Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 06:52 AM   #1
Guin Ness
Elite Waterdeep Guard

On the weekend my sick pc needed to have it's hard drive wiped and reinstalled. As a result I backed up my Baldur's Gate cache and save folders onto CD thinking it would be easy to get back to the game after my computer got well again. Unfortunately though after having installed Baldurs' Gate, SotSC and finally putting the cache and save files back into their place I find I can't start my saved game now (extremely annoying since I've spent months on the thing and have just got to Chapter 7!!!). The error message that comes after loading the saved game (and subsequent game crash) is:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program file\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate\BGMAIN2.EXE abnormal program termination."

After that I can't even start Baldur's Gate, but get this error message instead:
"Assertion: An Assertion failed in D:\Dev\Baldur\IntGame.cpp at line number 2315".

I've also tried without installing SotSC, but the same problem occurs with BGMAIN.EXE.

Any ideas as to how I can solve this? Please!!
Guin Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 04:36 PM   #2
vesselle
Hathor

Assertion errors like the one you got are usually due to a corrupted map. But that is sooo easily fixed. You shouldn't have bothered to save your cache. That's the problem. Destroy it, wipe it, delete it, toss it in the trash.
The game will create a new one.
If, after restarting, you still get that error, it might be a dirty diskette or damaged diskette. But in my experience, erasing the Cache Folder worked everytime.
Good luck.

V***V
vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote