Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #71
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

if you already have the plague, may i suggest making the best of the bad situation? train a few spies quickly, infect them and then move them into enemy cities (that you don't plan to invade in the near future [img]smile.gif[/img] ).
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #72
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by frudi_x:
if you already have the plague, may i suggest making the best of the bad situation? train a few spies quickly, infect them and then move them into enemy cities (that you don't plan to invade in the near future [img]smile.gif[/img] ).
That is exactly what I plan on doing!

The Egyptians have sneak attacked me, and I dont have the resources near the front to take them head on, so they will get an army of plague-bearing spies in all their cities while my navy cripples their navy and destroys their sea trade. I will swoop in and take the Pyramids to make suing for peace easier if they gain an overall upperhand or wage a land assault closer to home.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:25 AM   #73
Sythe
Ra

ROME is MINE! In the year 145 BC. The senate went down quickly beneath my might. Now I am up against the scippi and Brutti. The Brutti are giving me the most trouble. I was an idiot not to bolster my defenses in my eastern territory. Forcing me to abandon my eastern settlements. But I will eventually band the forces together in counter attack. The scippi don't bother me too much. And somehow each Brutti army unit has like 400 or 500 men. All of high quality units. (Leigonares, Archer Auxillary but no Urban Cohorts thankfully.) I used dogs a lot early in the game but not often now since they are useless against heavy infantry. Whenever I use war dogs it makes me want to listen "WHO let the dogs out who who who who!?" [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

BTW do you have to entirely eliminate the other two roman factions to win the game?
Old 10-18-2004, 11:20 AM   #74
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

ROME!!! Is mine as well, it is 198BC I had a diplomat go in and bribe the senates huge army stationed next to Rome, I than used there own general and army to attack Rome. They put up a good fight I went in with 1000 men to there 300 I came out with about 400. It was pretty humiliating but I got the job done. I was an imbecile because I had taken the square and thought I had won so zoomed in to look at my troops and the next thing I knew the square was being attacked by several units of spearmen who I must have missed in the city, It was here and taking the walls that I lost most of my men.

So now I have to deal with the Scipii and Brutti and it has been going well. The Scippi are the smallest so I have been dealing with them first. The Brutti are tough so I am using assassins to take out the generals I can't bribe, and using diplomats to bribe who I can. Both fractions have only a few decent generals and a small family as I have been using my assassins to take out there family members as they come in play through out the game. I have some really good assassins.

[ 12-16-2004, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #75
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Wow! This game is extremely great! I'm now some 222 BC, and the cavalry units rule heavily. One of my Generals, the Faction Heir in fact, is leading an army composing of nothing but 1500 cavalry, be it Cavalry Auxilia, Light Cavalry or Roman Cavalry. Nothing stops a charge, and the battles tend to end with 1-20 losses(1500 against 3000 Gauls with some cavalry, Barbarians and Swordsmen, and I lost 5 units). O geee, I'm so enthralled, I just have to go back and play!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:10 PM   #76
Sythe
Ra

Yes calvary is amazing indeed. I once had three units of infantry and the res were roman calvary. My calvary cut through the Brutti like a hot knife through butter. And now I am doing an amazing counter attack. I conquered all of Italy and now reclaiming my lands. And I never knew how useful diplomats can be. Bribing captains is great but also cheap and if you do it too much, your economy would be in recession. (Which I learned in Medieval Total War by hiring too many mercenaries at once. ) With a number of years the Brutti shall be weak. After that I head to North Africa and combat the Scippi. And start an alliance with the egyptians. And repair my relations with the Greeks. Man I LOVE this game.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:18 PM   #77
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Nothing stops a charge, and the battles tend to end with 1-20 losses(1500 against 3000 Gauls with some cavalry, Barbarians and Swordsmen, and I lost 5 units).
[img]redface.gif[/img] Try it again in custom battles, and if you can get the 1-20 losses with 1500 cavalry against 3000 Gauls, save it and post it somewhere. No offense, but I know that Calvalry are good, but they aren't that good. =/
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:28 PM   #78
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Then obviously you haven't had command of the Praetorian cavalry. Gimme 200 of those, and i crush 5000 Britons.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #79
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Then obviously you haven't had command of the Praetorian cavalry. Gimme 200 of those, and i crush 5000 Britons.
Please post a replay (battlereports.com). I've had control of the best calvalry the Brutii have ever had, and even then, I never had a battle where I lost 1-20 units.

[ 10-20-2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:44 AM   #80
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Personally I like the sieges, usually lose more men in heavily fortified areas but they are fun to watch.

[ 10-21-2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote