Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2003, 06:46 PM   #1
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Should it be allowed? What do you think?

Quote:
Source:http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...064105279.html

Stranger at the breast is evicted from the house
February 27 2003

Former Olympic skier Kirstie Marshall caused a stir in the Victorian Parliament yesterday, breastfeeding her new baby in the chamber then missing her first question time.

Ms Marshall, the Labor member for the Melbourne suburban electorate of Forest Hill, was breastfeeding 11-day-old baby Charlotte in the Legislative Assembly before the ringing of the bells calling the house to order.

She left the chamber after being approached by the Sergeant-at-Arms.

Ms Marshall was absent throughout question time, the first of the new Parliament which opened on Tuesday.

Ms Marshall later said she had not realised she was not allowed to feed Charlotte in the chamber.

"Charlotte was due for a feed so I whacked her on the breast and walked in, sat down and then Gavin [the Sergeant-at-Arms] came and told me there was actually a room set aside ... for me to actually feed her," she said.

"I've since found out that there is a law or a rule that actually stated that you can't have a stranger in the house.

"And as she hasn't been elected to Parliament - and I thought that being inside me that was kind of part of it - she's not an individually-elected member."

Ms Marshall said she would abide by the rule but she hoped to be able to feed Charlotte in the chamber in the future.

"I know it is already under consideration, that's the whole thing," she said. "There's due process and everything is changing. They are family friendly otherwise I wouldn't be here."

Ms Marshall said she would try to attend Question Time in the future.

Australian Breastfeeding Association director Lee King said it was disturbing that mothers were still prevented from doing what was natural. "We feel that babies should be breastfed anywhere at any time. It's a baby's right," she said.

AAP
[ 02-26-2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 02-26-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

If she was elected while she was pregnant would the rule not apply in this case? After all the electorate knew they were "voting for 2" when they elected her. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 06:54 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Isn't that the theory by which Hillary became 1/2 president??
Old 02-26-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
If she was elected while she was pregnant would the rule not apply in this case? After all the electorate knew they were "voting for 2" when they elected her. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yeh! Well, it's not like a breastfeeding aged baby is going to reveal any state secrets! Question time, I believe is a public event anyway - it's usually televised here.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
Charlie
Lord Ao

Breastfeeding in Parliament?

What's the big deal, Parliament is full of prize tits.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 02-26-2003, 07:14 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Hey.... i'm all for that... now feed me.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:19 PM   #7
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

I was thinking that the baby was probably only noticed because it was feeding quietly... If it had been squealing and crying and acting like a...a...baby, it would have blended right in!
Old 02-26-2003, 07:40 PM   #8
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OK, I will state right off that I am VERY militant about this. I believe a woman should be able to breast-feed her baby anytime, anywhere. That is the purpose of the breast, to feed and provide nourishment for babies. That is it prime and most important function. People who cannot view breast feeding in this context and only regard breats as sex objects---well there is something wrong with them.

There is nothing wrong or lewd or dirty about a baby being breast-fed. Women shouldn't have to "hide away" when they feed their babies like they are doing something wrong. If they should have to go to a designated area to breast-feed, the bottle babies should have to too.

I shouldn't have gotten started on this.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 02-26-2003, 07:45 PM   #9
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
I was thinking that the baby was probably only noticed because it was feeding quietly... If it had been squealing and crying and acting like a...a...baby, it would have blended right in!
As I understand it the baby was removed but the tit remained...possibly to voice issues such as breastfeeding in parliament or other such important and relevant issues.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 02-26-2003, 08:13 PM   #10
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
OK, I will state right off that I am VERY militant about this. I believe a woman should be able to breast-feed her baby anytime, anywhere. That is the purpose of the breast, to feed and provide nourishment for babies. That is it prime and most important function. People who cannot view breast feeding in this context and only regard breats as sex objects---well there is something wrong with them.

There is nothing wrong or lewd or dirty about a baby being breast-fed. Women shouldn't have to "hide away" when they feed their babies like they are doing something wrong. If they should have to go to a designated area to breast-feed, the bottle babies should have to too.

I shouldn't have gotten started on this.
Agreed! (Not that you shouldn't have gotten started, but the rest...)

I think in all seriousness it was a thinly veiled male objection thing. "First they bring in babies, next they'll be voicing opinions!"

There is no stigma about children and adults eating in public, why should there be for babies? Amazing that after so long, this is still an issue in the so called 'civilized world'.

*However* (serious again) If a baby is in parliament and starts screaming and crying, the mother should be able to continue listening and partaking(sp?) in the nearby room. ie: interactive audio and video connections.

*However 2* I have no objection to a mother feeding wherever she needs to, but I still find it slightly uncomfortable if it's someone I know... More in trying to keeps eyes away so it doesn't look like your trying to see something you shouldn't.

Don't know if I can explain that too well... If a close friend is feeding in front of a man, and they happen to look at the baby, the breast, the mother - I've seen situations where the mother gets upset because they're 'staring' when if their breast wasn't partially exposed, it wouldn't have been a look worth commenting on.

The solution is probably to bring guys up to consider it normal and ordinary, and would be helped by women being allowed to feel they can feed anywhere, anytime... The more it happens, the more you become used to it.

[ 02-26-2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Leonis ]