden because they are inherently bad/wrong/unacceptable. It's the people who find them uncomfortable that need to change.

I do agree that it can be a little embarrassing, especially for men around a woman who is a like age (as opposed to their auntie or something ), but I think most women who breastfeed try to be a surreptitious as possible - it's probably embarrassing to them, as least at first! But they're certainly not doing it in a sexual manner.

On the radio this morning I heard that in the federal parliament a number of MPs had brought their very young babies in during divisions and so on - Mark Latham, Jackie Kelly are two I remember. And no action was taken against them - certainly seems that the breastfeeding was the sticking point.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #12
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Im getting hungry.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:32 PM   #13
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, if they allowed babies in other situations to be present then it is reprehensible that she was singled out because she was breast-feeding.

I wish people would grow up and realize breasts are not just a sex object.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 02-26-2003, 11:04 PM   #14
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Kirstie Marshall, celebrity MP. Didn't mean to cause a stir?
Oh well, this is a fairly contentious issue, and I don't really know the sides, so I'll step back and ask the question on everyones lips.

If breast feeding in parliament is allowed, will we be seeing such MP's as Pauline Hanson in action?

I can't wait.

[ 02-26-2003, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: sylent ]
Old 02-27-2003, 01:26 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
Well, if they allowed babies in other situations to be present then it is reprehensible that she was singled out because she was breast-feeding.

I think the issue is more that they shouldn't be viewing the breasts of another mans wife or those of a stranger they don't know as a sex object. Or any other part of that woman.

There's nothing wrong with viewing the breasts of ones own woman as being part of a sexual experience. It's perfectly natural for a man to do so. A woman can do the same with her mans chest.

It's a matter of context.

Leonis, she wouldn't have had that problem on an Aussie beach.

Now how's this. Many women sunbake topless on Australian beaches. It's no problem. If they swim in the water topless it's a little more risque, but it's not a faux pas. If she get's up and walks 100 meters over to the ice cream shop, it's a problem.

Now, how many women who feel comfortable sunbaking topless on a beach in full view of strangers, feel as comfortable if male friends are there? Why is it different if you know the person? Like in your example of the woman breastfeeding around a friend.

It goes both ways. I had no problem with Nessa sunbaking topless. None at all. But if I had a mate with us, forget it.

But how do women feel about their men hanging around without a shirt in view of their girlfriends?

Why have there always been two standards? From what I've been told, a mans chest is as sexy to a woman as a womans is to a man.

Is the answer for men to cover up out of respect, or to have women uncovered?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-27-2003, 04:29 AM   #16
Moiraine
Anubis

Seems to me men are willing to tolerate women in power seats only if they behave so as to make them forget their womanhood.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:19 AM   #17
Borvik
Drow Warrior

I wonder what they would have done, if she had changed diapers at the chaiman's desk
Maybe she should have breastfed the baby under a big cloth or something. But then there would have been still an unelected person in the room... It's a dilemma, isn't it? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

[ 02-27-2003, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Borvik ]
Old 02-27-2003, 06:44 AM   #18
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

simple, no babies in parliament period.
You have a baby, you take maternity leave.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:58 AM   #19
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:

No! Breasts are a sex object(s)
This is slightly off topic but a subject close to my heart, Most *all* men find them alluring, you may scoff, you may comment on our depravity, but at the end of the day nothing changes. Breasts like all parts of a female, the slender neck, shapely ankle, delicate hands, curvaceous lines ECT are arousing. I am proud of this and will not apologise for having manly desires, its natural.

edit for spelling

[ 02-27-2003, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-27-2003, 06:59 AM   #20
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Breastfeeding in Parliament?

What's the big deal, Parliament is full of prize tits.
Hear Hear mr speaker ! lol [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years