Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2002, 11:21 PM   #1
Darkon Blackblood
The Magister

1) What weapons should i specialize in
2) What starting feats should i take
3) What race should i be
4) What henchman should i use
5) What level should i start taking Rouge levels at (I'm starting a ranger and want to get to 14/6)

Thanx in advance
Old 08-17-2002, 07:12 AM   #2
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkon Blackblood:
1) What weapons should i specialize in
2) What starting feats should i take
3) What race should i be
4) What henchman should i use
5) What level should i start taking Rouge levels at (I'm starting a ranger and want to get to 14/6)

Thanx in advance
1) Depends on your gamestyle. I would recommend either longsword or short sword though, but that's my preference. If you choose elf to start off, you get proficiency with Longsword as a default. Then you can pick something else as a backup.

2) Starting feats? Well, again, this all depends on your style of gaming. Definitely would recommend Toughness as this will help hps. Weapon Focus when you can get it. Point Blank Shot comes in real handy in case you use Ranged weapons and you get stuck up close and personal. Knockdown is good too. Dodge helps (take 1/2 damage on some traps and stuff, or take no damage - works in combat too). Called shot is kinda cool but I didn't take it first time through. I would suggest Knockdown though to start, cause you can get improved knockdown (I have seen a character "knock down" a dragon - kinda funny). If you plan to multi-play, disarm is a really good feat too. There's nothing like fighting someone and knocking their weapon out of their hand. LOL. Then they have to fight with their fists. Mainly it goes by your style of gaming as to what would work best for you. You have to balance what you choose with what items you carry as well as how you engage the enemy.

3) Race? Hmmmm. Well, I chose human and have been pretty satisfied with that. However, if you choose elf, they are kinda pre-disposed to being a thief. Only problem is that favored class thing. If you are more than 2 levels apart, you might get xp penalties. Not sure. Like I said, I played human. They get all classes as their favored class right off the git go. They also get more skill points to divy out. Elves do have racial benefits though. They have higher magic resist, can see in the dark (infravision), and are immune to sleep/charm. They also have Keen sense (really helping out with thieving) and have benefits against mind affecting spells, They also gain benefits to listen, search, and spot (thieving skills mainly, but help any class), plus start off with weapon proficiency - longsword, rapier, long-bow, & short bow. Main prob with elf is you lose 2 Con on character creation, but you do get 2 Dex (helps with AC)

4) If you choose to go Ranger first, select either Tomi or Daelan the Red Tiger. Tomi is a good thief and can open most chests without too much problem. Daelan can "bash" through most of them too. Daelan lasts longer in a fight though as he is a fighter. If you choose Tomi, you will be making more trips back to get him after he dies. If you go Rogue, the clear choice is Daelan. That makes a good combination.

5) You can choose either Ranger or Thief first, however, by selecting Rogue first, you have more skill points to throw around. Most of these you should pump into thieving abilities, but you can sacrifice some stuff to buff up Ranger. For example, Rangers get Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, so you could pump them into something else (I selected most into pick locks, but disarm or set would really help too). In other words, try to pump into areas that don't overlap as this will give your character more skills with less cost (try not to put skills into non-class sections unless you want to "throw away" points - unless you really gotta have that skill) I would highly suggest you take Use Magic Device when you can get it though. Gives you more variety as you can use magic user scrolls or even some magic items. As you gain levels or pump more points into that skill, you will have access to higher level spells (scrolls) or items.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you might want to plan this into your equation, but Rangers get companions at 6th level. This will add to your party strength as well as providing a diversion to ALL the enemy targeting you. Don't get attached to him/her though cause more than likely they will bite the bullet. After you rest though, you can summon them again. Plus, when you get spells, you can get Monster Summon I which will add another character to your party. (Really low-level, but again, helps as a diversion against enemy). Then you may get Monster Summon II later at higher level (slightly higher level animal that comes in, but nothing spectacular). I think MS I => Badger & MS II => Boar.

[ 08-17-2002, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]