Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2001, 12:06 AM   #1
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hum this depends on your playing style and how you play(evil/good)and really they are all about the same some stand out and also what kind of stronghold do you want,what kind of romance do you want,these are the things i look at and also i stated i like fighter/thief classes,there are only two in the game,something to look at
Old 02-24-2001, 12:06 AM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I think you are going to get wide and varied responses to this one!
For NPC's I am currently using Minsc (good fighter when you get better weapons later in game), Keldorn (not the best fighter, but high HP and I like his Paladin abilities), Jaheira (good spells and can wear armor and good with staff/simitar), Aerie (I choose her b/c mage/cleric) and Imoen (better thief than Nalia).
The choice of NPC's might depend on the alignment you want your party to have. There are good "evil" and good "good" NPC's.
Also the choice for your character should depend on what you want to play. Whatever you choose to play you can find 5 NPC's to round out the party to your liking.
Old 02-24-2001, 12:07 AM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Dammit Hellfire--this is twice now that I have responded just seconds after you--are either of us fighting on the other thread???
Old 02-24-2001, 12:08 AM   #4
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

It depends on your playing style.

All have merits depending on what you use them for.

I personally like the straight classes:

Korgan -- fighter
Viconia -- cleric
Mazzy -- fighter
Keldorn -- paladin
Edwin -- Mage
Nalia -- thief/Mage (so level thief that it really only adds HP)
Old 02-24-2001, 12:29 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

I agree with both Hellfire & Moridin, but can offer some advice although these are obviously very personal choices and my views are based on MY playing style, the same may not apply to you:-
Haer'Dalis SUCKS. He has fewer HP than some of the mage NPCs, and couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. He is useless. Which is a shame, because I LOVE BARDS. I want a whole party of bards
Nalia is a good mage, but whines a lot
Jan is funny, but levels slowly. He has a lot of equipment which boosts his performance. Overall, I'd say he's definitely worth having just for the humour.
Mazzy is great but only has 15 strength and you have to get to her quickly or she ends up with a lot of points on Short Swords which is not the best weapon. Better when equipped with a strength enhancing item.
Valygar is good as a ranged fighter and as he's a stalker can backstab, I would recommend him
Aerie is great, but again multiclass so levels slowly. She is not very strong, but I usually equip her with the 'Mauler's Arm' Mace which gives strength 18 - gives her a chance to fight back if she gets attacked at close range
Viconia is a good cleric, lots of spells and can wear all the good armour & use a shield although I usually prefer a good party. Strength not brilliant, but there are items that can help with this
Anomen is whiney and arrogant, but if you can put up with that he's a good fighter/cleric
Keldorn isn't much good IMO, his dexterity is only 9 so his base AC is apalling
Edwin has LOADS of spell slots, but as I usually play good alignment I do not usually recruit him
Korgan is a good fighter, ditto about alignment
Cernd - a waste of space IMHO, why have him when Jaheira can tank as well as summon elementals?
Yoshimo - er... take him along for chapter 4 at the very least, especially if you plan to get Imoen
Imoen - thief skills average, spell casting average, but hey, she's a part of the plot. You don't have to recruit her though, it's not essential
Minsc - not the best fighter, but very funny, and who wouldn't want the adorable Boo in their party!
Jaheira - good fighter and druid, definitely worth putting up with her nagging!

This is all subjective though, and an argument (good natured of course) will probably ensue about which party is best!!!!
Old 02-24-2001, 12:32 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Sorry, I realise I have used the word 'good' in two ways - of 'good' alignment and 'good' as in great! This may be confusing in some instances. Viconia is a 'great' Cleric, but downright EVIL!!!
As usual I have managed to muddy the waters .....
Old 02-24-2001, 11:55 AM   #7
Keose Dakine

well if i start over yet again i was wondering who where the best npc's so i can make a character to balance them out

Old 02-24-2001, 05:49 PM   #8
Ramon

Sorry, Epona, but I could not disagree more with you on Keldorn: in my not so humble opinion he is the most useful npc in the game. And he is an inquisitor, not a true kit paladin, Father, and that is at the center of his value. I won't go into more details here in order not to spoil any rookies, just this: later on in the game, if used and equipped properly, Keldorn is close to being immune to magic and a magekiller deluxe. Of course, like all lawful good characters he can be a bit tiresome conversationwise.

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-24-2001, 05:54 PM   #9
Patriarch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Valygar is one of the best NPC's I found!
I ditched his spears when I got him and started him dual wielding Katana's. For most of the game he weilded two Katana +2 (not the best weapons I know) but after the Underdark he was weilding Celestial Fury and the Blade of roses. With a girdle of 19 strength and boots of speed he had 4 attacks per round, THAC0 -4 and -2 (or similar) and inflicted about 25 damage per hit. He could easily have trashed Minsc, who was level 19 ranger, weilding the Vorpal sword
Old 02-24-2001, 05:55 PM   #10
Patriarch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Valygar is one of the best NPC's I found!
I ditched his spears when I got him and started him dual wielding Katana's. For most of the game he weilded two Katana +2 (not the best weapons I know) but after the Underdark he was weilding Celestial Fury and the Blade of roses. With a girdle of 19 strength and boots of speed he had 4 attacks per round, THAC0 -4 and -2 (or similar) and inflicted about 25 damage per hit. He could easily have trashed Minsc, who was level 19 ranger, weilding the Vorpal sword.