Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I've played and restarted this game quite a few times in recent weeks (never getting out of chapter 1), and I'm seeking a party that will work for me, and hopefully be decent in the power department. Please let me know what you think of my latest brainstorm:

Paladin: long swords, axes for range (can use a shield this way) Main tank.
Gnome F/Ill: bows, greatswords. He's for spells and ranged combat. Melee if bad guys get through arrows
Elf F/Thief: bows, longswords. Archer, handles thief skills in the party. Chose longswords b/c elves get a bonus to hit
1/2 elf Bard: bows, staff. Staff for that spell later on. Bows for when not singing. Plan on going for a lot of weapons, depending on what we find.
Fighter dual to Druid. I plan on switching early, maybe level 3. Armor is the main reason for starting as a fighter.
Dwarf fighter/cleric. Hammers, mace. With DUHM, I think these guys are better tanks than regular fighters. The healing spells are nice too.

---------
edit: I might play that elf f/t as a f/m/t... I'm not sure yet. Since the thief class is one that you need, but reaches a point of crappiness, where your skills are high enough and you don't need them anymore, the ability to launch a few spells might really help. Invisibility will allow timely backstabs in extended combats. conversly, my thac0 will suffer, which is something I don't want with my primary archer who will be launching a hail of arrows most of the time.

My tactics go something like this: other than the paladin, the characters are all very good with missile weapons. I plan on killing everything I can before it can reach me. If things get too close, the gnome, dwarf, f(d)druid and paladin are all well suited to clean the mess up.

[ 09-20-2005, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
Old 09-20-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
ister
Drow Warrior

If you do go with F/M/T rather than F/T you'll have to be very careful with allocating scrolls. For most spells you have only one chance (invisibility and stoneskins being examples where the F/M/T may conflict with the F/I), and even for those of which there are more than one copy you'll need to be sure to buy them at exactly the right time.

The other small weakness I see is that only the F/C has a crushing weapon at the start, although maybe the druid will have clubs. You will run into a lot of enemies that are strongly resistant to piercing and slashing. I'd start the paladin with one in maces. By level 6 the paladin, the F/I, and the F/T will have 2 stars in crushing weapons and you'll be fine. I'd also give the F/C missile weapons, slings are reasonably effective.

On the other hand I think the best advice I can offer is to get on with playing the game already. You don't need the ideal composition to beat the game, anything with a bit of balance will work just fine.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I think I'll go with a F/T. There isn't a need for a third mage in any party IMHO, and I really would like my archer to have a good THAC0.

My only concern with this party is the lack of tanks. I guess the Paladin and Fighter/Cleric are good tanks, but I'd be more comfortable with another good one, and the armor needs to come off of the Fighter/Illusionist one day!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:

My only concern with this party is the lack of tanks. I guess the Paladin and Fighter/Cleric are good tanks, but I'd be more comfortable with another good one, and the armor needs to come off of the Fighter/Illusionist one day!
Not really... trust me in IWD you don't need more than 2 tanks. Even 1 actually is good enough... once you reach DE and SH you'll see what I mean. Most (and I mean *MOST*) of the game is dungeon crawling and you'll see that your strenght is in your archers. They are best against very narrow paths, enemy archers and [instert humanoid name here] shamans/mages whose spells have to be disrupted.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
ister
Drow Warrior

And in a pinch the F/I with a Mirror Image can stand in for a tank for a long time, and both the F-D and F/T have a good amount of staying power. You have plenty of tanking there - no-one needs too much protection, and you have plenty of other strengths.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #6
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Hey thanks everybody. I'm still "feeling out" this game, but I was having fun with this party.

I was thinking about how great a Cleric would have been in the Vale if he wasn't multiclassed, so I decided to forge a similar party, but with a dual classed Fighter (level 3) dual classed to Cleric.

Still having a lot of fun! [img]smile.gif[/img]