Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I'm considering a very tank-heavy party for my adventure through BG: SoA & ToB.

Will I have an easier or a harder time when compared to a more "balanced" party?

Here's my potential party:

Protagonist: Berserker(13) dual-classed to Cleric OR Cleric/Ranger Multiclass
Jaheira
Minsc
Keldorn
Imoen (Yoshimo 1st)

I'll add in Sarevok in ToB

The party is very tank heavy, as you can see. The only character who won't stand up long in Hand-to-Hand combat very long is Imoen, who is there for storyline purposes. She also balances out the party very well. Another advantage of this party is that it's only got 5 members, which means that I can add in all of the other NPCs for their personal quests. This has two benefits:
1) I get to experience more of the game, by seeing more banters, ect..
2) More experience points for my characters. Both by having the XP divided by fewer characters, and by having additional quests from NPCs I otherwise wouldn't use.

[ 03-14-2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
Old 03-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Its disgusting easily in some bits like the D'Arnise keep, any bit were you have to fight mages will insure that your plans go to balderdash. Baldderdash I say!
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Balderdash?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Rubbish. Usually used to pooh-pooh an arguement (I've been watching too much Simpsons).

Generally, the fighter heavy parties do very well in BG2, your saving throws vs. spells are usually decent enough to get away with charging in and abusing mages willy-nilly.

The party above is very similar to one that I've taken through the game quite often, you'll be fine with them. Keldorn is particularly useful for his true sight abililty and dispel magic (nice if you do get into a touch of bother with mages).

One tip, Celestial Fury or FoA against mages.
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
Rubbish. Usually used to pooh-pooh an arguement (I've been watching too much Simpsons).
LOL! I thought you were referring to the Fixpack!

Quote:
One tip, Celestial Fury or FoA against mages.
Hehe, how about both?

FoA for protagonist, CF for Minsc (But Lilaricor until Minsc has ** in Katana -- that weapon is too much fun!).

[ 03-14-2005, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
Old 03-15-2005, 01:41 AM   #6
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I would take Korgan instead of Jaheira. But it all comes down to personnal taste.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:31 AM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
I would take Korgan instead of Jaheira. But it all comes down to personnal taste.
This isn't just personal taste, it's party balance... This is a good-aligned party. Korgan wouldn't work.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

I waltzed through Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal with an Elven Barbarian my first time through. Take my word that I didn't understand the magic system one bit (I only used offensive spells). I made it just fine, so it's certainly possible.

As Sir Degrader said, some area's in the game can be quite hard, a particular fight in the Planar Sphere for instance, but if you just keep hacking with your weapons and keep gulping down those potions then you'll be just fine, I suppose.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
Klutz
Manshoon

I LOVE tank-heavy parties. Even so, I'd consider squeezing a second arcane spellcaster for one reason: Improved Haste. The more Improved Haste casters you have, the quicker your combats will be. Improved Haste is also one of your best anti-Mage spells, since it lets you wear down Stoneskins and/or deal elemental damage via weapons through Stoneskins twice as fast, and the higher rate of attacks makes it more likely that you will keep mages continuously interrupted, even with a single point of elemental damage per hit.

Aerie is my usual secondary arcane caster, but Nalia, Jan, and Haer'Dalis all have their advantages also. (Bards do get level 6 Arcane spells.) The problem is if you want a 4-tank 5-member party, the only way to get 2 arcane casters is with a Fighter/Mage PC or NPC.

Also, with Jaheira in the party I'd lean towards Berserker/Cleric over Ranger/Cleric, simply because Jaheira will already have your Druid spells covered.

If you want to play it safe with alignments (read: don't want Korgan) and want another tank to consider, Mazzy is actually a fantastic tank with 18 dex, great saving throws, short sword proficiency which is perfect for Kundane, and can be specialized in another weapon of your choice by 12th level.

So see if this tank-heavy party looks good to you:

PC (Berserker/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric)
Jaheira
Keldorn
Mazzy
Aerie (Backup arcane caster and can do normal cleric casting while the PC cleric bashes heads)
Imoen

Or, 5-memeber 2-arcane 4-tank:
PC (Fighter/Mage multi or dualclass)
Jaheira
Keldorn
Mazzy
Imoen

* NPC INTERACTION SPOILER *
As for Korgan, as far as I know Aerie is the only NPC he has the potential to get into a lethal conflict with. Odd as it sounds, I've never heard of Korgan and Keldorn going at it. In that party, if I were to add Korgan, I'd actually drop Minsc and keep Jaheira.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
whathuh
The Magister

Whats the hard fight in the planar sphere? I just did it (tactics insane no less) and had a great difficulty on golems. I didn't feel like killing the two adamantites that sprang up in the control room, so I just ctrl-y'ed them. Can you blame me when I have a scimitar, long sword +1, and darts? I did kill one with my fire elementals and lots of MMMs, but jesus was that annoying...
whathuh is offline   Reply With Quote