Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2001, 02:45 PM   #1
alz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Found these the other day -- my old notes after I built the Shrine. I handed these off to Kevin, who did his thing (wiring it up) then handed it off to Dave. I stopped playing the final game before I got to the Shrine, so I don't know what made it into the game and what didn't.

http://darkslayers.com/deep6/thumbs/Shrine-outdoor.gif
http://darkslayers.com/deep6/thumbs/Shrine1.gif
http://darkslayers.com/deep6/thumbs/Shrine2.gif
http://darkslayers.com/deep6/thumbs/Shrine3.gif

**NE, NW, etc. means Northeast, Northwest, etc. (North being the top of the page). I thought the doors in the Shrine were pretty nifty. If the left door was open, the right one was closed and you could only operate the doors from the southern side, so it helped funnel the party into certain rooms before other areas.

I don't think the sand pit room or monkies were ever implemented. The monkies in the Snake Temple (England/Germany) just never made sense to me. Seemed to make a little more sense in the Shrine (Africa/Egypt) as the caretakers (or janitors, ha!)

I don't think the thieves made it into the game, either or all those riddles & puzzles like the slicing blades of "Only the Humble may pass"

I have some of these maps for the Caves as well, but I'm not sure where they are. Anyone interested in seeing some old town proto-types?

[This message has been edited by alz (edited 06-09-2001).]
alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 03:01 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

oooo Thanks for even more goodies, Alz!!!

Wyv

------------------
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 04:52 PM   #3
Ladybug
Dungeon Master

Yes, we want to see old town prototypes! And anything else you have for us.

Ladybug
Ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 05:18 PM   #4
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Those are very cool, Alz! Wow, it sounds like some really good ideas were left out. We suspected as much. . . Thanks for sharing those with us.
Mammawlin *feeling honored to be in alz presence*
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 05:23 PM   #5
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

By the way, alz, have you read the thread "Man, that Monkey can RUN" by Davros? I bet you would really get a kick out of it. I just love that thread. It always makes me laugh. I'll bump it up for you. Please read it and let us know what you think.

Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 06:20 PM   #6
BLKCat
The Magister

Thanks for sharing this with us! Very, very cool! Shades of Indiana Jones in some areas.... (Only the humble man may pass = Only the penitent man may pass) Love those movies! I am sorry more of the secret doors didn't make it into the final release. I have always gotten a kick out of discovering them!

BLKCat

------------------
...Events are cowards: they don't occur singly, but instead they run in packs and leap out at you all at once.
(Excerpt from "Neverwhere", by Neil Gaiman)
BLKCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 06:23 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I should put all the great links Alz has given us into one thread - hope I remember to do that!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 06:30 PM   #8
BLKCat
The Magister

THAT would be great Wyvern! I will look forward to it and thank you!

BLKCat

------------------
...Events are cowards: they don't occur singly, but instead they run in packs and leap out at you all at once.
(Excerpt from "Neverwhere", by Neil Gaiman)
BLKCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 07:12 PM   #9
Tananda
Elminster

Thank you so much, Alz, for sharing it!
That "Only the Humble may pass" kind of puzzles is logical, interesting, elegant and enigmatic. Such puzzles make the gamer feel proud to figure out the right answer being at the same time completely logical.
My favorite puzzle in the game is of the same kind - it's that "Beam of light" puzzle in the Shrine.
And, Alz, of course we are interesting in all the information about this game Thank you once again!

Wyv, wonderful idea! It would be so nice of you. Thank you in advance

Tanda, with millions of thanks
Tananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 09:46 PM   #10
alz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

haha,
That durn monkey! Every game needs a monkey. Anyone see the monkey in No One Lives Forever?

Glad I dusted off the old dev'notes. You can see how at the time, HP was really churning out the ideas. W&W was an okay game, but S&S would have been an awe-inspiring game! All W&W needed *(outside of techincal bug fixing) was another few months to put in all the little things, like riddles and town NPCs. I should dig up some of the suggestions I made before I left HP (wonder if I already did that here?).

Here's a couple more baubles:

http://darkslayers.com/deep6/thumbs/Townhub-ALPHA.avi
http://darkslayers.com/deep6/thumbs/Townhub-BETA.avi

Not sure what video codec these guys are using. I could convert them over into something more common, if they don't work -- but I don't have my video programs handy.

Something about that swamp and all those buildings tucked back into the corners that makes me prefer the BETA town over the 2nd Town in the official game. This BETA town was our default town for quite awhile. We played with the idea of putting these buildings in the actual world, but there was some funky graphics issues at the time that prevented us from doing that.

I made a house for Gareth to put out in the wilderness, but that didn't make it into the game either.

I played with the idea of adding a "Petrified" skin for the player characters when they were stoned. Since the PCs were removed from the 3D World, I'm glad I didn't burn time doing it.

http://darkslayers.com/deep6/thumbs/petrified-test.jpg

[This message has been edited by alz (edited 06-09-2001).]
alz is offline   Reply With Quote