Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2003, 11:43 AM   #21
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Or the USS reagan

star wars (the money black hole one not the show) was his pet idea and most of the time his brain was kinda out there
[img]graemlins/alien10.gif[/img]
You mean the program that bankrupted the Soviet Union and ended the cold war? The one that never really had significant money shifted its way but which produced the B2 Stealth Bomber and several smart weapons systems?

The Reagan "Star Wars" programs was one of the greatest scams the US ever pulled on the USSR.

I think the USS Reagan will end up being a Carrier, but would be a decent idea for a shuttle.

As for the telescopes idea..telescopes cannot conduct experiments and research in zero G. The Columbia mission carried out very valuable research that cannot be duplicated here on earth, among the items being researched were Prostate cancer and how it matastasizes to bone tissue, Metals fabrication and a lot of other very valuable science. Like it or not, Space research and exploration is Humanities future. We should put more money into it.

Edit: Nacht! Just read your last... You and I are on the same team again [img]smile.gif[/img] About NASA funding, NASA and Private Companies should be investing in space labs and manufacturing. It is the future.

[ 02-03-2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 02-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #22
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Amen Nachtrafe.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:49 AM   #23
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Well, this shuttle (which Nasa canceled this shuttle project called the X-33 and X-34)

I think it IS time for a new design. But Nasa has only 15 billion to play with. (in the Apollo days, they had a budget of 33 Billion).

The Nasa budget is less than 1% of the overall Goverment spending.
The X-33 and 34 programs had serious budget overruns and then they couldnt make the fuel tanks work (problems with trying to make them of cheap aluminum) Hopefully they will be able to come up with a better design utilizing some of the X-33 research. I heard about a new ION propulsion system being worked on that could cut a trip to Mars down to 39 days.....that would be awesome. Now all we have to do is come up with a viable single stage to orbit vehicle.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:27 PM   #24
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I like Liberty and Unity equally well. Both are great names and represent two of America's greatest ideals.

But since the latest tragedy has focused attention on some of the recurring problems with the Shuttles, it seems obvious that a completely new design is necessary.

So, in the spirit of new beginnings, I would suggest the name Pheonix.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #25
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
You mean the program that bankrupted the Soviet Union and ended the cold war? The one that never really had significant money shifted its way but which produced the B2 Stealth Bomber and several smart weapons systems?

The Reagan "Star Wars" programs was one of the greatest scams the US ever pulled on the USSR.
Who is the Bush's abm defence project trying to scam/bankrupt?

EDIT> I think Liberty is an awesome name.

[ 02-03-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 02-03-2003, 01:23 PM   #26
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Who is the Bush's abm defence project trying to scam/bankrupt?

EDIT> I think Liberty is an awesome name.
The answer is simple, it isn't a scam. It is an actual program...as far as anyone not cleared to see black project accounting records knows. It appears from an outside stand point to be an actual attempt to build a functioning ABM system. Sorry you don't like it or the polotics of it, but it is a good idea given the threats of North Korea and China both pose. Now before we hijack the thread by off topic comments, lets open a new thread.

Back On topic!
The Shuttle program is a vital and necessary part of the US budget. The medical advances made by space flights, and the spin off industries have been enourmously beneficial to the world not just the USA.

I think we should build a new design since NASA already said they wouldn't be building a replacement for Columbia. I think that the naming traditions should continue along the lines of Great Explorers, Significant accomplishments, Great Leaders and Enterprise should be a working Shuttle name somewhere along the line!

[ 02-03-2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 02-03-2003, 02:58 PM   #27
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Existing shuttle names:

Enterprise (YES, this was the FIRST shuttle - it only flew sub-orbital test missions and has never flown in space)

Columbia

Challenger

Discovery

Endeavour

Atlantis

I was thinking something like Kitty Hawk would be nice, but Liberty has a great ring to it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 02-03-2003, 03:03 PM   #28
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Ooohhh...Kitty Hawk! I like it. And, seeing as how it's the 100th anniversary of the Wright Bro's first flight...not a bad idea Micah. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Timber and Magik...Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think that we should invest *HEAVILY* in NASA, and expand the programs, and the flights. Expand the International Space Station, and spend a great deal more time, money, and energy in space. The technologies developed and the progress made will, indeed, help out the whole world.

Erm...can you tell that NASA/space is one of my pet passions? [img]smile.gif[/img] My best friend is a *REAL* space-o-phile. LOL...We used to skip school just to watch the Space Shuttle take off. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 02-03-2003, 03:07 PM   #29
MagiK

Have they decomissioned the USS Kitty Hawk yet? There is a US Navy CV by that name..or was, haven't kept up with them lately.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:11 PM   #30
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Have they decomissioned the USS Kitty Hawk yet? There is a US Navy CV by that name..or was, haven't kept up with them lately.
Not sure Magik. Wasn't the Kitty Hawk a destoryer? Damn...now I'll have to go have a look. [img]smile.gif[/img] *Scampers off to start searching*

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"