Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

In the banterpack interaction, Nalia tells Imoen that she is an archmage just like her. It got me thinking. What exactly is an archmage? Is there a precise definition, or is it just a term for "very powerful mage?"
Old 04-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Well, I've just read through the Elminster books and the term 'archmage' is used to describe the man himself and any number of mages of different races and good or evil.

I guess therefore it's just a word for a very powerful mage. I would also suggest that age and venerability are a criteria - I don't remember young mages being labelled as such, no matter their power.

Edit: I would not classify Imoen as an archmage myself, but then Nalia is a complete romantic when it comes to the 'adventuring' world which may be why she makes this mistake.

[ 04-27-2005, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Its a prestige class, or just means pwnage at magic (consequently, pwnage at D&D).
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
Well, I've just read through the Elminster books and the term 'archmage' is used to describe the man himself and any number of mages of different races and good or evil.

I guess therefore it's just a word for a very powerful mage. I would also suggest that age and venerability are a criteria - I don't remember young mages being labelled as such, no matter their power.
Raistlin?

Just a term for a very powerful mage... USUALLY venerable
Old 04-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

In the older versions of pen & paper D&D "archmage" was the title a mage would receive upon reaching 18th level; in other words, able to cast 9th level spells.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
mad=dog

In some areas a wizard become an archmage by defeating another archmage through magic. Others define it by mastery of dweomers or alike - e.g in ADOM an archmage can cast Wish at will.
I don't think a Fearūn wizard go to sleep as mage and wake up as archmage. It's a process and a title of the people. When a sufficient amount of people refer to you as archmage you have become an archmage. Much like the title hero.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:59 AM   #7
K2Grey
Dungeon Master

ToB Imoen is lv20+ half-god mage, that would make her archmage for sure.
K2Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:17 AM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Archmage? I had a stint as a contortionist sorceress prostitute in Waterdeep a few years back. Heard "Archmage!" a lot in those days, believe you me.

[ 04-28-2005, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:56 AM   #9
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

i would assume that an archmage would be the head mage for a perticular orginsation/branch/sector or whatever. daveron was an archmage, he was the top mage in the iron thrones mines in bg 1. but having said that it contradicts what nalia says, so im not sure, but thaqts what i have always assumed it to mean
Old 04-28-2005, 08:01 AM   #10
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I always just assumed that and archmage is a mage who is either older or more powerful than other mages. But mad=dogs explanation of being referred to as an archmage sounds better.