Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
Marathon
Elminster

I've been through NWN and SOU a couple of time each, but never really got into HOTU - I think I got a little burned out. Thought I'd give it a spin over the weekend. I've never run a cleric before, and wanted to do a Cleric / COT. Main question - I like using two handed weapons, and for purely role playing reasons would like to have my character wield a two handed mace (preferred) or warhammer. I don't remember ever coming across anything like that, but I've never used blunt weapons before. Am I in luck or not?

Second question for those that have played clerics - what level do I need to take my character in to get the spells you tend to use most, or at least a good offensive spell or two? I'm not looking for a PVP type character or to maximize potential, just being able to have at least access to what are considered the most useful higher level spells.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 03:00 AM   #2
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Cleric's are pretty serious tanks (with spell enhancement).

several heavy maces available (and what I'd suggest given your preference).

several warhammers available.

two handed maces are "dire maces" and they suck.

Remember you have 2 domains to choose from (I'd select Magic and a domain that turns outsiders - Good or Evil).

Spells:

Harm is the best. (and if you need to kill a dragon this is the one.)

Heal can be done via potions..

Planar Ally (for Good characters only) is VERY good.

Searing Light for constructs

Area effect spells:

Hammer of the Gods is nice as is Ice Storm (if you have Magic as a domain).
Then there is Flame Strike, Circle of Doom, Earhquake, Firestorm, Sunbeam, Implosion, and Storm of Vengance (which has great visuals).

The problem in HOTU is savings throws (and spell resistance to some extent). So its not just a matter of having enough levels for spells - you also need to have enough levels to overcome your opponents savings throws.

Note however that 19 levels of cleric is plenty, and most spells will work most of the time.

by the end of the game you should be able to reach 27 character levels if you start at level 15. I'd start the game at level 14-15 (15 is the default).

[ 07-17-2004, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:10 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Nothing I can add to that expert advice.

I am starting out as a Cleric for the first time, dubbing as a fighter, and I am using her in the Undermountain game from Ziroc. She is 7 levels of Cleric and four of fighter, and right now she is pretty weak...but I do have a great mace that helps keep me alive. I will be specializing in the Mace, with a ranged weapon being bullets/sling.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
Marathon
Elminster

Thanks for the advice. Planar Ally ROCKS so far. He knocks everything down and frees me up to unleash spells. So far Hammer of the Gods has worked wonderfully on everything I've cast it on, and Harm was a livesaver...

The versatility of a cleric has made this the most fun character I've run so far.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
Djinn Raffo
Ra

If you get in close combat another great combo of spells to use is Battletide and Divine Power.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:25 PM   #6
Marathon
Elminster

I'm getting punished in the first big fight - 3rd level down from Waterdeep in the room with the ballistas. I've died 4 times without coming close - mainly due to spellcasters I think. If I can see them I can use destruction, but I can't seem to find them. Anyone know how many are in there? I know I'll have to use true seeing of some sort, and I'll need to get battletide ready for wading into the fray. Anything else you might suggest?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #7
Marathon
Elminster

Never mind - next time I reloaded I gave it another try without changing spells and won pretty easily. The first few times through I kept getting hit by one of the ballistas for as much as 100 damage. The last time they didn't even notice me - I had to go mop them up after killing everything else. Word of Faith came through for me - I didn't realize it sent all summons away which was a pretty big deal in that battle. And I had another heal spell I didn't know about. I have it in my quickbar, but level 5 and 6 heal spells don't stack together. I used it on Tomi and he pretty much went to town on the group of Dwarven clerics. This is much more challenging and fun than my typical Paladin or fighter type character.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:54 PM   #8
Kruspe

the best weapon for cleric is composite long bow.
get the feat : zen archery in lvl 5, it uses your wisdom atribute as dice rolls instead of dexterity

clerics shal use ranged weapons, thats the way the pro clerics go!