Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #21
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Cats are smarter, but dogs are more loveable. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Go dogs!
Old 07-21-2003, 05:34 PM   #22
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Pffh... Cats just come for food then run off for days.
I'm sorry, that is so much rubbish! Cats are every bit as affectionate and people-centric as dogs are - IF you keep them around with you. If you keep your cat outside of course it's going to go off exploring and entertaining itself; no fences can keep it in, and you're not outside all the time to keep it company. A dog is usually either in the house or in a fenced yard near its owners. My indoor cat is always following me around, getting on my lap and settling down for a nap next to me.

I don't really understand basing an animal's intelligence on its ability to do tricks. Why should our pets have to perform for us anyway? They're there to love and be companions, not entertain us with their repetoire of skills. My little cat keeps me endlessly amused anyway with the spontaneously funny things she does, plus *sniff* I like to watch her sleep [img]graemlins/lovestory2.gif[/img] . How long does watching your dog play dead keep you occupied for?

Ziroc, I just love reading your stories about Choc! It is so lovely to hear about someone who truly and totally adores their pet. I get so sad and disillusioned reading the classifieds every weekend and seeing the pages and pages of pet giveaways because people are 'moving interstate' (yeah those state-based quarantines are a killer! ) or '11 year old cat doesn't get on with new puppy' ads. People are disgusting. LOL Tuppence doesn't go outside either except for a few minutes a day completely supervised, so I'm as paranoid about her getting out as you are, even though she's not blind. Once we found she was missing and found her out sitting looking in the garden all quiet and good; turned out she'd been there for 40 minutes! Fortunately she's a real scaredy cat so hasn't got the courage to jump the fence or climb a tree
Old 07-21-2003, 06:54 PM   #23
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I have to agree with the people that said dogs and cats have equal intelligence. Then again, you do get "dumb" dogs, and I've yet to find a dumb cat. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Both animals fascinate me, and as they are completely different species you can't really say which is smarter. Both are smart in their own way. Its usually depends on your preferance of animal. People who like cats will most likely say they're smarter, while dog lovers will say the same thing about their pets.

Also, you do get individuals. Some dogs are smarter than others, while some cats are quicker at learning than others. Its all individuality.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:09 PM   #24
Atrayu
The Magister

I have had the great experience of owning, not together, both a wonderful cat and dog. Smarter I would have to say cat and guess what - not that LOYAL HeH ! Back Choc! Loyalty makes up for the rest- Dogs win.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:00 PM   #25
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Originally posted by cazzie:
imo dogs r smarter only cuz cats can't b taught tricks but dogs can [img]smile.gif[/img] ...dogs r smart enough so they don't have to lick themselves they have human servants who clean them instead.
Dogs are dirty and cat's don't eat their own shit. ANY animal that eats it's own poop is stupid, and it's totally gross! [img]smile.gif[/img]

And dogs drag their ass on the carpet. yuk!
[/QUOTE]*snort!* my fatcat drags her ass along the carpet too, glad I have my Hand Held Dirt Devil for those skidmark moments!

But, on topic, I think both cats and dogs are smart, but in different ways. Dogs are smart in a more instictive way, they are aware of their environment with their exceptional hearing and sense of smell. They are all over everything, want to explore everything as well head-on, so inquisitive, so happy and innocent, and wanting to hunt!

Cats are smart because they are good at mind games LOL, they take time to value human's emotions and situations, and use them to their advantage or amusement LOL. They are also more cautious, don't tend to run head-long into a place that they are not familiar with, calculating so to speak. But they do also like to hunt!

So the hunt factor they both have in common I guess, same for the butt skidding LOL!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #26
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Cats are superior when it comes to intelligence, if you let a dog loose in the street it will go bounding after a car, if you let a cat loose in the street it will run for the house and then find a way in on its own [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2003, 10:18 PM   #27
IronDragon
Elminster

Cats….just ask one of them and he or she will tell you so.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:35 AM   #28
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

A good case of "intellegence" or more likely instincs is that:

if you live dog alone he will probably die becuase it is the dog who is not able to live alone. He is to dependant on us.

Cat is tottlaly another thing. Cat is a hunter.Skilled hunter.
Live cat alone and he/she will have no problem with the meaning of survival.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:12 PM   #29
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

ROTFL! My cats would assure you that it doesn't matter what we humans think, they'll take over the known universe anyway! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:15 PM   #30
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
ROTFL! My cats would assure you that it doesn't matter what we humans think, they'll take over the known universe anyway! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
My cats have made it clear to us long ago that they only allow us to live in THEIR apartment because we know how to open the cans of food. I'm sure that if they figure that out, we'll come home to changed locks.