Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2003, 10:07 AM   #11
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

To add a little literary note, I believe that the original Goths were more into the whole Romantic thing, which, like Poe, Walpole, and Byron, reveled in deserted monastaries and ruined Gothic cathedrals. This, IMHO, was the link with vampism, the whole cross thing, and Ann Rice like characters. Melusine, call your answering service! BTW, Hunter, two years ago in Florida, we ran across a group of Goth dressed teenagers, laughing and cutting up, obviously having the time of their life. Their leader was wearing a gilt and black wizard hat! So, I agree with your descriptions of the cheerful Goths.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #12
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have been considered by friends a "veteren punk". I assume it is becouse I was there doing the punk thing before Blink 182 came around. I grew up with the Ramones and Dead Kennedy's. I am somewhat proud of this past, and reputation with some of my closer friends. If you was to meet me today, you would never know that I was a "punk" (by todays trends) in my youth. When we're young, we seem to shout out loudly who we are. Wether thats clothing or tattoos, or actions. The best way to find out who you are or anyone else for that matter, is to have the aditude of a "goth" or "punk". If you got to know me, you would soon relise that I have a lot of the (origanal) ideals of a "punk" of the early 80's. THIS makes me a "punk", not my clothing or tattoos.
I think that there are alot of "goth" kids out there, that probly have know idea why or how it started. The same goes for "punks" or any other ganre that carrys such trends.
I think Kurt Cobain this best...Check out the lyrics for in "In Bloom"

http://www26.brinkster.com/saran400/...ics/lyrics.htm

[ 02-08-2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 02-08-2003, 11:35 AM   #13
Mojo
Elminster

As some of you may know, I'm considered by many to be a Goth (or in the case of this area, "Gothic, min" ...I really hate the use of the word "Gothic" as a noun...) simply because of the way I dress... I dress the way I do because I like it, not because I want to appear more of a Goth, if you catch my meaning. I don't do it to rebel (my parents are indifferent, even positive about it), I do it because I like it... I suppose I would come under Hunter's "Perky Goth" category. I also detest the "Mopey Goth" idea, for I know exactly what Hunter means when he says they're full of shit, I know a couple of people like this and it seems to me that they purposefully get depressed and on the brink of suicide to appear different, but it really gets my back up...

I'm sure I had more to say, but it's easier to think it all than to write it down...
Old 02-08-2003, 12:20 PM   #14
Niadh
Elminster

A large bit is todays culture where people dress how they do because they think they have to because of the mucisc they listen too, examples are 10 year olds in hoodies and baggy trousers. The overall idea has been lost- originally it was to be different, but now that different is the same. I see this at school all the time. I listen to some heavier music, but I dress "normally" as in not in some sort of sub culture, jeans and jumper etc.
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 02-08-2003, 01:00 PM   #15
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Niadh:
A large bit is todays culture where people dress how they do because they think they have to because of the mucisc they listen too, examples are 10 year olds in hoodies and baggy trousers. The overall idea has been lost- originally it was to be different, but now that different is the same. I see this at school all the time. I listen to some heavier music, but I dress "normally" as in not in some sort of sub culture, jeans and jumper etc.
No kidding, I went to the mall the other days, and ALL the kids where clothed like that. Do they think they look cool, all wearing the same clothing?

They probably don't even realise it. I wonder what happened, when I was young, we didn't all dress in the same way and follow new trends.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Sorry to brake many illusions but what people generally think is Gothic styled churches etc... is not.

The Goths disapeared sometime 570 AC. Not many cathedrals builed during that time.

Briefly, Goths where thought to come from either todays Sweden. or the Scandinavic/Germanic region due to the Historian Jordanes sometime 150 AC.

They split into the westgoths? Donīt know the english term to exact name here and the east goths. 410, Alaric plunder Rome and settle in France, and then makes an realm in Spain that last until 710.

The east goths conquer most of Italy led by Theoderik the great. Their realm is extinct sometime 550.

Unfortunately the only links I have is Swedish ones... but on the other sides... you people only link to english sites all the time hehehe

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 02-08-2003, 06:00 PM   #17
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by purre:
really? didnt know that,but I guess I'll have to take your word for it,for you always tell the Truth
Heya Purre. How's it going? I'm just wondering, do you really think we're stupid enough to not read what it is you're quoting?
Not to sound like a goody two-shoes here, but changing people's quotes like that is going to bring you some unwanted trouble. Just thought I'd say, y'know, as a friendly gesture n' all.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #18
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Oh no we donīt ignore you.. if you want to know someone who is ignored, itīs me. I would much rather see you here than getting booted away.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:10 PM   #19
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by purre:
I dont care,I have been ignored always,so there is no difference in this either.read it or not,it's your decision.
who says the trouble is unwanted?
Right, 'ignore you' it is then.
No time for attention-seeking crybabies.
See ya later luv.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:10 PM   #20
purre
Banned

dont try.
if you really want to see me,you'll find me