Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I know this has been out for a bit, but I'd like to know, what is really the difference between 3rd Edition and 3.5? Because after getting all three books for the 3rd Edition set, they stopped production of modules because Monte Cook and friends were already coming out with 3.5, and I don't really have the money to get them.

Thanks
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

I bet you're looking for something like this:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a
Old 08-17-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

What they did was alter some of the races and classes (biggest change: the ranger). In addition, they changed damage reduction and other rules. However, the biggest change is a better explanation/definition of the rules. This is especially true of the Monster Manual 3.5.

Honestly, you can do without them if you choose. The previous rule set works just fine. Many people view it (I will go out on a limb and say correctly) as a money grabbing tactic by WotC.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
Honestly, you can do without them if you choose. The previous rule set works just fine. Many people view it (I will go out on a limb and say correctly) as a money grabbing tactic by WotC.
Dungeon Magazine said there were some slight changes like that, so that was the first notion that popped into my head too, but even Dungeon Magazine is grabbing at money. They limiting their module selections from 4-6 every two months from 2 every two months just to makes a few extra bucks. Was kind of funny though of how many people wrote in complaining, so eventually they'll have to change it back
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:49 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well actually alot of thinga has changed.
With 3.5 you get the most used and best of the crap.. er sorry best of the best from the add on materials like feats, and some Prestige classes.

DMG is the book that has gotten a well deserved many more pages add.

Combat has been refined, skills has been better explained and been upgraded. Some new and some have disapeared. Races have changed. Like special weapons for races are considered martial etc.

The classes ahs changed and the Druid got the best overhaul actually, Ranger got a pretty desent change, as well as the poor lil' bard.

Feats, more of them, some have changed and some have disapeared. Like ambidexterity is more or less one with two weapon fighting.

Combat has been made more like the later D20 games, no more partial actions. Refined and better lists of cover, striking objects. Weapons for small characters etc.

Magic have changed as well. ALOT of spells have been changed, some not so much, some not at all, but some have gotten major overhauls. Cloudkill is now a feared spell again. Harm won't kill off every dragon you get close to etc.

Monster Manual have gotten a really good overhaul. My favourite add on is that they have written up tactics for the monsters so that you can get a better opinion on how the monster will act and how to implement it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So concluding this, worth to get? Yes indeed. But if you are short of cash, download the free changes from Wizards and read through it. Players handbook have alot of changes with the spells and all. DMG and Monster Manual you can survive without for some time or with the PDF conversions I reckon.

Cheers.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:54 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

http://www.montecook.com/review.html

Monte Cook, one of the designers from 3E has a very well written review here
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:13 AM   #7
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Forgot to mention...

Don't expect it to be perfect, nothing ever is

It still has some flaws, and if you liked 2:nd edition over version 3, I think you still will like 2:nd edition better.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote