Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2001, 03:08 PM   #1
Ramon

Hello !

On another thread there was kind of a disagreement between me on one side and Memnoch and Armisael on the other whether spelltrap spells do or do not grant protection from area-effect spells (such as fireball) and spells not exclusively targetted at one target (like insect plague).

They say they do not, I say they do. I am not at all certain, though, for I have only my experience to judge from. Im am "blessed" with a very sloppily translated and edited German manual which I have found to be a rather unreliable source for in-depth information. But I do not think I ever a done a single hitpoint of damage to an opponent protected by a spelltrap spell with an area-effect spell. And I have given it some tries. For instance, during the last battle with Irenicus I had Aerie cast 3 or 4 holysmites at him without any effect. And mind you, that was after Keldorn had dispelled his various protective spells.

Another thing I never quite figured out is
an exact definition of magic energy. In the description of the level 6 mage spell "Protection from magic energies" the only examples given are horrid withering and magic
missile. There have to be more.

One last thing: normally it is stated in the spell description if a spell only effects enemies (holysmite and horrid withering come to mind as examples), but on this board I have repeatedly seen "Cloudkill" mentioned as
effecting only enemies. The spell description
does not say so - neither in English nor in German. But if it is true, are there any more
spells like that ? For instance, how about the high level "Symbol of ..." spells.
I have never used them much, because I was afraid they would do more harm to my party than to the enemy and I thought that they were only ideally suited for mages/priests fighting all by themselves.

Well, enlighten me, please !

So long,

Ramon

Old 01-06-2001, 04:08 PM   #2
Nebuchedrezzar

the reason why holy smite doesnt work on irenicus is beacuase he uses elminsters stats and is chaotic good so you would need unholy blight to hurt him. The symbol spells do affect your party. cludkill affects you & your party But abi-dalziims doesnt

Old 01-07-2001, 09:20 PM   #3
Ramon

You want to tell me that by killing Irenicus
we actually kill Elminster and that therefore Irenicus' alignment is chaotic
good ? How weird ! Why should they do that ?

Thanks, anyway, but I am still eager for more enlightenment !

So long,

Ramon

Old 01-07-2001, 09:26 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Hey Nebuchedrezzar, are you any relation to Nebuchadnezzar?
Old 01-07-2001, 10:14 PM   #5
Jon the Hell Caster

WHAT why is Irenicus Elminster? Maybe for BGIII it turns out you killed Elminster and the whole world wants to kill you?

Old 01-08-2001, 12:06 AM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Say what you will, the fictional character Irenicus is not of good alignment. If his stats say he is then it shows the ridiculousness of stats and that they are in error.
By very definition he is evil.

Neb, if what you say is true, how did you come upon this information, and who do we roast for inconsistent programming and gaming contradiction?
Old 01-08-2001, 12:12 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Oh, Infity explorer is it? Only just clicked. Well that's very disappointing.

Also Nebuchadnezzar is the name of the Babylonian king of 'The Book of Daniel' fame. Very close to your Nebuchedrezzar, that's why I asked. It's a little less common than Walter or Earnest.
Old 01-08-2001, 09:48 AM   #8
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmm... im a mage and i will give you my best shot at it...

1. i go with Memnoch and Armisel ... area spells affected me already even though i was protected
2. i didnt know Irenicous had the stats of Elf Minister... how wierd... how cool and how ...er wow... thats all i can say
3. magical energy means energy... fireball doesnt count since its like a elemental energy or acid cloud or cloud kill... or ice storm ...do you understand?? gets??
4. abi damhim horrid writing is one of the most powerful spells in the game but when it comes to dueling... i cant use it since it only works on enemeis... what a disadvantage for me... oh well there is always imprisonment... =)
Old 01-08-2001, 10:15 AM   #9
Nebuchedrezzar

irenicus is NOT elminster. He just has his stats ie strength, wis etc and his alignement and his level (29th level mage.)
nothing to do with elminster at ALL except for what i mentioned which is err................
quite a lot
If you look (with infexp) lot of charecters have odd alignments and stats.
an the reason why most liches are invulnablre to fireball etc is that spells of 6th or so level juist dont seem to work on them (it just says spell ineefective.)

which Nebuchedrezzar am i related to? i dunno its just the name of a 2 bablyonion kings i belive

Old 01-08-2001, 11:09 AM   #10
RedArrow

SPOILER!
I finally beat the game last night(hurrah!) and Imoen had spell trap activated from the staff of magi. I reloaded like 10 times to kill Irenicus without any casulties in my party and god knows how many times Imoen died! No spell trap doesn't protect you from AE spells.