Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2001, 06:30 PM   #11
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Maybe it comes from some kids dressing up like ghosts to scare gullible people into thinking that supernatural creatures actually HAD come to their door and then demanding candy not to haunt their houses?

What would ghosts want with candy, anyway?
Old 10-31-2001, 06:32 PM   #12
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
What would ghosts want with candy, anyway?
How the hell should I know? But, how would the gullible people know? And it might not have started off with candy.

Old 10-31-2001, 06:33 PM   #13
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

Pangur Ban - this is the first time I have seen your cat sig - brilliant! I love it bits, lol!

Thank you!! It only went up a few hours ago. Saz is creating a text sig for me to go with it ...

Pang.

------------------
-------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------
"Sad is the society where people may walk their dogs in public without wearing a helmet and protective kneepads ...."
Old 10-31-2001, 06:36 PM   #14
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I have to work this evening, so no Halloween for me. Oh well! We did have a costume contest at work today, which was rather fun.

Cheers,

------------------

Welcome to Ironworks...over 4100 happy members and one old buzzard!
Old 10-31-2001, 06:41 PM   #15
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

I live right next to a primary school - so lots of trick or treating over here.

Er.....we had a little accident with one "frankenstein", but the rest of the day went superb and we dish out sweets by the handful!!

I feel bad that it didn't go just as well with everyone else.

------------------
Old 10-31-2001, 06:43 PM   #16
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Absolutely nothing doing where I am - now 11.20pm and not a single trick-or-treater has been heard. There were some fireworks - but people have been playing with them for a couple of weeks now, as usually happens in the run-up to Bonfire Night (Nov 5th).

Pangur Ban - this is the first time I have seen your cat sig - brilliant! I love it bits, lol!

Fljotsdale, just out of interest, could you tell me what Bonfire Night is all about, the history behind it, and what people do to celebrate it?

As for me, so far have had only a few trick-or-treaters, seems quiet for this neighborhood. I sure hope more show up soon, or I'm gonna be stuck with a mountain of candy!!

------------------
Old 10-31-2001, 06:46 PM   #17
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I have to work this evening, so no Halloween for me. Oh well! We did have a costume contest at work today, which was rather fun.

Cheers,
Ahhhhhh!!! Poor old buzzard! (((hugs))) Everyone hug the buzzard!

------------------

Here be Dragons!
Proud to be Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

"If I say something to you and it can be taken two ways, and one of those ways upsets you...I meant the other one."
Old 10-31-2001, 06:51 PM   #18
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Wah:

Er.....we had a little accident with one "frankenstein", but the rest of the day went superb and we dish out sweets by the handful!!

Not everyone who came calling to our house last year got sweets. Children with no costumes would up getting a bag containing either some brussel sprouts or an onion. ( Ah, brussel sprouts, the ideal child repellent .. ) 'Coz no one came calling this year, I'm now stuck with half a kilo of them !!

Does anyone else give out anything other than treats?

Pangrr Ban
Old 10-31-2001, 06:53 PM   #19
Garnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
How the hell should I know? But, how would the gullible people know? And it might not have started off with candy.

It didn't (start off with candy) Originally, small offerings of milk, bread, etc. were left out for any souls who might be wandering about enjoying the view.
Pangur is right about the Veil, though also the souls of those who have died might also pay a visit at this time. The ancestors of the jack o'lantern served as a nifty lighting source and as a scare-off for the less-than-friendly spirits who were thinking on dropping by.

The modern idea of trick or treating is, by my understanding, largely an American invention. It was originally an adult party time, then evolved into a method to keep children out of quite so much mischief and still have fun while their parents were partying hard. And candy is *so* much more kid-pleasing than milk and hard bread!

------------------
~Garnet FalconDance~

• Guardian of the Forests
  • Ranger-Protectoress of Ironworks
  • Scourge of Hobgoblins and Assorted Bad Nasties Everywhere![/list]

Old 10-31-2001, 06:54 PM   #20
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Fljotsdale, just out of interest, could you tell me what Bonfire Night is all about, the history behind it, and what people do to celebrate it?

As for me, so far have had only a few trick-or-treaters, seems quiet for this neighborhood. I sure hope more show up soon, or I'm gonna be stuck with a mountain of candy!!

I'll do the honors Ladyzekke,

It's actually dates back to a man named "Guy fawkes" who tried to blow up the British Parliament in 1605.

Hence, here in Britain, we burn a Guy Fawkes, who is rode about town to gain pennies - so sayeth the old say "PENNY FOR THE GUY" (geddit!)

Anyway, here's the in depth info: My mum made a "Guy Fawkes cake" for us today - sweet!

Fawkes, Guy (1570-1606), English conspirator, born in York. A Protestant by birth, he became a Roman Catholic after the marriage of his widowed mother to a man of Catholic background and sympathies. In 1593 he enlisted in the Spanish army in Flanders and in 1596 participated in the capture of the city of Calais by the Spanish in their war with Henry IV of France. He became implicated with Thomas Winter and others in the Gunpowder Plot to blow up Parliament as a protest against the anti-Roman Catholic laws. On the night of November 4-5, 1605, he was caught in a cellar underneath the House of Lords and arrested. Under torture he disclosed the names of his accomplices, and with them he was hanged. Guy Fawkes' Night is celebrated on November 5 in Great Britain and some other parts of the British Commonwealth with bonfires and fireworks.

------------------