Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 10:22 AM   #11
Dang
The Magister

Oops! Sorry about the miscredit, Radek. I have noticed I tend to get you and bsftcs confused solely because you are both Quintessons.
Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:51 AM   #12
Dang
The Magister

Hey, I have another question. Is it possible to get back into Signeur Pastolio's room. It looks like there is a passage leading back there but it is blocked ala the Bronze Dragon passage, except wearing Dragon Plate doesn't help.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:43 AM   #13
bsftcs
Red Dragon

It is not a secret barrier that is blocking you, it is because the tunnel is too narrow. Use your smallest character and wriggle through - then you should be able to get to his door. However it cannot open. Also you should be prepared to teleport back since one cannot always get back out of the tunnel even if one could get in.

Pastollio is one of the few people in the game that cannot be killed. He does not even get angry if one casts harmful spells against him.

I have tried using the usual teleportation trick on the room. (Cast portal on a roach or a rat or whatever is crawling in a room that one cannot reach, kill the creature if it still remains in the portal spot, and then teleport to the spot - that is a good way of entering barred rooms). But since Pastollio cannot be killed he can never be removed from the teleportation spot. Furthermore there are never any roaches or rats in his room. And I have also tried to summon a creature on him in order to create the portal on the creature and then kill it. That does not work either.

So basically: Pastollio's room is inaccessible.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:25 AM   #14
Dang
The Magister

Hmmm...I thought I remembered fireballing him to death through the grate and him dropping a key, which I could not get. Well, I probably got confused what with all the people I was unjustly killing in that evil game. Maybe I should make a trip back with Lord Cet and Co. to see if Pastolio is still there.

A problem I'm coming up on is that so far I have one saved game for each party that has completed the game. Soon there won't be enough slots. I don't know why I'm holdin on to them, though; the only idea I have is to reset adventures and see how fast I can complete only the necessary quests to finish the game.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:29 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've run into that same problem, Dang [img]smile.gif[/img] Sooner or later, you run out of slots...

You might back up your savegame directory and roster.dat files and create new ones. That would let you start all over from scratch [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hmmm... toasting senior pastor oleo... methinks that might prevent you from entering (or exiting!) the stout mines... but I've never tried it
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:38 PM   #16
aleph_null

Make a copy your "save" folder, Dang -- I've got LOTS of savegames, dating back several years. Just make sure never to copy over something you've not backed up.

BTW, my record from "Something has happened... Something EVIL" to Cet's death, with a new, solo character, and no gold cheating/enchanted weapons/gear from previous games/&tc is 2 hours 45 minutes. The guy sucked and barely made it, but it was cool

P.S. I obviously never talked to Sabastio, or you'd have to add another half hour to that time...
Old 06-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #17
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Trust me - Pastollio is untouchable.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:13 PM   #18
Dang
The Magister

Yeah, I must have been dreaming. Not surprising, since I have at least one dream a night that is somehow W&W related. Hmm, maybe it's a case of, "Yeah, sure Freyedies is the token King of the Stouts, but who do you think is the REAL power behind the throne? Inaccessible, invincible, and with the power to allow or deny entry to the Mines..."

Couple of funny stories about the great Stout Mine Massacre: I highly suspected that if I killed Freyedies before getting him to make the Dragon Armor, I would conveniently find one in his chamber, but, coward that I am, I went ahead and got the 2 ore-forged Dragon Armors. Sure enough, there was (more than one, I think) Dragon Armor in the King's Chamber. The funny thing was that I was playing that party with only "class-appropriate" arms and armor--Ninja only wore ninja outfit, Assassin ditto, Samurai wore Samurai armor--only the Barbarian wore Dragon Plate. Oh, well, lots more $$

The second thing was that I got Krakoendon, but the only guy with mace skill was now a Monk. Still, I decided to keep Krakoendon and have him fight with it occassionally. Difficult, because he seemed to default to kung fu, as K goes in the 2nd weapon slot. Anyway, one fight I accidentally had Father Hands attack something that was out of range, and he threw Krakoendon ... after a few moments it came back and he caught it. So I made occasional use of flying hammer attacks until I was in the Boogre Caves, fighting the plants guarding the Aku idol chamber. I threw K and it didn't come back ... and I couldn't find it after the battle. "You had a priceless Dwarve--I mean Stout heirloom, handed down from generation to generation, and you threw it away?!?" ops:

I have already made a back up of my save game folder, back when I wasn't sure exactly how the inn roster worked. It turned out to work how I thought, but I didn't want to take any chances as I was going to erase some of my beloved first party characters to make room for new blood and I have been burned before (see my profile, and my reason for joining IW).

