Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2002, 09:06 AM   #11
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Music and songs easily move me so I couldn't really point out any single one [img]smile.gif[/img]

Accents? Doesn't really change anything for me [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 10:03 AM   #12
ʆë®Ñï†Ý
Zhentarim Guard

Okkiez, there aren't really songs I relate to but there are songs that are really moving.

"wind beneath my wings" and some chinese ones *grynz*

as for accents. Well I really like american accents heehee... it's not so much a turn on as it attracts my attention although I have to agree with what's already been said and say that it's not so much the accent as the voice. I reckon also what kind of association you have in your mind with that timbre of voice is important and definitely the tone of voice ~smilez~

my 2cents *winkz*
Old 01-19-2002, 06:04 AM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

mmm mmm... love those Aussie and Brit accents..

Songs..hmm. well probably tons.. you know Cloudy, she never picks one thing when she can have 10!

I think maybe to start, I'd say, Garth Brooks(and Kent Blazy)- "How you ever gonna know". In general, it says a lot about how I see the world, but it has sentimental meaning for me now. Believe it or not, I was listening to this song the night Nachtrafe and I decided to take our relationship to 'real life' ..... several months and a few ups and downs later, I'm still a happy camper for having "taken the chance" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Is that romantic enough for you, Larry? [img]smile.gif[/img]

How You Ever Gonna Know

Anything in life worth havin'
Lord, it has its sacrifice
But the gift that you're receiving
Is worth more than the price

How you ever gonna know
What it's like to live there
How you ever gonna know
What you never knew
How you ever gonna know
If you're down here doin'
What the good Lord put you here to do
How you ever gonna know
If you could have done it
How you ever gonna know
How it feels to fly
How you ever gonna know
If you never dare to try

Listen not to the critics
Who put their dreams on the shelf
If you want to get the truth to admit it
You gotta find out for yourself

How you ever gonna know
What it's like to be there
How you ever gonna know
If you're the best
How you ever gonna know
What you believe in
If you don't put it to the test
How you ever gonna know
How it feels to hold him
How you ever gonna know
What livin' means
How you ever gonna know
If you never chase the dream

How you ever gonna know
Your potential
How you ever gonna know victory
How you ever gonna know
What it's like when dreams
become reality
How you ever gonna know
How it feels to hold her
How you ever gonna know
What it's like to dance
How you ever gonna know
If you never take the chance

Cloudy

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]

Old 01-19-2002, 06:15 AM   #14
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I would suggest Lovely Day by Bill Withers for the song. As for accents, these days, any woman who engages me in flirtatious discourse per se has a sexy accent

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 01-19-2002, 06:28 AM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL, Cloudy! My favourite accent has to be British, followed by Aussie too. And I love a good Irish/Scottish accent, preferably coming from old men - though not in a romantic sense of course

Some song texts I love:

The Tea Party - The Messenger

got a letter from a messenger
i read it when it came
it said that you were wounded
you were bound and chained
you had love and you were handled
you were poisoned you were pained
oh no you were naked
you were shamed

you could almost touch heaven
right there in front of you
liberty just slipped away on us
now there's so much work to do
oh the door that closes tightly
is the door than can swing wide
oh no not expecting to collide

for a minute i let my guard down
not afraid to be found out
i completely forgot dear
what our fears were all about
oh no there's no need to be without

if there's a chance i would take it
this desire i can't kill
take my heart please don't break it
i will crawl to your foothill

i'm frightened but i'm coming
please baby please lay still
oh no i'm not coming for the kill

The Tea Party - Gone

broken moments in time could till shine
but they're getting old
if you could see the world with my eyes
you'd be so surprised at what you'd know

so, if you see my angel of light
with her sweet wine
could you let me know
because i think she's gone again

fatal are these moments of trust
that pleases us and who would know
helped here by the passions of life
now strife won't let me go

so, if you see my angel of light
with her sweet wine
i think she needs to know
that i've gone again
i've really gone again
i think i'm gone again

so lonely

Smashing Pumpkins - Soma (also check out Luna - I love that song)

Nothing left to say And all I've left to do Is run away From you And she led me on, down With secrets I can't keep Close your eyes and sleep Don't wait up for me Hush now don't you speak To me Wrapped my hurt in you And took my shelter in that pain The opiate of blame Is your broken heart, your heart So now I'm all by myself As I've always felt I'll betray my tears To anyone caught in our ruse of fools One last kiss for me...yeah One last kiss good night Didn't want to lose you once again Didn't want to be your friend Fulfilled a promise made of tin And crawled back to you I'm all by myself As I've always felt I'll betray myself To anyone, lost, anyone but you So let the sadness come again On that you can depend on me, yeah Until the bitter, bitter end of the world, yeah When god sleeps in bliss And I'm all by myself As I've always felt And I'll betray myself To anyone
Old 01-19-2002, 06:36 AM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

Oh and with regard to classical music, some of the most poignant arias I know are Pamina's "Ach, ich fühl' es, es ist verschwunden" from Mozart's Die Zauberflöte and the Martern aller Arten aria from Die Entführung aus dem Serail.
Oh, and the short coloratura from Carmina Burana: Dulcissime! Totam tibi subdo me... (Sweetest one! Ah! I give myself to you totally) followed by "Ave Formosissima":

Ave formosissima!
Gemma pretiosa
Ave decus virginum
Virgo gloriosa
Ave mundi luminar
Ave mundi rosa
Blanziflor et Helena
Blanziflor et Helena
Venus generosa!

