Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2002, 07:09 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I don't really watch television but I was over a buddy's house and he was watching this show, but what I really want to know is why they keep coming out with shows that follow around celebrities, and in this case has beens? I mean I know I don't want to watch a 230 lb Anna Nicole eat everything in sight, so why does the rest of america? What makes producers think people want to watch stuff like this? It kind of makes me sick to think that this could entertain a multitude of people. Have the standards for what entertains us dropped so much that this is considered good television, or are there just so many channels that producers struggle to fill them so much that they create shows like this. Either way there is something inherently wrong with a society that has so many channels they fill need to create pointless dribble to fill them all., or a society that is so caught up in celebrities that they need to have shows that just follow them around in their daily lives. I mean who really cares what any celebrity had for breakfast? Are people's lives so dull that they find it interesting or entertaining to watch the lives of celebrities and their families? Isn't there something else that people could worry about other than what this celebrity wore on what show, or whats going on with ozzy and family? Someone please help explain this to me because I am just not grasping any rhyme or reason to this ominous situation.

EDIT: btw anyone offended by the title to this, your too touchy

[ 08-05-2002, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe ]
Old 08-05-2002, 07:11 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I've long given up on trying to find any semblance of sense or intelligibility on TV. We get basic cable for news and weather and that's about it, and most of that I could get off the Internet anyway.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-05-2002, 07:15 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
There's a button on your TV, and if you press it all your problems will be solved.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Yeah the off button, believe me it is utilized most of the time. The only thing I watch on my television anymore is movies, which I feel are the works of literature of our generation, no one reads that much anymore, why read when you can watch a glowing box, and get everything you would have out of a book, in a 90 minute special effects spectacular. I have almost no hope left for the rehabilitation of the world.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:47 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm all for not watching Anne Nicole! Or much tv at all! I mainly watch movies or the History and Discovery channels anyway. Errr umm and I watch the old Andy Griffith show reruns. For some reason I laugh my ass off watching that show. Yea I know, doesnt take much to entertain me [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2002, 09:01 PM   #6
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

In case you didn't catch the show, consider yourself lucky. The highlights featured a heafty anna nicole, looking for houses, she went in peoples homes, and ate food out of their refrigerator, messed up the covers on their beds, humped the beds too, and then she laid down in their bathtub, which she was too fat to get out of without help. Television at its best folks!
Old 08-06-2002, 10:55 AM   #7
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

Look, television is crap these days. Books are much better. The only stuff I watch on TV is news, docos, and my two TV weaknesses, Charmed and Star Trek. Also any anime that they care to put on, but that's it.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:51 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
The only thing I watch on my television anymore is movies, which I feel are the works of literature of our generation, no one reads that much anymore, why read when you can watch a glowing box, and get everything you would have out of a book, in a 90 minute special effects spectacular.
Speak for yourself.
Most people I know would pick a book over the telly anytime and would never even suggest that you "get everything you would have out of a book" from watching TV. I guess it just depends how you look at it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 12:08 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
In case you didn't catch the show, consider yourself lucky. The highlights featured a heafty anna nicole, looking for houses, she went in peoples homes, and ate food out of their refrigerator, messed up the covers on their beds, humped the beds too, and then she laid down in their bathtub, which she was too fat to get out of without help. Television at its best folks!
Gaaaaak!!! [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img] That sounds absolutely disgusting. What is the point of it?

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-06-2002, 12:09 PM   #10
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I asume hi can`t only turn of the tv when he visit a friend`s house anyway and the tv programs today is only crap and bullshit the only thing i look at on the telly those times i look is the news and the weather forecast then the tv is off. Good i have two tv`s because Tone love to look at it so she can watch it in another room LOL [img]tongue.gif[/img]