Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Are there any mods for GW or custom UI's etc.? Or are they forbidden by the ToS? By mods I mean like fan-made improvements or handy tools for the game, not hacks or anything.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

You can't mod the game as EVERYTHING is server side. There are some tools that allow you to make and test character builds like the ones below.

Anything else you see that claims to allow you to mod or edit or anything else like that is probably a key logger.

The Edge V2.0

GW Manager

No Customer UI's yet but the fans have been asking for ages for ways to customise your UI beyond what you can do at the moment in your options screen.

For example my UI looks like this.

Basically I changed where the Monster HP, skills and skill activation bars are to make it easier to see without my eyes also leaving my HP and Skills.

It is against the EULA and ToS for you to mod the game unfortunately.

[ 08-19-2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 08-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Mine looks something like that too. I can't seem to resize the party window though? Not sure if it's resizable.

Pity about them not allowing mods. WoW encourages it and has thousands for the game which I love. Blizz have scripts in place to detect if a mod simply provides more tools and customization or if it actually hacks the game. I have at least 30 I use daily with WoW. I feel a modding-base would really make GW shine. Even ones to customize the UI more (change the colour and look) would be great.

I wonder if anyone has suggested these mods to be sent directly to the devs for inspection and then hosted on the GW site? This way, rather than just being released randomly on the internet they would have the GW "seal of approval" as a safe and harmless mod for the game.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:56 PM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

The only bad thing about A-Net is they don't accept things like that directly. They prefer all of that stuff to be posted on the fansites like Guru or Gwonline. Have you seen the Beta UI skin I prefer that to what we have now. Don't know why they changed it.

Party window can be resized without using the options. Just click and drag the bottom right hand corner of the party window.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thanks, found it right in front of me [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 08-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Rather than making another thread...

Do you know any good assassin guides? I need like a FAQ or something.

Also, exactly what is the deal with unlocking skills? I got a purple yeti skin or something and then it told me I had unlocked a warrior rune with similiar stats. I tried equipping the skin but it wouldn't go anywhere, nor would double-clicking in an attempt to 'apply' the item. It said I unlocked a rune but it wasn't a rune...I found a purple bow too and when I identified it, it said I unlocked a shocking-string skill or something to that effect. How does this all work?

What is the deal with runes too? I see gold runes that are powerful but always seem to have penalties like -35 health etc. Green runes seem better than gold, even though the color co-ords seem backward.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:13 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

You salvage runes from armour that has them - if you use superior or advanced salveage kits. You can equip runes if they are runes for your primary class (so only assassin runes will equip for you). Blue runes give +1 in stats with no penalties. If you want +2 or +3 stats runes equipped, they come with a penalty to HP's - so you have to decide what runes you want to equip - ie what matches your build.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Runes can be obtained by using an Expert Salvage Kit or Superior Salvage Kit on Salvage Items such as Ettin's Pauldrons or Seeker's Vests. Only a non-white salvage item can have a rune. A blue salvage item will always have a minor rune. A purple salvage item will always have a major rune. A gold salvage item will always have a superior rune. Salvage items containing runes for campaign-specific professions can only be obtained in their respective campaigns. If you salvage the salvage item before identifying it, you will receive an unidentified rune.

Runes are also available for purchase from rune traders in cities. Since you are not identifying the rune if you buy it from a trader, you do not unlock the rune for PvP. Rune traders will not always have high demand runes in stock.

You can also unlock runes at a Priest of Balthazar. This only unlocks the rune for PvP and does not put one into your inventory.

Runes come in three classes:

Attribute runes provide a bonus to a single attribute such as Fire Magic or Strength. You can only use attribute runes for attributes of your primary profession.
Absorption runes provide damage reduction against physical damage. Only primary Warriors may use these.
Vigor runes provide a bonus to Health. They are not linked to any profession and thus can be equipped by everyone. These are the only runes that can be accurately determined without identifying them, as their icons are unique.
For each type, there are three degrees of potency (Minor, Major and Superior). They affect each type as follows:

Attribute runes:
Minor provide +1 to an attribute.
Major provide +2 to an attribute and -35 health.
Superior provide +3 to an attribute and -75 health.
Absorption runes:
Minor provide 1 damage reduction against physical damage.
Major provide 2 damage reduction against physical damage.
Superior provide 3 damage reduction against physical damage.
Vigor runes:
Minor provide +30 health.
Major provide +41 health.
Superior provide +50 health.
A rune's icon is a piece of parchment with a symbol on it. Runes linked to the same profession have the same symbol and vigor runes have their own symbol. The shape of the parchment varies with the potency of the rune. Linked runes have their profession noted in their name, even if not identified. For example, an identified "Mesmer Major Rune of Fast Casting" or unidentified "Necromancer Rune." So, if a rune is not identified, you can still tell which profession it is for (or if it is a vigor rune) and its potency.

