Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
ashsays
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay...Give: Race, Class, stats, and the laundry list of magic Items and weapons that make up your invincible Character.

[ 02-10-2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: ashsays ]
ashsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry, it only exists in our dreams.

A character might be the toast of the party in certain scenerios, but he can never be invincible throughout the game. The game is balanced that way.

If you look through the threads, you will notice that people usually talk about parties, but not single characters.

The game can be soloed, but through a lot of running away, hardly the epitome of "Invincible".
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:59 AM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Very small BG2 spoiler
Give him Imoen's ring
Old 02-11-2004, 05:18 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I think you meant Belt.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:46 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

ashsays,

If we tone down "invincible" to mean "best tank," and groundrule that we are not playing on HoF mode, but are doing HoW and TotLM with a party of six, then I defer to Dundee's judgement (found in other threads) that the Paladin is best, due to his high saving throws and natural resistances. You will definitely want to groom him for Pale Justice.

If you mean "best one-on-one death match" character out of which you could get resonable gameplay; I imagine that a "Battle Mage" could typically take out more or meaner beasts than the Pally (or take out the Pally, if you want to think of it in those terms). My build would be:

A dc Fighter[12]/Illusionist: DEX=STR=CON=INT=18, of course. For a defensively strong character, stack 5 PP in long sword or axe, and 3 PP in bow. Use a shield when not bow-hunting. For a more offensive build, do polearm or great sword instead of long sword. No shield. With all the protection granted with mage spells (see below), I think I would prefer the offensive build.

During the Illusionist phase, acquire Mirror Image, Improved invisibility, Blur, Stone Skin (can an Illusionist do Stone Skin?), and a nice collection of the offensive Evocation and defensive summoning spells.

Ever try to take down a blurred, mirrored, stoneskinned warrior ("battle mage") who is coming at you with the residual effects of improved invisibility, grand mastery in great sword, and Malavon's Rage and other goodies? I have a Bard with Blur, Mirror Image and Stoneskin, and I find that using just these three is overkill, except is the very, very toughest of battles; and typically only use one or two of the three. A full-fledged warrior with that kind of protection? Heh, heh, heh: I'll bet on the battle mage.

Fighter[13]/Illusionist would give the Fighter an extra 1/2 Attack per Round [ApR], but by the time you reach Illusionist[14] in a full party, and regain your Fighter skills, the game is almost over.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 02-24-2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:24 AM   #6
Midget Gems

Good thinking NobleNick. I solo'd with a Fighter/Illusionist and found it to be a very powerful class combination. Once you have all the defensive magic in place then the protection is very good. I recall that I defeated the four badge-holders in LDD without taking any damage - nice. In the end it's not always the physical attacks that are the problem, its those nasty spells that disable you that are the killers.