Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

I haven't actually played the official campaign any more than through the first chapter. And that was 2 years ago! I have a bunch of questions, so I'll write them down.

1. Has the campaign changed since the first release(by any patches or either of the expansions)?

2. Which do you think is better, in general - the original campaign or the SoU campaign?

3. I'm planning to play HOTU after this. What level are you usually in when finishing this campaign? Higher or lower than when finishing SOU?

4. Which class should I play with - Sorcerer, Wizard, Cleric or Druid? Difficulty and class specific quests are the judging factors.

5. Can I take the expansion feats/prestige classes when playing this?

6. Are there any downloadable haks or AI enhancements that could enhance the gameplay?

Thank you! [img]smile.gif[/img]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

1) No it hasn't significantly. There might be minor changes to AI and spells but these would be accidental.
2) SoU, definately.
3) You're in your Epics then, about 25-30 most likely. Much higher than level 10-15 you end up with in SoU.
4) Cleric is easiest, Wizard and Sorcerer get to play around with a golem, other than that it hardly matters any.
5) Yes you can. With HotU and SoU you can even use the prestige classes, feats and spells in the OC.
6) Sure there are, see www.nwvault.com for the most widely used ones.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Level 25-30!? But the original NWN was capped at 20! Did people go through the last chapter with the max level then?

Do the druids get any class special treats?

As spoillessly as possible, why did you like SOU more? I heard it's a llot shorter.

Thanks for answering! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-28-2004, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: uss ]
Old 08-28-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

HotU starts you off at level 12-15. It's more or less made to take your SoU character into the epic levels HotU adds.

I don't think druids get many treats other than that they'll be able to take the Shifter prestige class.

And as spoillessly as possible, I think SoU is better than the OC because the quality is much higher. It's still a linear storyline, but involves many more skill and ability checks and dialogue options, offers different paths to various classes and alignments, includes proper cut-scenes and the scripting's far better too. The main reason it is shorter than the OC is that such a campaign takes much more effort to construct.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:35 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:

1. Has the campaign changed since the first release(by any patches or either of the expansions)? No changes to the original game have been made that I am aware of.

2. Which do you think is better, in general - the original campaign or the SoU campaign?I personally liked playing the SoU more, just because it was more fun in the way that I preferred.

3. I'm planning to play HOTU after this. What level are you usually in when finishing this campaign? Higher or lower than when finishing SOU?

You will level very well in HotU. Generally, one starts at about 15, and ends at like 30, depending on your class and stuff.

4. Which class should I play with - Sorcerer, Wizard, Cleric or Druid? Difficulty and class specific quests are the judging factors.

I have only been through it with a fighter. I cannot offer advice on the above-mentioned choices, but my "opinion" is with the Wizard or Druid. They would be my choices.

5. Can I take the expansion feats/prestige classes when playing this?

Yep.

6. Are there any downloadable haks or AI enhancements that could enhance the gameplay?

Unknown. I played with what I already had, and did not even care to go looking for enhancements from third parties. I have only used third party enhancements on Ziroc's Undermountain game.

Thank you! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2004, 10:38 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey,..I just discovered a Forum bug. When I posted what I did just now at 10:30PM, there were no responses on this forum...but now I see that there were a few before me, earlier this day! Woah! Ziroc!
Old 08-30-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
uss
20th Level Warrior

Thanks to ye both for answering!

Despite the warning, I started playing the original OC because I haven't played it and also because I want to know why Aribeth's so popular, no? [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]

SPOILER(nothing important, just some minor ranting)
-

-

-

The Shadows of Undrentide didn't really strike to me as that good. Well, the first chapter was pretty good with the skill checks and all but the way I remember it, the second chapter was almost completely just a dungeon crawler(except for one nice alignment checking encounter with an und.. you know what I mean).

The OC has actually been pretty fun so far, but that's partially because I'm playing a solo Druid with the Hardcore Difficulty(using my big bad dire wolf only when necessary.. very fun ). There have been two annoying details, however.

1. The lives of the house guys are indifferent. The zoo quest Druid more-or-less said "Too bad, but maybe they had their chance in life and blew it" but I don't buy that - However 'vicious' they were(like it says in the description), they were most probably Lawful Neutral, as long as they were GUARDING and the PC is the trespasser in all of the incidents! Don't get me wrong, I'm going to barge into all of the houses one way or the other, I just don't like that that was handled in the wrong way.

2. Another thing, which is something what really irritates me, is that why in the bloody hells are there boxes and chests on every corner of the city!? Am I supposed to loot them all? Are Paladin PCs supposed to loot them? I mostly just ignore them because not only is it annoying(each city district has 20-50 of them!) but it is also extremely unrealistic and doesn't make me feel like I've earned what I find from them. Removing all these boxes and making the enemies have such treasure in posession would of made the the campaign better.

Oh well, I'm still at the beginning of the game(1 waterdhavian found, 3 to go), so there's probably going to be more annoying details, but it isn't too bad. I'll probably finish the campaign(this campaign being fit for a Druid and having the Fate of Neverwinter and Aribeth's Revival modules ahead of me are good motivations).