Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2001, 09:43 PM   #11
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I personally think that W&W makes a great breath of fresh air for me in the BGII world. It won't replace my first love, but it is still something similar yet different enough to challenge me. I like the way the interface is handled in BG style games better, but this is equally as challenging. Much more choices when it comes to roles, and it doesn't really matter if one of your pcs get offed during the battle. As long as you have one char left to limp back to town ... I don't know how many times my Paladin got offed by a stray fireball or a lucky spell from wizard ... as Sazzy said, it is totally apples and oranges.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 10:04 PM   #12
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

'Sup guys, I'm back from my day-trip to San Antonio for the seminar!
My name got mentioned in this thread !!! Woo Hoo, y'all know how to make a guy feel at home....

OK, onthepequod, (BTW, I recognized yer name from Moby Dick BEFORE you explained it. Which finance board were you posting to with it? I seem to recognize it from TMF???) I need to echo Saz and the BK on this. Apples and Wintels... Both great games, but different. Same spirit, different tools.

I do disagree with Mr-Eiz (sorry, bud ) 'cause I think that BG/BGII are both less linear than W&W. IWD is very linear. Like Saz said, you have a lot of lee-way between the main quest, but you need to things in order for the main quest.

I AM LOVING W&W !!! Unlike BK, BG was not my first love. I've been GRPGing forever, and bought my first Apple IIGS JUST to play Ultima V !!! W&W reminds me of the dungeons in the Ultima games, and of Bard's Tale, Wizardry, and others...

BUT, D&D was my first love. THE RPG of the 80's, and BG/BGII are IE games based off the AD&D 2ed rules. For me, that made BG intuative. (did I spell that right? ) I never had to ask questions about the game, the way I do W&W. And that has made W&W a breath of fresh air.

In RPGs, I always tried to play as many systems as I could, and now mainly stick to using GURPS, and modify Paladium,ShadowRun, Storyteller and D20 games to fit...

Play 'em both, you'll LOVE them !!!

OT- Saz or BK !!! I glanced in from a public kiosk yesterday, early, but did not post (didn't want to log-in from that public of a box!) I just spent the last 2 hours reading the "bad" stuff that happened last night on GD. Any subjects taboo now over there? Stomped toes, or mashed feelings? Should I ignore it, or post my support? Thanks for the $0.02...

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-25-2001).]
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 10:45 PM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

IMO, RudeDawg, best to let it die down. The casualties were not bad. I fortunately was asleep during the bulk of it (during the REALLY bad parts; I do have a job, after all!) but I could tell it wasn't going to go well from the way the posts were flying.

You'd best find information from the posts on GD, since that was where the main "battle" was fought.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 10:49 PM   #14
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
IMO, RudeDawg, best to let it die down. The casualties were not bad. I fortunately was asleep during the bulk of it (during the REALLY bad parts; I do have a job, after all!) but I could tell it wasn't going to go well from the way the posts were flying.

You'd best find information from the posts on GD, since that was where the main "battle" was fought.

-Sazerac
That's why I asked here, i don't want to get them started again....
Khool, I won't post a thing...

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 10:59 PM   #15
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, I was playing BG when hubby brought home WW and I never finished BG yet and have started another game of WW. I also have BG11 and IWD, but haven't installed either yet. I guess that about says it all, huh!?
Mammawlin
p.s. I like BG and will finish it someday and even install BG11 and IWD to play, as I said "someday". Right now I am playing Dying Sun and WW again.

[This message has been edited by mammawlin (edited 05-25-2001).]
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 12:29 AM   #16
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

While I never played BG, I have seen it played, and I prefer the 1st person perspective for reasons mentioned by others above. I'm still pretty much a newbie to the comp/gaming world. My 1st love was Heroes of might and Magic. Then I bought a bunch of games when I got a decent comp set up. I played Might and Magic, but found them a little too challenging to start off with. I was constantly being killed right from the get go because of the rigid real time, lack of experience, and challenging AI vs. weak character stats. With WW, there seems to be more control over character development right from the beginning. I was able(with some great advice)to create some very stong characters right from the start. I need that. Needless to say, WW is all I currently play.
Dr.Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 04:04 AM   #17
onthepequod
Quintesson

Saz,
Thanks for the welcome!

Wyvern,
Again, thanks for the welcome! IMHO Moby Dick is great book but I haven't seen any of the movies, yet.

BK,

So, is that to say parties in W&W are predominatly or soley comprised of PCs? If so and your party is decimated causing you to "limp back to town" with one character do you just make new PCs or pick up NPCs? Forgive my ignorance.

RudeDawg,
What are Wintels?

Not TMF but USB. Although it's been a while since I've posted there (too busy). BTW, for anyone who happens to read this, I write this in confidence since I do not enjoy the same annonimity there. If I had my druthers, I would rather that those on this board new me to the extent of those on that one and that those on that one didn't know my username at all. Please respect this.

to everyone else,
You all have gien me various things to consider. If somethng else comes to mind please let me know. I would love to read your further thoughts.

Thanks!

onthepequod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 11:12 AM   #18
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

onthepequod - Moby Dick - an excellent read! The movie with Peck is quite good, considered a classic by many. I've only seen the version with Patrick Stewart was very good but I will have to see it again to really form an opinion.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 11:45 AM   #19
Fantaghiro
Dungeon Master

I bought this PC so I could play BG/TOSC, and have since played (among others) Torment, Fallout 1&2 and started playing BG2. After experiencing the character development offered in Torment and Fallout 1&2, I just got bored with BG2. That, combined with all the schlepping back and forth to fulfil those "Well, I WILL help you, but only if you do something for me" quests - it just got tedious.

When my local EB was selling W&W at half price, I decided to ignore all the bad reviews and buy it. I usually quickly roll a "test" party to check out the interface and find out if I like a game - before I knew it, it was 5 hours later and I was totally engrossed. I've not fired up BG2 again - probably won't.

This game has a lot of things to criticize, like slow (and I mean SLOW) loading times, it's chockfull of bugs, crashes at the drop of a hat, and it seems to be one of the few games that does not necessarily perform better on systems that exceed it's minimum requirements by too much. Judging by threads on this and other boards, most of the people experiencing technical problems have much spiffier systems than my lowly Celeron 466.

BUT ... all that is forgotten once you start playing! The character development is great, the puzzles are challenging, and the atmosphere is wonderful. Like realbinky said, it feels like YOU are there, not just your party! Many people here have played it multiple times, and I certainly am considering it. I've become aware of so much that I've missed, that I'll have to - for peace of mind. And I'm someone who NEVER replays games.

The best idea is to try it - I understand it can be picked up for around $20 in the USA now, and you can certainly spend $20 on something a whole lot less fun!

Cheers!

PS: Regarding your query about one character limping back to town ... you can roll new characters if you like, but you'd probably prefer to take your party to the temple for resurrection and healing. Eventually, party members will learn the appropriate spells so this is no longer necessary. Without too much effort, as your characters develop, dying is no longer a problem.

[This message has been edited by Fantaghiro (edited 05-26-2001).]
Fantaghiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 11:50 AM   #20
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

For some lucky people (myself among them) this game plays exactly as it should - fast loading and no crashes. You won't know until you try it on your own machine. If you experience problems, there is help to be found here.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote