Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2002, 12:48 PM   #1
Vassago
Manshoon

I haven't thought thru all of the feats yet. I just listed ones that I definitely want the character to have. My Barbarian/Fighter will start out w/ Barbarian then take 4 levels of Fighter and then the rest will be Barbarian. My Rogue/Ranger, will start out as Rogue and then take one level of Ranger and the rest Rogue. Since Rogues receive a shield penality when using skills, I decided to make him a dual-wielding w/ a combination of short swords and daggers based on what I find throughout my journey.

Male Human Barbarian X/Fighter 4 Neutral Good
18/18/16/8/10/6
Skills: Intimidate & Move Silently
Feats: Heroic Inspiration, Martial Weapon: Axe
Weapons: Axe

Female Half-Elf Monk (The Old Order) Lawfully Neutral
14/18/14/6/18/6
Skills: Hide & Move Silently
Feats: Dodge
Weapons: Darts

Vassago Strongheart Halfling Male Rogue X/Ranger 1 Neutral Evil
12/20/14/18/6/6
Skills: Disable Device, Pick Pockets, Hide, Search
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Rapid Shot
Weapons: Small sword, Dagger, Short Bow

Female Aasimar Druid True Neutral
13/13/18/10/20/8
Skills: Concentration & Wilderness Lore
Feats: (don't know yet)
Weapons: Sling

Nexus Aasimar Male Sorceror Lawful Good
12/14/18/10/6/20
Skills: Diplomacy, Concentration & Bluff
Feats: (don't know yet)
Weapons: Crossbow

*Changed Barbarian's stats, moved 2 Int & 2 Cha to Wis.
*Accidently switched Monk's Int & Wis. Should be Int 6, Wis 18.
*Accidently switched Sorceror's Int & Wis. Should be Int 10, Wis 6.
*Dropped 2 off str & dex from Druid and added to int & cha.

[ 10-28-2002, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Vassago ]
Old 10-25-2002, 01:03 PM   #2
Festus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would suggest being careful with reducing your WIS scores. Fighters and Barbarians have quite low saving throws in some areas, and having a negative WIS modifier can be quite dangerous. The Barabarian in my first party used to get charmed, confused, or dominated at the drop of a hat.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

Fighters and barbarians' will saving are always poor, so don't count on them to have high saving.

You monk's int is pretty high. I will add them to wisdom and str.
For wisdom, you get ac bounus and it's good for the stunning fist and the quiver palm, making them hard to save vs.
For str, you get higher damage and higher precision.

Your rogue's int is also a bit too high. I will get 14 int to have more skill points and get the feat expertise. I also have a rogue developed similarly as yours. I found he is not very powerful at the end part of the game.
So you may consider give him some levels as a fighter instead of one level as a ranger after you grab enough special feats of rogues'. As a fighter, you grab more feats so that you still can fighter with two weapons.

Less dex for your druid for he/she is using devine spells. You can let them wear good armors. Add more to str and ...charm. You don't want to be too ugly even to scared the animals, do you? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hmmmmmm, your sorceror is a charming one. Good, but a little more int please. Getting 10 spellcraft give you the access to a lot of useful feats, and you maybe want more skill points, I am wondering. Since the race is Aasimar, a level of paladin will do you good.

These are just references. Maybe you like my friend's way. He likes to build a group not so perfect, but he enjoys playing it a lot.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:18 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, 10 spellcraft opens up the feats that allow for 20% more damage from a particular type (fire, acid, cold, electrical). You'll also want to think about spell focus feats, which make it harder for enemies to save against your spells.

Also, who's gonna pick locks? I don't see that skill on your list. It's more important that picking pockets.

If you keep fighter wisdom low, at least take the iron will feat to help them a bit in that area.

And don't forget subvocal casting for your mages. It really works when they fail to save against silence.

Nightowl
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:09 PM   #5
Gheital
Dungeon Master

What it would help if I'd give my Aasimar druid 1 paladin level? What benefits I would get?
Old 10-25-2002, 09:48 PM   #6
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

You will get high saving because of your high charm.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:42 AM   #7
Vassago
Manshoon

Made the following changes:

*Accidently switched Monk's Int & Wis. Should be Int 6, Wis 18.
*Accidently switched Sorceror's Int & Wis. Should be Int 10, Wis 6.
*Dropped 2 off str & dex from Druid and added to int & cha.