Use
To use a rune, double-click it and then click on the piece of armor you want to apply it to. Only one rune can be placed on a single piece of armor at a time. If you apply a rune to a piece of armor that already has one, it will replace the old rune (after asking you to confirm the replacement). You can only use runes linked to your primary profession (Vigor runes are linked to all professions). For example, a Monk/Ranger could not use a rune of Minor Marksmanship, while a Ranger/Monk could.

Stacking
Vigor runes, absorption runes, and runes affecting the same attribute do not stack within their own type. You can only receive the benefit of the highest potency rune from each. However, health penalties from all attached runes will stack.

Example: A Rune of Minor Vigor adds +30 Health. If you attach one to your chest armor and another to your head armor, you will only gain a bonus of +30 health. If you then attach a Rune of Major Vigor to your hand armor, you will only gain a bonus of +41 health; the two minor runes will effectively be overridden by the higher-potency rune.

Headgear that provides +1 to attributes does stack with runes. For example, a Wicked Scar Pattern (+1 Curses) with a Superior Rune of Curses applied to it would add a total of +4 to your Curses attribute. Note that absorption runes stack with the effects of Knight's Armor or Ascalon Armor.

Recovery
You can use an Expert Salvage Kit on armor that you have attached a rune to in order to attempt to recover the rune. This will destroy the armor and either recover the rune or salvage materials.

Note: As with all other items obtained from character creation, starter armor cannot be salvaged to recover runes. However, collector's armor can be salvaged to recover runes.

If you want to keep the armor but change the rune currently on it, simply apply a new rune to the armor. The new rune will replace the old one.

Taken from from http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Rune

[ 08-30-2006, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 08-30-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Weapon upgrades (also sometimes referred to as mods) are magically enhanced weapon parts that improve the characteristics of the weapon they are applied to.

Weapon upgrades can be salvaged from a weapon and applied to another weapon, as opposed to weapon modifiers, which can not be salvaged.

Note: Weapons that do not have any upgrades on them are often called "clean", while those with the maximum value for their upgrades are called "perfect".

A weapon can contain a maximum of 2 upgrades: one "prefix" and one "suffix", as explained below.

Prefix and Suffix Syntax
A weapon has an upgrade on it if it has a prefix or suffix added to the weapon's name. For instance, if a "Fiery" hilt were applied to a Long Sword, it would be called a "Fiery Long Sword". If a pommel "of Defense" were then applied, it would be called a "Fiery Long Sword of Defense".

Prefix Weapon Suffix
Sword Hilt Sword Sword Pommel
Fiery Long Sword of Defense

Acquisition
Weapon upgrades may be salvaged from weapons that contain them by using an Expert Salvage Kit or Superior Salvage Kit. Salvage attempts are not always successful, sometimes the upgrade is destroyed and you receive only crafting material in return. If a weapon has two upgrades (a prefix and a suffix), the salvage attempt will only be able to recover one of them, determined randomly. Regardless of whether a salvage attempt works or not, the weapon will be destroyed in the process.

Prefixed and/or suffixed weapons obtained from quests, collectors, or the PvP Character Creation process cannot be salvaged to get their upgrades.

Vampiric and Zealous upgrades occur only on rare weapons.

Usage
Simply double-click the upgrade, and then click on a compatible weapon to equip it (you could not add a staff upgrade component to a hammer). A weapon can only have one prefix and one suffix upgrade. Applying a suffix upgrade to a weapon that already has a suffix upgrade will replace the old upgrade. You receive a warning before the old upgrade is destroyed.

Taken from http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Weapon_upgrade
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #10
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Green Items are usually Max Damage Weapons dropped from certain bosses. They can not be modded (I.e you can't add a Shocking string to a green Bow)

If you try to sell one to a merchant then they will only be work 35 Gold. Most Green items have perfect stats(except the ones on Shing Jea Island).

A list of Green Items can be found below.

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Index_of_unique_item_lists