Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2004, 09:46 PM   #11
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Not sure when I might start cav_again. But definately within a month before or after I get a job. the first month's subscription is free, but we'll see. Anyways gotta go feed the dog.

Add: FFXI is for PS2 and PC. I don't think there will be a Mac port, but I've seen stranger things happen.

[ 01-09-2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 01-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #12
ogopogo
Manshoon

http://www.anarchy-online.com/ Try it... It is free for first 7 days... I have played nearly all the MMORPGs and right now this is the best one... Been playing it for going on 3 years now...

SWG is terrible (I played for 4 months) The only reason I see that it is popular is because it is "Star Wars"...

EQ is a camp fest...

AC1 is full of exploiters now and AC2 is pretty much bottomed out now...

FFXI - I have not played but I have heard nothing good about it... It appaerntly (what I hear) has a terrible interface as well as it is very difficult to play because most of the player base is Asian and if you do not speak Japanese/Korean you will have a very hard time...

I would seriously consider giving AO a shot...It had a terrible launch but has improved steadly since and now is the best MMORPG out there...Steep learning curve but not too bad and you can progress at your own pace... It is a free download and free for 7 days to try...As well there are alot of new players entering the game...In fact it is flooded with "newbies"...
Old 01-09-2004, 10:47 PM   #13
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

That's right. I forgot about that one ogopogo. That was the first MMORPG I ever played. My bro was in on the beta test, and I jumped in with his account. And AFAIK they don't charge you for extra characters. Could have changed by now though. Do you get the whole package at once? The original AO and both expansions, or do you have to grab the expansions seperate?

[ 01-09-2004, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

Old 01-09-2004, 10:59 PM   #14
ogopogo
Manshoon

Yeah you can have 8 characters on 1 account... I am not sure if you get all the expansions with the free trial because I have not done it but I think it is only 30$ for the whole game anyhow(expansions and everything)...

IMO it is the best out there, it has great customer support and is a whole lot of fun... espessialy the earier levels...(below lvl 150)

Like I say it is a free download and free for 7 days to try out... That is a good deal in my book...And after you buy the game after the 7 days it is free for another 30 days...

So for about 30$ you get 37 days free to give it a shot... That 30$ gives you both the expansions as well as the game...

Oh and if you decide to try remember "Omni-Tek is your friend" ;p

edit--- actually you can have 24 chars on one account... 8 in each of the dimensions... RK1 is most popular (I would suggest going there as it is the most active) but there is also RK2 and the German dimension if you speak German...

[ 01-09-2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: ogopogo ]
Old 01-09-2004, 11:00 PM   #15
cav_again
Manshoon

Yeah, I've heard of Anarchy Online before too. See, this is why I posted this, cause I want to see what my options are befoer I devote my time to one game.

I'm still leaning towards waiting till march for FFXI on PS2. I think I can pretty much rule out any pc MMORPGs, atleast until I go to college in the fall(So I'm going to change this thread, can somebody move it to the Miscellaneous games forum???), but I've heard that about it ogopogo, and I've also heard that the asian players are extremely powerful compaered to western players, because it was released there first.

I think that Square will put a lot of effort into it in the long run though, and it uses the job system that I like, so I'm putting my chips on that.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:17 PM   #16
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Question. Is there only one server for FFXI? If so, why not more? I mean AO has more than one server. Most of them split by language. Then there's also the starting area's that they use to keep strong players from picking out newbies to knock around.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #17
Dayhawk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ok, first of all, everquest is really too old for anyone new to get the same experience out of it that really warrants playing it. there's no one at the lower lvls to group with and everyone just powerlevels their toons to the top atm. i'd go for ffxi, as it's newer, even if it's been out for a year in japan.

secondly, ffxi does have multiple servers. many of them. you just don't get an option to choose your server till you've had a toon for a bit. i don't know the exact details but you have to find an item or have someone have one ready for you to go to a specific server.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:32 AM   #18
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Wait for City of Heroes. Its an MMORPG with super heroes.

This thing look awesome
Old 01-10-2004, 12:36 AM   #19
ogopogo
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Question. Is there only one server for FFXI? If so, why not more? I mean AO has more than one server. Most of them split by language. Then there's also the starting area's that they use to keep strong players from picking out newbies to knock around.
FFXI has lots of servers... Not sure how many but several, as do most MMMORPGs... AO has only 3 which is rare... RK1 and RK2 are both english mainly servers ( you will find many Eupoeans (French mostly) on these)... There is one server that is German but I have a couple toons there and really it is as much english as it is German...

Most other MMORPGS have more then 10 servers and that is what makes AO better IMO... Nearly everyone is on only 2 servers (The German on is pretty queit)...

Also as far as the strong players vs the new players in AO you do not have to go up against them... You are given 1 minute to leave a PVP area if perhaps you enter on... So you never, unless you want, have to battle other players...

EQ has at least 10 servers I think more now
AC same
SWG has over 10 as well
FFXI not sure but I know it has several
DOAC has over 10

That IMO gives AO the edge because nearly everyone is "together"...

The starting areas are all free of PVP and are strickly PvM... If you want to PvP and play that way you will need major money (credits) to "twink out" your character to be competitive...

Problem, other then the language issue in FFXI, is that each additional char costs money...And I believe that, like SWG, you can only have 1 toon per server...(not 100% about that though)... but I know that it cost extra $ for each char...

Im not saying AO is the be all and end all of MMORPGs but I have played them all except FFXI and it is the best... My opinion (maybe not fair) is based on people I have played the other MMORPGs with,,,,
Old 01-10-2004, 01:49 AM   #20
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by cav_again:
What's Dragonraja?
It's a Korean made MMORPG. There's also english version of the game. here's the english version link.
www.dragonraja.com.my