Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
A weird thing happened today at work. It has happened before but this is just too weird to go unnoticed.
We were driving towards the town we had to work today, and normally we have the radio on, or listen to CD's, this time we were just talking, about this and that, nothing in particular.
When we got to the site, we started to unload our stuff and this weird song pops into my head (Madammen met een bontjas- Urbanus van Anus).

Not your average song i'd say. Anyway, it kept hanging in my head for a few minutes for some reason, when suddenly my brother started singing that song out loud, the exact same song that was in my head !!!

I didn't hear it on the radio, and we never talked about it either. Telepathy ? Weird coinsedence ?

I'm asking this because it's just too weird, and it happened a couple of times before, but only with my brother and me.

Do you think there's such a thing as telepathy ? Me sending out vibes which are picked up by my bro's mind ?
This can't be an incident anymore, it happened one time too many for that.
Your thoughts please.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:01 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

The same thing happens to me and my sister a lot.
For instance, she starts to sing a song I was just thinking of, even though I didn't hum it out loud, it wasn't just on the radio, it isn't very popular at the time and we weren't having a conversation you could trace back to that song. It's also happened that either of us started talking about something completely unrelated to the current topic, that the other was just thinking of as well.

Personally I haven't seen any evidence of telepathy, and the instances with my sister, although they are frequent, I've always thought of as simply stemming from the fact that we're sisters, we're close, we have the same background, etc.
I'm not saying telepathy cannot exist - thoughts could very well be a sort of wave that can be picked up - who knows? It's just that I don't immediately think of telepathy when such things happen, I think of it simpy as proof that I'm close to someone. [img]smile.gif[/img]
It is a very weird experience when it happens though, I'll give you that!!

[ 01-24-2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 01-24-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
MagiK

I do not believe it is telepathy but Synchronicity! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2003, 01:06 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
But how can you explain such a thing ? And is it normal that it happens more than once ? If you knew the song i mentioned, you'd know how weird this is. It's a very weird song from a very weird performer. Not a song that you like having in your head all the time. And he started singing that exact same song!!! How weird is that ???
Old 01-24-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

If I understand a physics bit of trivia correctly, we know that the brain emits and receives beta waves. What we don't know is whether or not it can interpret them. I believe I have read somewhere that because of this telepathy is *possible* where physics is concerned. Don't pin me down on it - just trying to toss in an idea for the science gurus to maybe address.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:13 PM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I knew the main theme of Chronologie part 2 (by Jean Michel Jarre) about a year before the Chronologie album was released.

Though my memory is usually rather bad I am extremely good at remembering certain melodies.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:13 PM   #7
purre
Banned

I think that it is somesort of telepathy,have experienced things like that very often. [img]smile.gif[/img]
usually with mom,she and I start to say something just at the same time,and we say the same thing,or I start to ask something and just as I'm starting to ask, she answers..and stuff like that..

btw,are you very close to your brother? if you dont mind me asking
Old 01-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
But how can you explain such a thing ? And is it normal that it happens more than once ? If you knew the song i mentioned, you'd know how weird this is. It's a very weird song from a very weird performer. Not a song that you like having in your head all the time. And he started singing that exact same song!!! How weird is that ???

Similar types of things have happened to me many times through out my life. I choose to believe it is random chance rather than me having some kind of super power [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]

Old 01-24-2003, 01:19 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I have experienced that a lot with my family members, too, especially with my father. And even when we where kilometers (or miles) apart.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:21 PM   #10
Borvik
Drow Warrior

I hope I don't scare you Johnny, but I do believe that telepathy or however you want to call it exists or at least could happen. Not very much people are really capable of doing it - I mean we can't control it. It maybe has a lot to do with the way we think. We tend to believe it's something supernatural or simple BS just because we can't explain it. Why shouldn't we have some kind of sensors that makes us able to hear/feel the thoughts of another person? Our thoughts are in the end electrical impulses in our brain and should therefore emit electromagnetical waves (induction - physics ya know ). All you need now is the right antenna... (I'm not kidding allthough that's a really simple way of trying to explain it)