Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 12:01 AM   #1
Bob Billson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Some people might consider this cheating. I consider this "workign the system". It is perfectly legal, and still involves a bit of skill.

* you have been warned *

If you go to the Drake's Nests (west of Aridale, found by going n by nw out of aridale, then turning south west) you can get a lot of XP very early if you have any distance weapon.

There is a range where the drake's do not respond to you, even if they are being hit. ... it is fairly far away ... well out of the range of your distance weapon.

HOWEVER

You can still hit them! THe trick is to aim what (At least to me) seems somewhat lower than your intended target. I used throwing knives, and they seemed to float "up" somehwat after I threw them.

Anyway, it takes some practice, but eventually you can find the spot where you can throw or shoot at will and hit the Drake 75% of the time. After about 10 minutes of this, the Drake will kick the bucket.

With monster difficulty set to Hard, I yielded somewhere around 300K per kill!

If you use this strategy, I recommend investing everything into agility first at least one time. This will allow you to throw/shoot more rapidly, and thereby take down the drakes faster.

Bob Billson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
the mighty stamar

Um in the elven trial in arindale you can kill the archer elder for 600k xp and some other elder for 300 k xp
the only thing is it takes a long time i gave up after a half hour not 10 minutes. maybe if i had better agility at the time it would have been faster.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
Too Darkpark
The Magister

i did the elder quest with my samurai that had a high agility but it still took too long, so i gave up after a while.

what i find easier is to head down to skuldoon and fight in the arena with the gladiator/minatour. killing him gives you 30k of experience which isn't as high but it's much easier and faster. i bet i could fight and kill him 10 times in less time than it takes to take down a fire drake. plus, fighting that minatour is a lot more fun than standing in one spot clicking on your mouse to fire your bow.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Bob!!!

Thanks for sharing the tip, I'm sure some players will find it very useful. I still haven't managed to even get started - sigh - soon I hope!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
Bob Billson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Too Darkpark:
what i find easier is to head down to skuldoon and fight in the arena with the gladiator/minatour. killing him gives you 30k of experience which isn't as high but it's much easier and faster. i bet i could fight and kill him 10 times in less time than it takes to take down a fire drake. plus, fighting that minatour is a lot more fun than standing in one spot clicking on your mouse to fire your bow.
I absolutely agree. Your method is easier, and more fun. However, I used this trick very early in the game. I think I was level 3 when I stumbled across the trick. So, yes, it is slow, but in 30 minutes I got almost 1 million XP & jumped about 5-6 (?) levels. Also, it was fun to throwa ton into my thief's lockpicking skills and then crack the amazing loot from the 3 chests in the area.

I'm level 11 right now & just saw the gladiator you're talking about for the 1st time.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:45 AM   #6
the mighty stamar

well i knocked off two of them. you definitely earn your experience that way i wouldnt call that an exploit
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #7
Bob Billson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey -- glad someone liked it.

I actually have had a lot of fun killing Drakes. Every once and a while I take a trip back there, just for kicks and giggles. If you stand around long enough one will respawn. *be warned though* these "respawns" will NOT be as polite as the originals. They do *not* hold still...they will come after you with a fiery vengeance.

I found either one of these two techniques to work well:

a) Get to the nearby shrine and run around it so that the Drake is on one side, and you on the other. Use the pillars as shields. If the drake starts to move, move the opposite direction so you are always across from each other. Meanwhile, conitnually pelt the beast wit ha distance weapon!

OR

b) I started doing this after finding a "Dagger of Winter" in a Northlands chest. THe trick to this is getting to the same physical level as the Drake...so either you'll need to wait until it sits down (not recommended!), or run up to a small hill. Whack it with the freeze weapon continually. If your agility is fairly hihg (mine is 67) you'll be able to keep it frozen and nearly never get hit. (This is almost so easy I felt guilty!)

Have fun!

[ 05-25-2005, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Bob Billson ]