I am really enjoying the solo game. In a lot of ways W&W seems designed to be a solo game. It certainly makes me a lot pickier about what loot I take up. [img]smile.gif[/img] On the other hand, some fights are a lot easier (I whacked Xydusa in about half the clicks it takes with a party of 6), some quests are a lot easier to fulfill (getting Serpin coins for 4 Thieves guilders, and having enough to open the coin-slot doors, can take a lot of dead Serpent cultists), you don't have to decide who should get that special ability, and you can pretty much strip-mine classes. (Avatar was a L1 Samurai with only the Burn spell before he killed any of the salads outside Shurugeon; having fought only some Swamp Mucks before he faced the salads, he leveled up fast enough to kill the last two with burning haze.) I keep thinking (hoping) I am going to run out of ways to make this game interesting, but so far, nope. Right now I'm thinking up various "theme parties" that I will probably put together and then abandon.

Edit: Whoa, I'm a Magister!

[ 06-30-2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Dang ]
Old 06-30-2004, 11:33 PM   #19
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It really is fun to play solo [img]smile.gif[/img] About the only knock on a solo game is that you get six times the XP, so you level up six times faster. But aside from that... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Don't forget my favorite salad-cooking spell -- flame drop As effective as haze or burn, but it keeps on giving... and giving... and giving... It's also very useful on the walking funguses later on

What kind of theme parties are you thinking of? I believe someone started an LOTR party... what others come to mind?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #20
Dang
The Magister

Oh, actually flamedrop was the doom of the first 2 salads...well, flame drop and a few short stabs from Shinwiki's spear (incidentally, I was never able to hit monsters from horseback before I used the spear ... another realistic detail). BTW, I have used Shinwiki's spear from the time I got it--I NEVER used it before. It is pretty good, and fast.

I seem to remember that LOTR party, I was reading about it not too long ago, but I think whoever started it had a hard drive crash. I don't really want to do LOTR, partly because I already did one in W8 (in IronMan, and they died in a big battle toward the end, but because of my fear of having saved games inadvertently wiped out, I have them saved way back in their careers, but I'm pretty wiped out with W8, so I don't think I'll go back to it).

Some of the parties I have been thinking of:

Vanilla Party: One Warrior, one Wizard, One Rogue and One Priest. No advancing to better classes. The main problem I see with this is that it would probably be pretty boring, but I think it might be interesting to try winning with the base classes.

D&D: the cartoon, that is. I think I'd need to use an editor to pull this one off. In case you don't remember, the main characters are:

1) Hank, Ranger, magic bow that shoots fire arrows that can take different shapes.

2) Diana, Acrobat, staff, or javelin, does crazy gymnastics

3) Eric, Cavalier, has a magic shield

4) Sheila, Thief, cloak of invisibility & never seems to steal anything

5) Bobby, Barbarian, club that causes minor earthquakes

6) Presto, Magician, magic hat that he can create just about anything from.

This theme party is pretty impossible, also they shouldn't kill anything, so they wouldn't get much xp, but I thinking about trying to start it and see where it goes from there.

The last one I've seriously been thinking about is a campaign where I have 15 characters (that's the max allowable in the inn, I think) all going on adventures, some being on vacation and not available. The main problem I see with this is that if I want any of them to have good guild standing I have to have all of them sign up for a quest, and then pick the ones to go on the quest. That's a lot of signing in and out of the party, and surely some will fall behind in xp and guild rankings. Long after stopping DMing D&D type games, I have worked on a gaming world where there would be a lot of characters, and some would be necessary for certain adventures, whereas at other times they might not be needed and would stay in town, which is kind of why I want to do the 15-adventurer team theme.