Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2001, 06:19 PM   #1
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Lately i cant be here a lot so i dunno if this has already discussed, but yesterday i received a mail saying that the images that the CNN emitted of palestinians celebrating the terrorist acts were actually images of them celebrating the invasion of Kuwait in 1991 !! And later when i talked about it with my dad, he told me that a guy had said the same in TV and he got blamed for that, does any of you know something about this ?? If its true (and im not saying it is, so dont blame me if finally this all is just sh*t, its just what i read) it would be pretty serious

------------------
"It feels good" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Old 09-18-2001, 06:26 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

OMG! I hope that is not true, as I have seen that footage from CNN as well. That would be really deceitful if true. It just can't be, I can't see CNN doing something like that to themselves, I mean, they couldn't be that stupid, they would have to know somebody would recognize old footage somewhere in the world. Again, I hope tis not true

------------------
Old 09-18-2001, 06:27 PM   #3
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Are you saying that they used this footage because they had no other of Muslims celebrating, or because CNN wanted people to believe they were celebrating despite the fact they weren't?

------------------
"The old law about "an eye for an eye" leaves everybody blind."
--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 09-18-2001, 06:27 PM   #4
skywalker
Banned User

This news, if true, is incredibly significant. Even if the Palestinians were celebrating, but they used footage from some other event, it questions the validity of the CNN news organization. I believe this would ultimately lead to its downfall!

Interesting thread! Thanx!

Mark
Old 09-18-2001, 06:27 PM   #5
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I have heard the same report, but cannot find anything on CNN's website about it. I know that if a report is made and it is false, they are required by law to print a retraction...but I cannot find one...maybe they are hiding it somewhere that it is not easy to get to, but if asked they can say "sure it is right here just click on this link and that link and this link and there you go"?!?

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-18-2001, 06:35 PM   #6
Conan

Ertai-OHF, That would be intresting..but I wonder who tells Ted what to air? Heres another question fitting for this type of thing..how did parts of the 4rth plane get 80 miles away from crash site if it wasn't shot down? I was on an international web site same night and they said the plane was shot down by...us. ???

------------------
*\Conan/*

Old 09-18-2001, 06:44 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
Ertai-OHF, That would be intresting..but I wonder who tells Ted what to air? Heres another question fitting for this type of thing..how did parts of the 4rth plane get 80 miles away from crash site if it wasn't shot down? I was on an international web site same night and they said the plane was shot down by...us. ???

I heard the same thing Conan, you mean the one that went down in Pennsylvania? Thing is, apparently a few people used their cellphones on that flight to call their families, and apparently (at least what I heard, if it is fact I cannot say) one of them left their phone on, and a family member on the other line heard him say "So are we ready guys?", which would imply that they tried to take over the hijackers, which may be why the plane went down. Who knows, maybe BOTH happened, i.e., they went after the hijackers at about the same time he plane was shot down? Dunno, have to wait I suppose and see if I hear more about that on the news.

------------------
Old 09-18-2001, 06:49 PM   #8
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I hope it's true. Not because it would discredit CNN (who's been insinuating alot and hampering investigation by reporting every single lead the FBI has had IMO) but simply because it would mean that people in the Middle East were not rejoycing at 4 hijacked planes and countless of deads.

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?
Old 09-18-2001, 07:11 PM   #9
G'kar

first off cnn reported today that AP ( assosciated press) filed a complaint with authorities over there because the camera operaters during that celebration were, and have been threatened with violence for reporting it was happening.
Second, the govt admitted that fighter jets were authorized by the president to shoot down any hijacked commericial jet(s) that threatended govt buildings/populated areas. they DIDN'T say that had actually happened though. this too I heard on cnn.
Ive watch the news more in the last seven days then I have in the last seven years, I wonder when I'll be able to give it up again?

[This message has been edited by G'kar (edited 09-18-2001).]

Old 09-19-2001, 04:13 AM   #10
Epona
Zartan

As I posted on another thread, I do not trust CNN. They do not necessarily lie, as such, but they do not give all the information. Unfortunately the media is not always to be wholly trusted, and it does not lead to their downfall!

On CNN it was reported "Taliban declares holy war on US"
On ALL BRITISH TV news stations it was reported "Taliban has said they will declare holy war on US if Afghanistan is bombed by US"

They are 2 very different things. I have also heard from several people that the film Ertai referred to is 9 years old. I believe that, because I have seen the inconsistencies in CNNs reporting with my own eyes, by comparing it with the 4 other British news channels I recieve. I also remember seeing very similar (my memory isn't so good that I can recall if they were exact) scenes of Palestinians celebrating the invasion of Kuwait in 1991. It is common practice for media to use old film stock if they do not have any images. Again, it is not exactly lying, and because it is common practice they will not have to justify themselves or apologise if the rumours are true.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."