Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2003, 05:51 AM   #21
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Time for some appologies:
It's been a while since I played Icewind Dale 2(started it again), and I never thought anything of the Knock spell, so I forgot about it.
To Magness, I mistook Dex Bonus for Dex Score over 10. Sorry 4 that.
I made a Fighter6/Rogue x in my new party. He is a dual short-sword wielding central assaulter, and is excellent at spotting backs to stab. He is an excellent character once you forget all about Pick Pocket, Use Magic Device and other skills a brute bully-like thief won't be using. A big difference from a Ranger x/Rogue 2x, concentrating more on combat then rogue skills.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:34 PM   #22
Magness
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Time for some appologies:
It's been a while since I played Icewind Dale 2(started it again), and I never thought anything of the Knock spell, so I forgot about it.
To Magness, I mistook Dex Bonus for Dex Score over 10. Sorry 4 that.
I made a Fighter6/Rogue x in my new party. He is a dual short-sword wielding central assaulter, and is excellent at spotting backs to stab. He is an excellent character once you forget all about Pick Pocket, Use Magic Device and other skills a brute bully-like thief won't be using. A big difference from a Ranger x/Rogue 2x, concentrating more on combat then rogue skills.
No problem, BoB.

Ranger/rogue and fighter/rogue builds are each good in their own way.

Ranger/rogues being a bit better for skills; fighter/rogues being better for feats.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:01 PM   #23
Sonic
Zhentarim Guard

Think about a Rouge/monk a rouge whit incredible cool abilitys and gains cool imunes (poison and more).AND think about a rouge whit magic resistanse.and if im not wrong if you dount yuse any armor you get AC bonus for Dex+Wisdom.And whit all theese abilitys i can say that this rouge is gonna rule on lvl 14/14 or higher.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:11 PM   #24
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

About the rogue-monk, imagine this:
Drow(magic resistance 11+1/level)
Monk(magic resistance 9+1/level) 15
Rogue(evasion, slippery mind, hamstring...)
THAT'S ONE WIZARD SLAYER!
Old 10-21-2003, 04:16 PM   #25
motub
The Magister

Yes, I've got to agree, even my Tiefling monk/rogue is really great for sneaking in, scouting the place out, finding the wizard/shaman and backstabbing him.

Even better, since I'm using the WeiDU ease-of-use mod to have some HoF items in normal mode, my little sneak has Caballus' Whispering Staff, so she usually silences him as well as almost killing him with the first blow.

She does also backstab when not hiding, but usually the battles are too hectic for me to bother moving her into position for that. Sometimes I get lucky, though (she kills her enemy then goes to assist another party member, and winds up backstabbing the second enemy). Overall, a very, very helpful character while fighting our way through the Goblin Warrens and the Horde Fortress, even at the lower levels. Didn't bother sneaking around much in the Ice Temple, but now that we're out of there, I think that her usefulness will begin to increase again, especially since she's nearly at the magic monk(9).

I also suspect (now that we're outside again) that my Druid is good enough at hiding to sneak up along with the monk/rogue and do her part to set up the kill-zone (I just loooooove Entangle), while the monk/rogue decoys the enemies to swarm her.

So I might almost suggest dualling the rogue with a fighter (so that s/he can survive the initial "decoy" damage) and having a separate ranger (for the hiding and Entangle). But then, I like tag-teaming better than hanging my hopes on one character anyway [img]smile.gif[/img] .
motub is offline   Reply With Quote