Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 07:45 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The more I think about it the less I believe it, but something happened that scared the poop out of me last night!

I was in the MSN Zone last night playing Axis and Allies. In the lobby, I was having a disagreement with someone. During the course of our discussion, I noticed a guy (not involved in the conversation) who was posting a hyper link with a title similar to "C:\\\/". I finally decided to click on it, and when I did, it took me to MY Windows explorer directory tree. I have Zone Alarm, and it didn't register anything, but I immediately hardlocked my cable modem.

Is it possible to post a link to someone's machine like that? Did that link lead everyone to my computer, or is it more likely he posted a link which would take people to their own Windows directory? I didn't know how to read the hyper link code in there, so I don't know.

This really has me bugged, and concerned. Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2001, 09:23 AM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Any ideas at all? Is my computer at risk?
Old 12-06-2001, 09:28 AM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

I'm sorry Ronn, I wish I could help but I cannot give you any conclusive opinion, I just know too little about things like these.
If you have an updated version of Zonealarm installed, it seems very unlikely to me that someone has managed to get into your PC, but I can't explain the link you talked about. Possibly you are right and it will just link to the user's own drive, rather than to yours specifically. This certainly seems the most logical to me but I cannot reassure you as I just don't know.

What you could try, though it won't tell you much, is to go to this site and test if your firewall is working ok:

Shields up!
Old 12-06-2001, 09:34 AM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ronn,

I'm no expert, but I think it may just lead to your own machine as the C: directory is the hard drive and anyone calling it should get his/her own C drive. Now, I can't say for sure that the person who did it wasn't somehow 'following' you back to your own machine via the msn connection, you'd need to ask one of our more techie types about that!

Cloudy
Old 12-06-2001, 09:54 AM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Thanks ladies! I'll try that firewall test site for sure.

Maybe Z or Memnoch can comment if they stop in?
Old 12-06-2001, 11:25 AM   #6
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Ronn, I am not sure but alot of strange things can happen. I loaded up a great firewall a week or so ago. Put the filter on medium and behold..nobody let me on their site. Illegal operations everywhere. The minute I re-adjusted my settings to low they came up fine.I will be watching here for answers myself... sorry I couldnt help.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:14 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I took your case to the Help desk here at work. My friend tells me that you were not hacked into, that the link took you into your own directory, probably to scare you into reacting the way you are right now. He is probably hoping that you would think that the guy you were fussing with had something to do with it, and so he was hoping to start a fight that he would enjoy watching. Zone Alarm would have prevented any trouble and this guy is probably very amature, and this is the only trick he knew.

I have had similar things happen to my PC, as the cursor was taken over by a ghost and moved around, clicking on this and that, opening windows, and locking me out of the system so that I had to do a hard reset. Eventually, I tracked down the exe. file that had programmed my own PC to appear that another had taken over.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:22 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I took your case to the Help desk here at work. My friend tells me that you were not hacked into, that the link took you into your own directory, probably to scare you into reacting the way you are right now. He is probably hoping that you would think that the guy you were fussing with had something to do with it, and so he was hoping to start a fight that he would enjoy watching. Zone Alarm would have prevented any trouble and this guy is probably very amature, and this is the only trick he knew

That's what I was thinking/hoping!

Whoever did it really flipped me out last night! Thanks for your help and thank the guys at the help desk for me, too.

If you see this C:\\\/ guy, kick him in the shin for me, ok? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]