(trans: Hail, most beautiful one,
precious jewel,
Hail, pride among virgins,
glorious virgin,
Hail. light of the world,
Hail, rose of the world,
Blanchefleur and Helen,
noble Venus!)
Old 01-19-2002, 06:50 AM   #17
Erydian
Manshoon

I'm a huge music fan, and I tend to be extremely moved by it. But for me, it isn't just the lyrics that define a great, and/or moving song. It's the music itself - the instruments played, the melody, as well as the vocals. I get chills up my spine when I hear a truly amazing song. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've always have a ton of different things that I want to say, and I'm not sure that anyone could put words to an emotion I felt exactly the way that I would want it to be said. But what makes artforms such as music, poetry, and even prose so beautiful is the fact that listening to someone else's take on something that you've felt or experienced can often make you reflect on your own feelings/opinions in new ways. As for whether I've ever thought of composing my own expression, I often do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here are some songs that have notably moved me:
*I Don't Want to Miss A Thing - Aerosmith (good call Garnet [img]smile.gif[/img] )
*Shameless - Garth Brooks
*Stuck In A Moment - U2
*Heaven Coming Down - Tea Party
*The Messenger - Tea Party
*With Or Without You - U2
*All I Want Is You - U2
*Break Your Heart - Barenaked Ladies
*To Where You Are - Josh Groban

As for accents - they don't make a world of difference for me, but I do find Australian and Irish accents appealing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2002, 07:56 AM   #18
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Not exactly a romantic set of songs but I strongly recommend "Electro-shock Blues" by the Eels for anyone affected easily by music and lyrics. The album was written shortly after the lead singers sister killed herself due to mental problems, and his mother died of cancer. This left him the only surviving member of his family and he proceeded to write this album! You may think that makes it depressing, but it actually just makes it very moving. Lots of the songs are devoted to saying goodbye to his relatives, like "Last stop this Town" in which he imagines his sister flying down from heaven to say goodbye. It has lines like:

Taking a spin through the neighbourhood,
The neighbours scream "Whatcha talking about",
'Cos they don't know how to let you in,
And I can't let you out,

Or it has songs like "Dead of Winter" about his mother. With lines like:

So I guess your going pretty soon,
Radiation sore throat got your tongue,
Magic markers tattoo you and show it where to aim,
Strangers break the promise that you won't feel any pain,

But then the album finishes on a massive high after 15 songs about death and lonliness. The last song is called "PS You Rock my World" and it is basically about how he comes to terms with life after everyone has died. It is incredibly moving as it finishes such a soul searching album with the repeated line "Maybe its time to live" accompanied by a huge string section. In general the album is more of a concept album - the journey of the leadsinger/songwriter through all of his grief and back onto his life. The most moving experience of my life, that album. I strongly recommend it.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-19-2002, 08:17 AM   #19
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:

Galadria, don't think of being boring and predictable---think of being comfortably cozy.[/QB]

Thanks, Garnet. I really feel obsolete, reading about all this music that I know nothing about. All I can say, is that if it moves anyone, it must be good. Also good toknow that there are so many romantics on the board, but, thinking about it, I guess fantasy and roleplaying wouldn't have much appeal to Realists, would it?
Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 01-19-2002, 08:59 AM   #20
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Erydian:
I'm a huge music fan, and I tend to be extremely moved by it. But for me, it isn't just the lyrics that define a great, and/or moving song. It's the music itself - the instruments played, the melody, as well as the vocals. I get chills up my spine when I hear a truly amazing song. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good point, you're right of course. All of the lyrics I mentioned are only so beautiful to me in combination with the music, the way they are sung, etc. It's the song as a whole that makes it touching, not just the lyrics.
Hey, very cool that you know and like the Tea Party as well - they are very famous in Canada and Australia I hear, but in Europe they're a bit more obscure. They really have made some of the most poignant songs I ever heard.

Oh, and another song I'd like to add (it's far from romantic, but very touching): the "Grabrede" from Hanns Eisler's Die Mutter (based on Berthold Brecht's play based on Maxim Gorki's novel [img]smile.gif[/img] )
It's probably not very well-known, so I thought I'd add it here and people may check it out. [img]smile.gif[/img] It's about a young communist getting executed, and it really captures so much in a simple melody and seemingly simple lyrics.
My choir is performing it tonight in Paradiso, Amsterdam, so it's been on my mind all day. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Grabrede

Aber, als er zur Wand ging um erschossen zu werden,
ging er zu einer Wand, die von seinesgleichen gemacht war.

Und die Gewehre, gerichtet auf seine Brust,
und die Kugel war von seinesgleichen gemacht.

Nur fortgegangen waren sie also, oder vertrieben
Aber für ihn doch da
und anwesend im Werk ihrer Hände.

Nicht einmal die auf ihn schossen waren andere als er,
und nicht ewig auch unbelehrbar.

Freilich, er ging noch gefesselt in Ketten
geschmiedet von den Genossen, und angelegt dem Genossen,
und er der dies begriff, begriff es auch nicht,
Doch dichter wuchsen die Werke, er sah es vom Weg aus
Schornstein an Schornstein, und da es am Morgen war,
denn man führt sie am Morgen hinaus für gewöhnlich,
waren sie leer.
Er aber sah sie angefüllt mit jenem Heer,
Das immer gewachsen war und noch wuchs.

Ihn aber führten seinesgleichen zur Wand jetzt
Und er, der es begriff, begriff es auch nicht.