Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2004, 04:58 PM   #11
dplax
Jack Burton

The first time I got on the net was when my brother showed me hotmail at his workplace about six or seven years ago.

Old 07-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #12
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

my first time was when I was house setting for my neighbor who was moving, I had just had Caleb, he was still in the hospital, and I was watching her house, my husband was sleeping, and I was just going to see what it was about, this was at 9 pm mind you, he came over before going to work at 5 am [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] and I had no clue what time it was, spent the entire night in a chat room
it was about 5 years ago

[ 07-03-2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 07-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #13
Animal
Gold Dragon

Geez, kids!

Doesn't anybody remember the iNet, Compuserve days? You'd spend more time trying to connect to the BBS than you actually spent on it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2004, 05:37 PM   #14
Grojlach
Zartan

I (and a few class mates) actually managed to bluff my way through an extensive high school thesis about the moral implications of the Internet as a mass medium purely based on articles we'd read about it, way back in 1997 - I'm not even sure what it was exactly that we ended up writing down, but I'm pretty sure it's laughably bad if you put it in a modern day perspective. Good thing our teacher had hardly ever heard of the Internet himself - we suckered him into rewarding our creative bungling with a 9.6 out of 10, despite the fact that we'd spent about 5 minutes online during the entire 6 month project, when we used the world's slowest connection at our local library to download a picture of Evil Bert (of Sesame Street Fame) being caught red handed with Pamela Anderson. Ah, those were the days.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:41 PM   #15
aleph_null

Animal, I remember when my Compuserve email address was a bunch of numbers with a dot (or was it a comma?) somewhere in the middle...

... does that count? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2004, 05:45 PM   #16
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null:
Animal, I remember when my Compuserve email address was a bunch of numbers with a dot (or was it a comma?) somewhere in the middle...

... does that count? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
No, it doesn't count.

Back in the good old days, we used regular mail, not this newfangled e-mail. We didn't even know what e-mail was. We had to walk to the mailbox, uphill in the snow bothways, to get our letters printed on paper.

*walks away muttering about postage stamps and envelopes*
Old 07-03-2004, 05:49 PM   #17
aleph_null

Paper? Paper...

... OH! Like next to the toilet, right?

Old 07-03-2004, 06:06 PM   #18
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
Geez, kids!

Doesn't anybody remember the iNet, Compuserve days? You'd spend more time trying to connect to the BBS than you actually spent on it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Do you remember Prodigy Animal? That too was good. In 1990.. Before that, BBSing in ANSI graphics! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 07-03-2004, 06:19 PM   #19
Animal
Gold Dragon

Yup, I remember Prodigy. All this "good old days" talk has sure brought up some memories.

I remember when I first saw Bard's Tale and being totaly blown away by the graphics! [img]smile.gif[/img]

You're probably around the same age as me, Ziroc. I've got a full, working Apple IIc sitting in my office, along with a Vic-20, TRS-80, Commodore 128, and a Tandy 1000.

I never did beat Dungeons of Daggorath on the TRS-80. Maybe it's time to go play some.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:16 PM   #20
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I remember... I had gotten AOL 5.0 and was pretty excited about it. My dad taught me how to go to websites (because I had never been on the net) and the first thing I went to was a Legend of Zelda website. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: I even remember my first screen name!!! It was "ZELDAFREAK178" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 07-03-2004, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: SomeGuy ]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi