Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... interesting. I run it with just the townmsk files vdubbed, and not the townhub files. I've seen that geometric shape you're talking about, and... IIRC, it was *because* I had vdubbed the townhub files. Try putting those back to normal and see what happens.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
jsalsb
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Killraven:
There is only one anomaly I see. The new files now show the town as it is visually in the game, while the old files were only colored geometric shapes on a black background.
I *think* I finally see your problem! Is it possible that, while vdubbing, you've accidentally overwritten the townmask files with the 'townhub' names? An easy thing to do, what with trying to keep all the names straight! Here's why I think this may be the case: The townhub movies look just like the town does in the game, while the townmask movies are just the imagemaps used to create the mouse-click hot-spots. If (1) you no longer see these geometric movies, and (2) you can no longer successfully click on buildings and gates in the village, then I suspect that some or all of your townmask movies have been overwritten with townhub names.

If this is so (try it out... what do you have to lose?) then simply reload the original townmask movies from the CD and re-vdub them.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #13
Killraven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Re-installed the game today. Just vdubbed the 3 townmsk files and not the townhub files (tho the tech tips say to do all 6). Also, I renamed and saved the original townmsk files just in case. And lo and behold, it worked! I now have access to all the buildings and gates. Nice to still have all my original characters and their experience. Many thanks Bungleau and all who posted replies! It's nice to have folks willing to take the time to help us access this game. If more problems present themselves along the way, I'll be posting again. For now, I'm ready to enjoy the journey - may all of you enjoy yours.
*Killraven*
Killraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #14
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Killraven:
Re-installed the game today. Just vdubbed the 3 townmsk files and not the townhub files (tho the tech tips say to do all 6). Also, I renamed and saved the original townmsk files just in case. And lo and behold, it worked! I now have access to all the buildings and gates. Nice to still have all my original characters and their experience. Many thanks Bungleau and all who posted replies! It's nice to have folks willing to take the time to help us access this game. If more problems present themselves along the way, I'll be posting again. For now, I'm ready to enjoy the journey - may all of you enjoy yours.
*Killraven*
HURRAH!!!!

Very glad to read that you are able to play the game now! Do keep us posted on your progress and, of course, if you have any problems you'll find help here!

Wyv
Old 03-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

There'll be some celebratin' in the Gael Serran tonight! Glad to hear you got it going again [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

*edit* At Wyvern's suggestion, I've reviewed the instructions in Tech Tips and have updated them. She will post the update when she gets a chance, so Killraven, please review that and let me know if it makes more sense (or not!).

[ 03-02-2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #16
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Killraven - thanks for pointing out the necessary edits needed in the Tech Tips thread!

Bungleau made the changes and I posted them. Hopefully they will not confuse another player!!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #17
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Just in case you did not know, the time limit on post editing has long since been lifted again. So now it is once again possible to edit one's own posts regardless of their age. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #18
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bsftcs:
Just in case you did not know, the time limit on post editing has long since been lifted again. So now it is once again possible to edit one's own posts regardless of their age. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Wouldn't have helped in this case as that particular entry was Willow's.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #19
jsalsb
Elminster

just to sound in on the vdub tech tipping...

I've installed W&W 4 times on 3 different computers (1 win2000 and 2 winXP) and I've always decompressed (ie, vdubbed) all 6 of the town avi's. I've never had a problem. I'm guessing that the mask files aren't compressed (being naturally smaller) so don't need decompressing for NT systems. But it doesn't make a difference if you do or don't.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #20
jsalsb
Elminster

actually... I just read the modified tech tip entry. Are we sure we've got it the right way around? Isn't it the 'hub' files that MUST be vdubbed, and the 'mask' files that are optional?

just checking... [img]smile.gif[/img]