Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2002, 03:11 AM   #41
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I'd still prefer a good curved scythe to a halberd.

[img]smile.gif[/img] This reminds me of a time 6 years ago (Back when I was a young and stupid 16 yr old). I had just left home (cause I was young and I knew best!), me and my friends were checking out this abandoned hospital and came across a couple of rusty scythes; the next hour was full of mock fights. The thing is, they are so slow and unwieldy! They may look cool but don't make a good weapon IMO. Give me a quarterstaff any day, it has reach, speed and blocking capability [img]smile.gif[/img]
As for halberds, a double ended one might be alright? *ponders*
Old 02-12-2002, 05:28 AM   #42
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:

[img]smile.gif[/img] This reminds me of a time 6 years ago (Back when I was a young and stupid 16 yr old). I had just left home (cause I was young and I knew best!), me and my friends were checking out this abandoned hospital and came across a couple of rusty scythes; the next hour was full of mock fights. The thing is, they are so slow and unwieldy! They may look cool but don't make a good weapon IMO. Give me a quarterstaff any day, it has reach, speed and blocking capability [img]smile.gif[/img]
As for halberds, a double ended one might be alright? *ponders*

Well, you just need the strength to wield the scythe properly then, if you have that strength it can kick ass [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2002, 11:44 AM   #43
Thoran
Galvatron

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:

No no no..
Check this out, and I can prove you wrong

I stand corrected... that was a great thread. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2002, 04:22 PM   #44
Downunda

quote:

Well, you just need the strength to wield the scythe properly then, if you have that strength it can kick ass [img]tongue.gif[/img]

So what are you saying? [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2002, 04:24 PM   #45
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:

So what are you saying? [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

[img]tongue.gif[/img] Think about it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2002, 04:34 PM   #46
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Hehehe! FIGHT!! Lets Put: Neb With His Sycthe Vs. Downunda And A Quarterstaff
Old 02-12-2002, 04:44 PM   #47
Downunda

quote:

[img]tongue.gif[/img] Think about it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yeah, [img]smile.gif[/img] it was a rhetorical question [img]tongue.gif[/img]

BTW in another thread you said you listen to loud music, anything I may have heard? Korn, System of a Down, Limp Biscuit, Ministry, White Zombie and Rage against the Machine are a few of my loud favorites.
I also enjoy Dre's 2001, and most anything to do Ska Punk and Dance.
Sorry, know it's off topic. hehe [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2002, 04:52 PM   #48
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:

Or better yet, a long bow and a couple of salmons..
Preferably dead, but in emergency I guess you could use live ones..

You dolt! Don't you know you're supposed to use chickens? On top of them being more aerodynamic, you can load the back end with a stick of dynamite for that little extra kick!
Old 02-12-2002, 06:54 PM   #49
Downunda

quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Hehehe! FIGHT!! Lets Put: Neb With His Sycthe Vs. Downunda And A Quarterstaff

bring it on! [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

Downunda and Neb stand in a ring (not unlike the type used for Sumo wrestling) and stare each other down. Neb clutches his scythe with the expertise of an expert while Downunda looks abnormaly calm with only one hand holding the upper end of his oak quarterstaff. Beaumanoir steps to the centre of the ring, raises the mike.
"Ladies..dies..ies..s and Gentlemen..men..en..n. Welcome to the fight of the day! In the red corner we have Neb the Cudnezer, five wins, one loss while in the white corner fighting for his right to drink beer at 10 in the morning we have the Down from Unda, Downunda with seven wins from nine fights. Who will win? Let's let the fight begin and find out!", he then hurries out the way of the carnage to come.

Neb strikes quickly, trying to catch Downunda off guard. He leans forward and swings low, Downunda jumps back out of the way and crouches just avoiding the glistening blade. He then launches himself in Nebs direction, his staff now wielded with both hands and does a flick towards Nebs head. Neb manages to block with the shaft of his weapon and pushes away, both fighters lose their balance and fall over backwards.

Both are quickly back on their feet and start pacing around the ring each watching the others slightest movement. Downunda does a fake to the left but Neb sees right through him and swings with all his weight behind him. Downunda realizes his mistake as the scythe slices towards his right leg, like lightning Downunda shifts his weight back and to his left stabbing his staff into the ground in front of him to block the incoming attack.
The scythe smashes into the staff but rather than trying to completely stop the swing Downunda lets Neb carry through giving the quarterstaff alot of upward momentum, he then brings it up and sideways straight towards Neb who, with the momentum of his swing now has his back to his opponent (not a good position).
Just as Downunda is about to bring his staff crashing down on the back of Nebs neck he notices a chicken zooming towards the ring at phenominal speed.

After the smoke clears, Beaumanoir steps back into whats left of the ring, the only noise is that of Sir Kenyth up in the stands yelling "See! I told you exploding chickens were better!"

To Be Continued... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit for spelling and extra spaces between paras so it's easier to read

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Downunda ]

Old 02-13-2002, 02:34 AM   #50
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

The Halbard...I feel I should comment, having considerable experience with halbs.

The halberdier came into effect with the release of the expansion pack "The Conquerors". This allowed pikemen to be upgraded to halberdier. The main object of the halb is now to effectively counter both light and heavy cavalry, present in the Imperial age. Prior to the expansion, cavalry had reigned supreme on the imperial battlefield, defeating the weaker pikemen. This balanced the game sufficently to allow non-cavalry imperial age play.

Also in this release, the effectiveness of the camel against halbs was reduced, meaning that the camel became less usefull.

The best civ to use for halbs is obviously an infantry civ, either Goths (b/c of cheap infantry) or celts (because of sped bonus).

In conclusion, the halb is an important part of any imperial age army, with the most use en masse.

Sorry if I made mistakes, I am a bit rusty with that. But that is my standard halb spiel.

BTW, I didnt read the thread, so I dont know if this is on topic or not, sorry.

PS: 4 raxes by late castle (minimum!!)
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas