Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2001, 08:10 PM   #1
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

I've been a gamer as long as I can remember: board games, card games, word games, crosswords, RPGs, strategy games, war games, Chess, Go, CRPGs. And this secret has haunted me since the beginning.

*sigh*

I hate mazes. There, I said it. I HATE them. Always have.

In kindergarten, I would get my papers sent home, because I would just draw a line from the beginnning to the end of the maze, AROUND the whole thing. Or through it. or I would just refuse to do it.

I CAN do them, I just don't like them. They annoy me.

I have a high IQ, for a slacker/gamer/geek like myself. The IQ tests they give children usually have at least one maze on them, and I did very well on them. But I still hate them. In college, we took various spatial relations tests, and I do well on them also. I just hate mazes.

I'll tell you why. I tend to be obsessive-compulsive. It doesn't affect me badly, usually. Some things just trigger it. Mazes are one of those things. I find myself NEEDING to explore EVERY BRANCH. I NEED TO FIND THE PATTERN OF THE MAZE. And, therin lies the problem.

If you remember, I'm in the Serpent Temple. Killed the Naga. and now I'm in the elevator maze. and i'm fuming. I know that there is a path, but I can not find a logical pattern. There were no clues explaining the elevators and switch combinations. I can't see how a player can just get through it, without relying on luck, or a map / walkthrough.

So, I've spent the last 30 minutes rtying to find a pattern. A reason that the Temple acolytes would have a maze of elevators in the temple.

Thanks for letting me rant.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 08:20 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Dawg -

I'll give you a hint which I hope will help. You start out in the NW corner of this maze and you want to get to the SW corner - Use reverse logic to solve that puzzle. Once you have gotten to the SW corner and flipped the lever there, you want to get to the NE corner - a chute will have opened!

Hope that gets you on your way. If you want a map of the area - Check Xignal's site: http://www.volberding.com/WHints/index.html

WYv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 08:23 PM   #3
Night Blade
Dungeon Master

I share your disdain for mazes... but I have some bad news for you.
A certain area in the game makes the Serpent Temple look like a piece of cake! I won't tell you what place (unless you want to know)... but you'll be there before you know it.

I'm still there struggling in darkness for an eternity...

Good luck!

------------------
Not many other adventurers can say they have made love to both Kerielle and Erzebette... at the same time
Night Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 08:25 PM   #4
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Night Blade:
I share your disdain for mazes... but I have some bad news for you.
A certain area in the game makes the Serpent Temple look like a piece of cake! I won't tell you what place (unless you want to know)... but you'll be there before you know it.

I'm still there struggling in darkness for an eternity...

Good luck!

Yeha, I read one of your earlier posts.
Stout mines.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 05-21-2001, 08:29 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

IMO, Rude Dawg, the stout mines are nowhere near as bad as the Elevators in the Serpent Temple.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 08:38 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, the spoily:

SPOILER ALERT:

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

To get to the SW room where the switch is from the northwest room, keep going straight. Take the west elevator from the NW room, walk down the corridor to the other elevator, down, STRAIGHT ACROSS the SE room to the other elevator, and down...through the tunnel and up the next elevator to the SW room.

To get back, retrace steps to SE room. When you get off the elevator there, turn LEFT, go up S elevator from the room, go down hallway, go down elevator at end to NE room, turn right and take N elevator to chute.

From the Serpent Master's room: the Rightmost elevator returns you to the NW room (to go get the Tome of Fire) and the Leftmost elevator returns you to the SW room (to open Elyssia's stairway).

-Sazerac
Old 05-21-2001, 08:41 PM   #7
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Thanks, All !

Copied, pasted, and printed, Saz!

Be back inna bit with tonight's episode of the Continuing Adventures of RudeDawg!

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 05-22-2001, 05:42 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

...............|....................|........
....exit ---- ---- 2.....4 ---- ---- 3..

...lock ---- ---- 5.....2 ---- ---- 5..
.............lever..................3........

Elevator 6 works after switching the lever and leads to the Serpent Master (one way)
Elevators 7 and 8 work after switching the lever at the Serpent Master and operate between the Serpent Master Room and the Maze.
The lock needs the Skull Key and opens the way to Ellysia. Also the Skull Key opens the room with the Tome of Fire in the temple (on your way to the maze).
Evil take all spoiler haters!
Damned!! Ignore the dots. They are here to move the lines into correct positions.

[This message has been edited by Radek (edited 05-22-2001).]

Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 12:55 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Whoohoo Radek! Another ASCII map artist! Put this one in the "Best Tips" thread!

The "other" ASCII map artist I was referring to was Wyvern...if you've ever found her Wizardry 6 walkthrough on the Internet, you'll know what I'm talking about! Saved my butt in that game on more than 1 occasion.

-Sazerac
Old 05-22-2001, 01:00 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

RudeDawg wrote:
Quote:
I have a high IQ, for a slacker/gamer/geek like myself. The IQ tests they give children usually have at least one maze on them, and I did very well on them. But I still hate them. In college, we took various spatial relations tests, and I do well on them also. I just hate mazes.

I'll tell you why. I tend to be obsessive-compulsive. It doesn't affect me badly, usually. Some things just trigger it. Mazes are one of those things. I find myself NEEDING to explore EVERY BRANCH. I NEED TO FIND THE PATTERN OF THE MAZE. And, therin lies the problem.
I wouldn't say "obsessive-compulsive", RudeDawg. From what I've seen of you, you seem to have a very keen analytical sense, accentuated with a strong sense of curiosity. It leads naturally into exploration and understanding "why things work".

I have that too, to a large extent. I explore EVERYWHERE I can in a game area, even to the point of routinely turning towards corners in order to "fill out" my map in the game as much as possible...I hate ragged edges!

I say it's the Virgo in me doing it, actually.

-Sazerac