Also, I found out that my Rogue cannot take Weapon Finesse until he reaches Rogue level 2 b/c of BAB. My Rogue also dropped some points into pick lock. Seems w/ the high int, I have numerous skills points to distrubite for him. I'll consider the Fighter levels instead of the Ranger mix w/ my Rogue. I wouldn't mind the additional hit points if I decided to go w/ 4 levels of fighter and the rest rogue.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:56 AM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

* Keep your leader CHA high, but you can reduce other character's Charisma. For ex, I have a 8 CHA Wizard, 6 CHA Dwarf Fighter [img]smile.gif[/img]

*Take only 10 levels of rogue. That's enough. After 10 levels you'll be able to take super rogue feats. The rest of levels can be ranger/fighter. So your rogue will be also a good tank. Take improved evasion and slippery mind. Forget about the rest. Hamstring, cripling strike they are all useless. (only Arterial Strike "may" be useful if used correctly, IMO it's not necessary too)

*AVOID ECL Classes EXCEPT Aasmir Paladins. 2 levels penalty means lesser HP, lesser BAB, lesser save bonus, lesser feats, lesser spells. specially for spell casters, AVOID!

*Keep all wisdom scores minumum at 10. WIS saves are important. I like 12 WIS for fighters.

Good Luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 10:07 AM   #9
Magness
Quintesson

It definitely a case of personal preference. But I prefer the Ranger/Rogue MC over the Fighter/Rogue MC.

Why?

1. Rangers wearing light or no armor get ambidex and dual weilding free. Rogues will always be wearing light or no armor, so this is a good match. Rangers wearing light armor will require a high DEX stat to get the most out of that leather armor and the best AC possible. Ya know what? Same is true for a rogue! Perfect sinergy.

2. Rangers can take the Hide, Move Silently, and Search skills for 1 skill point. A perfect compliment for a rogue mix. When taking a ranger level, take a mix of these skills. When taking a rogue level, take the theiving skills (i.e. open locks, disable device). Also consider taking a some points in wilderness lore when taking a ranger level.

The skills available if upleveling as Fighter for a Fighter/Rogue mix are more limiting. However, even a 50/50 ranger/rogue mix can still have a solid skill scores in the stealthy and theiving skills.

3. Are the extra feats that fighter levels (instead of ranger levels) worth a fighter/rogue over a ranger/rogue? Matter of personal opinion. What's more valuable to you, the extra ranger stealthy skill points or the extra fighter feat points? IMHO, the extra skill points from a ranger/rogue allow you to build fully functional rogue that you wouldn't get from a fighter/rogue. Of course, some of it depends on the ratio of the mix. If you take 10 levels of rogue before taking any fighter levels, you'll be OK with your skills. Except that during all that time of getting to level 10, you were a pure rogue. A 50/50 rgr/rogue (with a good INT) can probably maintain the same level of skills and gain the improved fighting skills that those ranger levels bring.

I'm playing a 50/50 ranger/rogue in my current 4 person party. To this point, she's an awesome stealthy killer. I'm playing her as more of a moderately high STR tank, than a finesse rogue (played finesse rogues in my last 2 parties). Her only "weakness" in her stats is that I stuck her with only a 10 WIS, so she can only cast a single level 1 ranger spell. This doesn't bother me, cuz if I wanted to cast "ranger" spells, I'd have made her a druid. I wanted a higher STR, high DEX "tankable" fighting rogue for my party of 4 and something had to give.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 10:21 AM   #10
Magness
Quintesson

Vassago, just an observation...

Be careful about lowering WIS scores below 10 or 8. WIS influences your Will saving throw and having a WIS of 6 means a -2 to all Will savings throws. This affects every Enchantment type spell (charm, dire charm, hold, dominate, etc.).

Also be careful about taking too low an INT score. Low INT scores means fewer skill points. An INT of 6 for your monk will limit her ability to build up decent Hide and Move Silently skills. I find that a barbarian or barb/fighter can get away with a low INT. They don't rely on skills all that much.

Also, like someone else mentioned, an INT of 18 seems to be overkill for a rogue. I agree with Jellyfish. An INT of 14 is high enough for a nearly pure Roug eo build up awesome stealth and theiving skill totals. Throw those extra 4 points into WIS. But stick with a ranger/rogue MC! (see my previous post in this thread.)
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote