Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Okay, this is going to contain spoilers who are going through the game for the first time... *Again: WARNING spoilers and then some *

Just how important is it to keep Imoen in your group once you find her? At the moment I have:

Me - human fighter
Minsc
Jaheira
Nalia
Aerie

I had Mazzy but when her quest to undo her sister's poisoner came she remains with her sister even after I waited two days once we gave her the cure. Must be a bug -- and yes, the game is fully patched. Thus, I will probably go get Keldorn because I love tanks backed up with spells.

Now Nalia has become a good mage, especially with her being able to memorize a boat load of new spells for her book. If I do find Imoen I have thought of replacing Nalia with her, but it will take me some time to get Imoen to the level Nalia is, at least in the memorized spell department. What do you think?
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

I guess you would at least want to rescue her. There's a whole ton of XP to be gotten doing that. However, to answer your question, I *believe* you can finish SoA without Imoen, but I think she just reappears in your party once ToB starts, assuming you have ToB.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Finding Imoen again is a given. Having her in your party after that point is completely optional. If you want her to sit out the rest of your game just chillin' in the Copper Coronet, that's completely up to you (although it does seem odd that she can quite easily catch a boat back to Athkatla, and you can't).

As for how important it is to keep her in the group once you find her, well, that's up to you. Imoen will most likely be Level 11 when you get her, so how she compares with Nalia as a Mage depends entirely on Nalia's level. I'll tell you this, though, that Nalia truly sucks as the party's only Thief. Dropping one primary Mage for another who's 3 or 4 levels behind may very well be a small price to pay for having 100% in Detect Traps, especially since you've also got Aerie there to help out with the Wizard spells.

Suggestion: I notice you've only got 5 party members. Why not take Imoen AND Nalia?
Old 10-25-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks for the responses. And, Six, the reason why I only have 5 in my party is because Mazzy won't join me until her poisoned sister is on her feet again. We did give her sister the cure and Mazzy said she was breathing easier but to please come back in a couple of hours. So I waited and came back. Mazzy tells me the same thing. So I go to the inn, sleep 8 hours, and return. Mazy tells me blah, blah, blah -- the same thing. That is why I have 5. I thought of having both Nalia and Imoen, but Jaheira isn't the best tank in the game. I find her more valuable as spell caster and using her +3 sling with +2 bullets, though I have utilized her plenty with her +3 staff for fighting.

Rather than waiting, I have decided to go get Keldorn. I'll miss Mazzy though because with her bow skills and Nalia's bow use they were great at putting some damage on enemies at a distance. Especially when it comes to spell casters.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

From what I understand, once Jaheira can cast *ironskins* her tank qualities greatly improve. I agree with your assessment, however. My first time thru SoA I also didn't like her tank ability and used her as spellcaster and backup tank. But the folks here at IW say that *ironskins* really rocks. I'll find out, I'm doing an "enigma" run and will *probably* have Jaheira in SoA. We'll see.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:03 PM   #6
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

To be a really good tank, Jaheira also needs a belt or gauntlets that boost her Strength.